Starting Strength and adding weight...

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm 2 weeks into SS and my squat and deadlift are progressing nicely...but certain lifts like the bench/OHP I don't think I will be realistically be able to keep adding 5lbs. to every workout (eating at a deficit, about 2000 calories. 5'8" 200lb and a woman, if that matters).

My question is, would it be worth it to buy some small ankle weight type things to add to the bar so I can keep progressing, even if only by a pound or 2, or would that just be a waste of time?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    The product you are looking for is called 'fractional weights'. You can also mock up something similar, just be really careful that whatever it is isn't going to drop off or slide along the bar.

But yes, you've got the right idea. Eventually, you won't be able to progress even with fractional weights. Then you move to another program with slower progression.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I get it, thank you. :)
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    You can always try to up your reps, ex workout 1 bench 100 x 6 reps, next week try for 8, then 10, 12 then try to up the weight by 5lbs and start the rep cycle all over again. Just an idea.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The fractional plates are a good idea. For me, bench press is the first thing to stall when I am eating at a deficit. And, in general, OHP tends to be a lift that gets more difficult or stalls sooner rather than later for most people. Fractional plates are really helpful.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    As other have said, something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympic-Fractional-Weight-Lifting-Plates-2-1-4lb-1-2lb-3-4lb-1lb-Pair-5lb-Set-/290912923284 or, more simply, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-1-25-lb-57-kg-Olympic-Plates-1-25lb-/230585940104 . I have the second set -- I've been lifting about 5 months, and so far I've been OK with bumping at 2.5 lb jumps on the OHP (my weakest lift). Occasional fails, but not too awfully often. Although I could see how the additional flexibility of the smaller plates could be useful (and they're prettier, too :smile: ).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It seems so crazy that they charge so much for those plates. I haven't looked for any at a resale place but it might be worth trying one, just to see if they are cheaper.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It seems so crazy that they charge so much for those plates. I haven't looked for any at a resale place but it might be worth trying one, just to see if they are cheaper.

Yeah, the usual "dollar per pound" thing really goes out the window once you're below 2.5lb plates.

Also, not sure what the accuracy is on the regular plates. At some point, the variance on the big plates is going to be larger than the weight of the smaller fractionals. It's not like the big stuff is particularly calibrated.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can also have someone spot you to assist a pound or two until you can lift that weight without assistance. i wouldn't waste my time with anything smaller than a 5 lb plate , its safer to bench with a spotter anyways.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    2.5 lb weights are great for ohp. Just keep pushing until you flat stall out and don't psyche yourself out. Try again the next week as well then maybe think about dialing back and pushing through again.