Tea

Options
So I have a question. I drink a lot of water but every now and then I like to drink unsweetened tea with sweet and low. Do Yall think that's okay especially when trying to lose weight?

Replies

• cazpom37
    cazpom37 Posts: 88 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i love my tea. i couldn't get through my day without it. i drink water too but i prefer a good cuppa! i use sweetner too and skimmed milk and i've still been able to lose weight... :smile:
  • kasey35126
    kasey35126 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh okay mine is just plan Lipton tea but I may have to try the earl grey thank you!!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You will find alot of tea drinkers on here. Sometimes they come together and talk about their favorite flavors and brands, and how to make a perfect cup----love it! :)
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of tea a day, always with a packet of no calorie sweetener. It gets me my liquids since I don't love plain water and prefer hot drinks.
  • Tialuna18
    Tialuna18 Posts: 9,591 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some say that caffeinated tea's can dehydrate you but I've never had an issue with having my tea and weight loss : o If I do drink orange pekoe I try to limit myself to using about half a cup of milk a day sometimes a quarter and that gets me usually 3 cups. :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Tialuna18 wrote: »
    Some say that caffeinated tea's can dehydrate you but I've never had an issue with having my tea and weight loss : o If I do drink orange pekoe I try to limit myself to using about half a cup of milk a day sometimes a quarter and that gets me usually 3 cups. :)

People say that, but they are wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15467100
  • bhikku
    bhikku Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Green tea is the way to go for me. It's a great appetite suppressant. I fill a 2-gallon pitcher with hot tap water, throw in several tea bags and let it steep for a while. Then I keep the pitcher in the refrigerator. Every day when I come home from work I immediately down a pint of cold green tea and that dangerous urge to snack before dinner goes away.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Tea is necessary for me, it shouldn't hinder you much at all
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a few cups of tea every day. I enjoy a wide variety of different types. Same with coffee. I've lost about 70 lbs. And a bit of no-cal/low-cal sweetener hasn't been proven to be harmful to my knowledge.

Eat and drink what you enjoy within your calorie target and you'll lose weight.
  • Ni_kki
    Ni_kki Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you end your day without exceeding your calorie allotment then you should be fine. Even if you used real sugar.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of tea. If it's unsweetened without milk you probably don't even need to log it. If you have milk and /or sugar you should consider logging.

One thing you have to be careful of (I found this out yesterday) is that tea contains tannic acid which impedes iron absorption and can lead to iron deficiency and anaemia. Small amounts of tea are fine but too much is bad.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I drink loads of tea. If it's unsweetened without milk you probably don't even need to log it. If you have milk and /or sugar you should consider logging.

One thing you have to be careful of (I found this out yesterday) is that tea contains tannic acid which impedes iron absorption and can lead to iron deficiency and anaemia. Small amounts of tea are fine but too much is bad.

Teas contain tannins, but not tannic acid (a particular tannin). Black and Oolong Tea contain significant tannins while green tea has very little, and most herbal teas have none. I drink tea for the tannins and their iron-blocking properties.
  • kasey35126
    kasey35126 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I should try green tea but the last time I tried it I wasn't a fan bc that is one problem I have I love to eat! Lol and definitely get snack hungry while I'm cooking supper
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 cups of plain old green tea every day--hot in the winter and cold in the summer. Rather than drink diet pop, this is my new beverage of choice during the day. I'm a total convert :)