Headed to Australia; need motivation

ditch_doctor8503
ditch_doctor8503 Posts: 17
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi there MFP community! My hubby and I are headed to a trip of a life time By the end of this year and I want to be in tip top shape! Two things: I'm looking for other females to exchange motivation and nutrition tips with and if you've been to Australia I would like to hear your experience! Please feel free to add me!

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Not only have one been to Australia, but i live here too!!!!
    Australia is awesome!
  • Well that is even better! Thanks for the reply!!
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Add me if you like
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    I live in Australia!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    find me an Aussie woman that likes Americans! :)
  • ditch_doctor8503
    ditch_doctor8503 Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the reply@ Helen
    @Twinkie I'll see what I can do... But don't hold your breath B)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    I live here too. I'm an expat from the MI and DC area.
    You may add me too if you'd like
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 186 Member
    I'm doing the same thing as you but in reverse -currently in NZ and heading to the States at the end of the year
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Motivation is internal. You can be encouraged, inspired, etc., but ultimately you either WANT to do it or not. If you don't, none of the above would matter.
    Make a specific plan, put it into action and be COMMITTED to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    I'm a Canadian who moved to Australia in 2009, after visiting the place a couple times and loving it.

One way to see and enjoy Australia is to go on hikes and walks and bicycle rides ... so my encouragement to you would be to start doing that now. If you aren't doing those things already, start slow and gradually build up. Note that although Australia may be the flattest continent ... in the areas where the bulk of the population live, it can be quite hilly ... really, really hilly in places. So include hills in your training.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Aussie here

The good news is that Australia is generally a great place to be active. Lots of options for activity and you can combine these with sightseeing (bushwalking, cycling, swimming, snorkelling etc.).

We also have a good range of healthy foods available and portion sizes are generally much smaller than the US. I should warn you in advance that food is a lot more expensive here in Australia than the US so be prepared for that. On the plus side - our wages are quite good compared to the US and hospitality staff are paid quite well so you don't need to tip. You can leave a small amount if the service is extra good but it is in no way required to or considered rude if you don't
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Australia is fantastic! I went a few years ago and would LOVE to go back.

I'm headed to Vienna this summer and just bought a new (slightly too small) maxi dress that I am using as visual motivation. I see it everyday and think about how great its going to be to wear in in Austria.

For Australia, I'd probably use a cute little summer dress as motivation. Maybe one dress size smaller than what you are now?
  • kuranda10
    If you are going to be here at the end of the year, keep in mind that that is the HOTTEST time in Australia.

Depending on where you are from in the states, it can be quite a shock.

This past winter Sydney saw temps in the 40 Cs. That is 104 F. Add in the humidity ... If you plan on going for hikes in those temps and you aren't use to it, I would start working out with that in mind.
  • Thank you all for the very informative replies. @kuranda10‌ I'm looking at the winter(August) So hopefully the heat won't come too strong @gmallan‌ yes the price is the biggest set back but I'm looking into renting a vacation home so I can cook most meals. I heard that was a bit cheaper. Thoughts? @ KiwiAlexp what part are you heading to? Hopefully the south so it isn't quite sooo cold
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Yep that'll cut down the price a lot. How long are you here for and where are you headed? The temperature in August will vary a lot depending on where you are going
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm an Australian who has lived in the USA. The exchange rate is certainly in your favour at the moment!

In August, the further south you go the colder it is - remember were on the bottom end, so north is closer to the equator and tropics! The weather is VERY dependant on where you go. Up north winter means you might need a sweater, down south it means you might need thermals and a boat. Though the weather is so changable lately, you never really know what you're going to get.

Prices can be a shock, and I think you're on the right track finding a place where you can cook some of your own meals!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,449 Member
    edited March 2015
    Thank you all for the very informative replies. @kuranda10‌ I'm looking at the winter(August) So hopefully the heat won't come too strong @gmallan‌ yes the price is the biggest set back but I'm looking into renting a vacation home so I can cook most meals. I heard that was a bit cheaper. Thoughts? @ KiwiAlexp what part are you heading to? Hopefully the south so it isn't quite sooo cold

Generally, what part of Australia are you thinking of going to?

If you go somewhere up north you'll have warmer temps. But if you go somewhere south you'll have cooler temps.

I have lived in Victoria and Tasmania (both south) and I can tell you that winters here are much like those in the Pacific Northwest USA ... lower mainland BC Canada. Wet, chilly, and sometimes snowy.

August is often a great skiing month in Victoria.

• KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 186 Member
    Thank you all for the very informative replies. @kuranda10‌ I'm looking at the winter(August) So hopefully the heat won't come too strong @gmallan‌ yes the price is the biggest set back but I'm looking into renting a vacation home so I can cook most meals. I heard that was a bit cheaper. Thoughts? @ KiwiAlexp what part are you heading to? Hopefully the south so it isn't quite sooo cold

I'll be going to San Fransisco, New York and finishing in Hawaii for my Birthday in October - so hopefully not too cold

• kuranda10
    @ditch_doctor8503‌ , where are you from in the states? That is going to make a HUGE difference in how you percieve "cold" and "hot"
    I've been here five years and have worn a jacket ONCE. But I'm up North. I have friends in Sydney that are from MN, and they laugh at the thought of people needing to wear thermals here.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    I live in Australia, definitely come, you will love it :) My best advice is, don't panic if you think people are insulting you. We have a sense of humour that is off-putting to non Australians sometimes. So, if someone pats you on the shoulder and says, 'ow's it garn, dickhead??' with a smile, it means they like you. :p So, if you think someone is being rude or shocking, just check their face, you'll quickly work out if they're just having a lend of you.