Breakfast Cereal

Options
I usually dive for Branflakes as I enjoy the taste and find them filling. I also have a bowel of bran flakes as a snack, but recently I was told this is the worst thing to do and if I wanted a cereal I should go for rice crispies. A cereal which I am wary of as it is rice and doesn't have that same fibre content as bran which I find to be very beneficial.

What would you advise?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Did the person have a reason why?

If you like bran and it fits into your daily calorie intake, and there is no medical reason why you shouldn't eat it, just eat it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why rice crispies? Cold cereal leaves me starving - but the bran flakes are likely a lot more filling than rice crispies.
  • trying_to_burn
    trying_to_burn Posts: 58
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was told that bran is too high in carbohydrates and would inevitably make me fatter

Apparently Rice Crispies have no nutritional value so as a snack will have less of an impact on your waistline in comparison
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I was told that bran is too high in carbohydrates and would inevitably make me fatter

Apparently Rice Crispies have no nutritional value so as a snack will have less of an impact on your waistline in comparison

Oh. Dear. God.

No. Just eat your bran and enjoy :)
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    lol. thank you :)
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Rice crispies are basically nothing but sugar - like maybe the worst cereal ever. Eat your bran and be happy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Why the heck would you want to eat something with no nutritional value? That's not a better option in my world. Eat your bran!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, helps you to feel full, and makes you happy I say go for it! I would end up starving about an hour later, but maybe that is me?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    wvn2y4k6sqnv.png

yew9hqnb0ejv.png

Funniest thing, by weight rice crispies are higher in both calories and carbs :p
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Not sure what choices you have, but my go-to breakfast cereal is Total Whole Grain Flakes by General Mills. It is about 100 calories per 30g serving. It gives me 100% of the US recommended daily allowance of several different vitamins and minerals...

I don't particularly care for the taste by itself, but I crumble it up and use it as topping for my morning yogurt (currently vanilla flavored Greek yogurt.) I don't find cereal with milk very satisfying, but with my yogurt it is VERY filling.

Your friend may mean well, but is uninformed. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Carbs only make you fat if you consume enough of them that you're eating more than you burn. If you enjoy it, continue eating it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat if you're eating an appropriate number of calories. Personally I don't eat cereal because I find the serving size to be so pitiful but if you're weighing it out, logging it, and you're satisfied eating then it go for it.

Word of general advice-- people are going to tell you that you can't lose weight/be healthy eating all kinds of things. For some people who have certain medical conditions, that might be true. But for most people as long as what you're eating leaves you feeling sated and happy, and as long as you're getting a reasonable balance of macros (protein/carbs/fat) and micronutrients, you can eat what you like and be just fine.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You can actually eat a ton of Cheerios for very few calories - I measure them out and then snack on them all morning some days. :) I'm a huge Cheerios fan.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Stick to your bran flakes. They are much healthier. I like Weetabix with hot milk and honey myself. Also Oats are good. I also like Maple and Pecan crunch but it is a bit on the high calorie side so I tend to use it as a topping on yoghurt or mixed with a lower calorie cereal. If you are inside your calorie allowance it is all good really.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol and why did they say that? I like fiber one. Plain bran cereal.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Eat the bran, ditch the rice krispies, at least the bran will keep you full and regular. The rice cereal is pretty much air. ps I like shredded wheat with bran and Kashi go lean original, fiber one original, shreddies.
  • amylopezmarie913
    amylopezmarie913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Quaker Oats Squares. 6 grams protein. Add skim milk and you've got 10 grams protein! Makes a great snack eaten dry too.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to the Fiber One cocolate cereal....they're high in fiber and it's 80 cals per serving (30 grams). They fill me up and i like the taste...
  • cwhomewood
    cwhomewood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I normally eat Fruit & Fibre for breakfast with 1% fat milk, do find I get hungry about an hour and half later though, didn't realise that was a bi-product of having cereal for breakfast. Was bought up having cereal so am used to it, and like the taste. Fruit & Fibre sounds like a healthyish option (also like Frosties, and chocolaty cereals), at minimum it shoudl be giving me 1 of my 5 a day (alas filling up my dried fruit quota). I also generally chop a banana up on top, as am trying to make each meal = 2 of my 5 a day.

Have been told that cereals aren't that healthy (was wondering whether it might be healthier or not buying bran flakes and then adding dried fruit myself to the mix, Tesco did cereal toppers for a while which were really good for this, but alas seem to have been discontinued). Now under the qualm whether I should stick with my 1% fat milk or go back to whole as am hearing different advice from different nutritionists.