My weight loss/fitness journey thus far! PICS!

Options
jblackjr
jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
Ok, so to get started my name is Jimmy. I'm currently 29 years old, married, have one child (3 year old daughter) and two boxers (2.5 and 1 year old). I use to be overweight. I was never considered obese but I was starting to have complications with my health, mainly high blood pressure. I'm sure this stemmed from weight gain + unemployed + newly married. Getting married and losing your job one month later can't be healthy for anyone. My blood pressure was usually in the 140s-150s / 100s which is high and my doctor told me that if something wasn't done I would be classified has having hypertension, something I didn't want to be labeled. For the first year of marriage I was unemployed, very depressed and ate whatever, whenever.

Once I finally found a job and really got to looking at myself I realized that my wife and I both had put on some weight. This was from the above mentioned as well as the fact that we decided to get pregnant while I was unemployed with the idea that surely I would have a job within 9 months... took me a little bit longer. Once Ella Kate got here I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with myself and realized I didn't want to be the overweight, out-of-shape parent that idley sat by and watched there kids from the sideline. I wanted to be the in shape Dad that got out there and kept up with his kids and never missed a beat. I wanted to be the Husband that keeps his body healthy and in shape for his wife. I didn't want to be labeled as fat and lazy. So I decided to do something about it.

My wife and I started off with fad diets, trying this and that and through all that I lost about 20lbs, gained about 10 back and hung out there for a bit. We had tried running in the past and attempted the C25K but we just couldn't seem to stick with it. Months went by and our weight really wasn't moving one way or the other. Once we bought our new house I told my wife I wanted to run and I wanted to stick with it. So we did, we started all over in May of last year and I'm proud to say that I have been running ever since and have a love/hate relationship with it. More love than hate, but I really have my days :)

When my daughter was born I was knocking on the door of 250lbs!
8722432709_4315660d39.jpg

Once we finished our C25K we decided to run our first race. It was a small little 5K race right down the road from where we live. Weight was somewhere around 225-230
8962033126_47d62b8531.jpg

Our next race I had lost down to about 220lbs
8962031818_d0725f4594.jpg

Here I am weighing in at somewhere arould 210lbs!
8961722750_70c698fc91.jpg

The last picture I have is me at 198lbs
8960524427_8f01116c34.jpg

My current weight as I write this is 194lbs and the plans are to lose about 14 more lbs.

My wife who is in several of those pictures is also on a weightloss journey and so far she has lost around 35-40lbs and her goal is to lose about 70 more. I would love for her to get on here and post but she just don't get into this whole forum thing like I do :)

Edit : Also for anyone interested, my wife and I are not the only ones that run. We have since drug our best friends into it as well :) So we decided to start a blog and since we are all pretty big nerds we named it accordingly.

http://therunningnerds.blogspot.com

Feel free to check us out maybe you will read something there that will inspire you to give it a try.

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Amazing results!! great job well done!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    did you strictly run, or did you do any kind of weights or gym workouts?
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    You look great! Keep it up. Btw, I loved your story :)
  • jblackjr
    Options
    Just up until recently all I did was run. I now do body weight workouts and made me a suspension trainer much like what you would get from TRX. I have a boflex at my house which I keep telling myself to start using again but haven't got around to it yet :)
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Did you start changing your diet and eating clean or healthier as well as running?
  • jblackjr
    Options
    We started eating a lot healthier. We try to eat as clean as possible but sometimes that is hard to do and keep a social life with your friends, but for the most part I eat as healthy as possible and I try and do my best at counting my caloric intake and being as accurate as possible. My two biggest weaknesses are Sweet tea and a good beer.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I do agree that i think those are peoples biggest struggles!! :P lol. How long did it take you to achieve these results?
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    great job and what a change in your appearance and health. Keep up the great work
  • jblackjr
    Options
    Marcillene - Probably a lot longer than it should had, but again as long as I was seeing the scale drop I really didn't try and force the weight off you know? But really we didn't start "trying" until we started running which was May 2012, so its been a year since we started and we had a really really bad holiday eating forenza last year. I would say 95% of the people on both sides of our family are overweight to obese so the amount of food and type of food that we had in that 3 month period really did a number on us, I think I gained about 10-15lbs during that 3 month period...
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Marcillene - Probably a lot longer than it should had, but again as long as I was seeing the scale drop I really didn't try and force the weight off you know? But really we didn't start "trying" until we started running which was May 2012, so its been a year since we started and we had a really really bad holiday eating forenza last year. I would say 95% of the people on both sides of our family are overweight to obese so the amount of food and type of food that we had in that 3 month period really did a number on us, I think I gained about 10-15lbs during that 3 month period...

Oh definitally! well i actually have seen that people that have taken a longer period of time to drop amounts of weight, their bodies adjust better to 'droppy or looser' skin than those that drop it quickly. and i think it tends to make it more of a lifestyle change instead of a dieting era in life.

Great job.. and im sure it will help your maintaining time in life easier if you use a longer period of time to achieve your results! but even in 1 year thats an amazing result you have!
  • jblackjr
    Options
    Yea I have always heard losing weight slowly helps you keep it off better and so far that has held true.
  • vanessamcinnis
    vanessamcinnis Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! Be proud!
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Great progress! You look great! Glad you and your wife get to do this together!
  • meggyshae
    meggyshae Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You look great!!! Awesome job!!!
  • jblackjr
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • kjaybee
    kjaybee Posts: 1
    Options
    Great story with good results. This is a great encouragement for others who have recently started C25K.

I'm in week2 myself. I got enough motivation to finish C25k.

How did you get your wife to join c25k?
    I am having a tough time trying to get my wife to get healthy and loose some weight.

-K
  • jblackjr
    Options
    I really didn't have to do anything. I told her I wanted us to start running and since she was wanting to lose weight anyways she just said OK. So far it's really worked out for us.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wonderful story and fantastic progress!! That's a lot of hard work and dedication. Way to go! You and your wife look like such nice people.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A really truly inspiring story. I was very moved by it. More importantly you have realised the dangers that lay ahead for you in being overweight and taking back control of your life in what you eat effects not only you but your family as well. Your family has a great dad

My wife often tells me of people breaking down in her clinic when she tells them of the complications of their current diabetes (amputations) or high blood pressure complications etc.

Hope you dont mind but I am going to print off your story and show it to her (my wife) to show that people all over the world are changing their lifestyle for themselves and ther loved ones for the better as I know she gets down having to currently prescribe meds for what is sometimes a lifestyle issue.
  • jblackjr
    Options
    I am sure that is very difficult for your wife seeing people come in with all those health problems. My BP has came way down since I have lost weight. Typically its in the 120s/70s range now. I think for the most part diet/exersice can fix most health problems that arise. I know it won't solve everything as some things I think are just hereditary and your going to have issues regardless what you do, but even then I think you can at least control the severity of it.
    A really truly inspiring story. I was very moved by it. More importantly you have realised the dangers that lay ahead for you in being overweight and taking back control of your life in what you eat effects not only you but your family as well. Your family has a great dad

My wife often tells me of people breaking down in her clinic when she tells them of the complications of their current diabetes (amputations) or high blood pressure complications etc.

Hope you dont mind but I am going to print off your story and show it to her (my wife) to show that people all over the world are changing their lifestyle for themselves and ther loved ones for the better as I know she gets down having to currently prescribe meds for what is sometimes a lifestyle issue.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!