Ladies and lifting weights while losing weight

Options
124»

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree lift heavy weights. For starters, you will not bulk like a man. It just won't happen! However, when you lose a significant amount of weight (more that 20 lbs) it seems that you need to add definition to your muscles so that you look good naked. I know from past experiences that only reducing my weight with dieting alone left me looking soft and flabby and I don't recommend it. Don't fear gaining muscle as it can add good shape.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    I am just about to start the beginning of week 7 of stronglifts 5x5. It's a great program! Be careful not to focus on the scale to much at the beginning. For the first month my scale did not budge at all but my body measurements were going down nicely and my clothes were fitting more loosely :smile:

Definitely. And that water weight! I'm only on week 2, I seem to be up 4-5lbs the day after lifting days, I imagine due to muscle repair or such? It's gone the day after.

So yeah, that might happen. Don't freak out.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    kandeye wrote: »
    I am just about to start the beginning of week 7 of stronglifts 5x5. It's a great program! Be careful not to focus on the scale to much at the beginning. For the first month my scale did not budge at all but my body measurements were going down nicely and my clothes were fitting more loosely :smile:

Definitely. And that water weight! I'm only on week 2, I seem to be up 4-5lbs the day after lifting days, I imagine due to muscle repair or such?

Word. I gained like 8 pounds and it sticks around for about 6 weeks. It's from extra water and glycogen retention to repair your muscles. You'll get a "whoosh" soon
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks I joined the group. I lift 40 pounds today, was hard I need to get use to it

Here a photo of me when I lost a ton of weight went from 155-112 now doing it all over again

Thinking of buying some heavy weights one set for at home

02fuhpe5hwxu.jpg
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thinking of buying some heavy weights one set for at home

I highly recommend PowerBlocks. The set I have goes from 5-50 pounds and is expandable to 90, and then to 160 pounds. :) They're pricey as an initial investment, but less expensive in the long run than if you were to buy the equivalent individual dumbbells (not to mention major space savings!) :)