Not counting vegetables

Options
Anyone not count the non starchy veggies in their calories? I was thinking of doing this like WW where you don't need to track veggies.

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nope, because all my friends who did that on WW gained weight. All calories count.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly capable of eating several hundred calories worth of brussels sprouts - I count everything that has calories. What's the point otherwise?????
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not strict on vegetables in small quantities because they're often such a low calorie item. But I do count them if I eat a lot and I definitely count any toppings (olive oil, butter, cheese, etc.)
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Calories count calories....period. They don't just disappear because they're counted.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i don't count my veggies...
    however I'm specific about the ones i don't count, its probably easier to say the ones i do count which are the starchy ones like corn and potatoes.
    veggies like greens, i don't count.

it hasn't affected my weightloss efforts.

yes vegetables have calories but they are negligible for me.
    if/when i reach a plateau or the like these kind of things i will look at.

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I count. It adds up. 100 extra calories of carrots a day can be nearly a pound in a month.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    On WW they have allowed for the 'free' veggies within the points (though it seems totally screwed up when they added 'free' fruit, because most people it seems are greedy idiots). So if you're going to not count your veggies you need to have some buffer room for that in your deficit.

Is it just that you can't be bothered weighing them? I often don't, but I have a damn good eye for portion sizes, and do occasional checks to ensure I'm in the ballpark, and I still log the calories based on my weight estimate.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    ktrader wrote: »
    Anyone not count the non starchy veggies in their calories? I was thinking of doing this like WW where you don't need to track veggies.

Weight Watchers DOES require tracking "starchy vegetables." And Phrick if you can eat several hundred calories worth of brussel sprouts (43 cals per 100 grams) more power to ya!

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to approximate here, now that I'm in maintenance. Does not qualify as 'not counting' but for anything that is low in calorie total, I figure my error will be insignificant.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

With all due respect, if you want to do it like WW, maybe you should follow their program and not do MFP. Mixing several program approaches because of feeling lazy towards logging almost never works.
    Even non-starchy vegetables have calories and if you eat the recommended amount each day, you might cheat yourself by not accounting for a couple of hundred calories each day....and that adds up during a month or more.

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I count everything but pickles. They are my secret, unlogged piggy food. However, since they are very low calorie (and I don't watch sodium too closely) and very strongly flavored, I can't eat enough to count. Now, like one other poster said, I can eat several hundred calories of other veggies with no problem! I'm sure it wouldn't make a huge difference since I don't eat tons in a day but what about the oils you prepare them in and seasonings and sauces? They count. Plus, if you're calorie counting, watch things besides calories, too. Veggies have all sorts of other benefits, vitamins, fiber, etc. Fiber is often overlooked but it can make huge changes in your life in the short and long term. One great source is vegetables! :smile:
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

maxit wrote: »

Weight Watchers DOES require tracking "starchy vegetables." And Phrick if you can eat several hundred calories worth of brussel sprouts (43 cals per 100 grams) more power to ya!

Right thats why I asked if any counted NON starchy vegetables.....
  • kimberlynicole79
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I'm perfectly capable of eating several hundred calories worth of brussels sprouts - I count everything that has calories. What's the point otherwise?????
    You must be super gassy lol
  • Ang108
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    i don't count my veggies...
    however I'm specific about the ones i don't count, its probably easier to say the ones i do count which are the starchy ones like corn and potatoes.
    veggies like greens, i don't count.

it hasn't affected my weightloss efforts.

yes vegetables have calories but they are negligible for me.
    if/when i reach a plateau or the like these kind of things i will look at.

If vegetables are negligable for you you might not eat the recommended amount which could interfere with good nutrition and health.
    I eat the recommended 7-11 portions of vegetables five days a week ( the other two days I do 5:2) and for me it would make a difference of 350 calories minimally a day....something I cannot afford not to log

• kimberlynicole79
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    On WW they have allowed for the 'free' veggies within the points (though it seems totally screwed up when they added 'free' fruit, because most people it seems are greedy idiots). So if you're going to not count your veggies you need to have some buffer room for that in your deficit.

Is it just that you can't be bothered weighing them? I often don't, but I have a damn good eye for portion sizes, and do occasional checks to ensure I'm in the ballpark, and I still log the calories based on my weight estimate.

Yea I guess I just wondered if it really mattered. I just ate a plate full of green peppers,tomatoes, and some pickles I figure its like 100 calories if that . Im just starting so Im not exactly sure on where my calories need to be for loss and just focusing on eating that instead of something unhealthy is my main goal.

• Ang108
    Options

I could also with Brussels sprouts being my favorite vegetable right before cauliflower.....:o).

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you want accuracy then count em. If you know you have a lot of buffers in your net calories (like not eating back regular exercise calorie burn) then some extra veggies aren't going to make a big difference.

I personally count almost everything, but if I eat a few baby carrots or cucumber slices here and there and forget to log it, it isn't going to throw my plan out of the window.

Bottom line is...are you losing weight? If not, get more strict and get that accuracy down so you can use MFP effectively.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

I take a lot of bean-o on brussels sprouts days LOL
  • lniblack812
    lniblack812 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh out my non-starchy veggies any more - I've gotten a pretty good eye for my serving sizes. BUT, I do log them.. so while I might be off a few grams here & there since I'm not weighing, I do still account for them.
  • kimberlynicole79
    Options

I take a lot of bean-o on brussels sprouts days LOL

hahaha I bet