Which protein powder do you use?

Options
daisyverma
daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
Which protein powder do you use? Plant based or Whey or other?

I currently do hemp protein powder as its plant based and I find it easy to digest. Been wanting to try Vega or Sun Warrior but have heard mixed reviews about them.

There is also new Quest protein powder however I have read it is priced too high for the quantity.

I normally add protein powder to a almond milk blended with various fruits,yogurt, nuts/seeds etc...

I want to alternate between plant based and whey protein powder so I am not drinking the same thing all the time

Suggestions, tips, advice etc all welcome!!

Thanks!

Replies

• ernurse167
    ernurse167 Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition. 24Gm per serving. I have tried the strawberry and double rich chocolate so far, and both taste great. They are whey based for quick after workout protein and micronized so they mix super easy in a mixing bottle with no chunks.
  • briana_knowles
    briana_knowles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Syntha6. Great meal replacement
  • KenHOG
    KenHOG Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm, today I just picked up the birthday cake flavor...not bad lol
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey too. I have them in Double Chocolate and Vanilla. 24g protein in a 120-calorie full scoop.

And it looks something like this...

0302703d_informacion-nutricional-gold-standard-100-whey.jpeg

More protein powder options for anyone can be found here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10100235/which-protien-powder-for-women#latest
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard and also Pro7ein (which is a Nutrishop brand) because I like the combo of fast and slow digest protein...which there are many out there that have a blend and aren't just straight whey.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Naturade Vegan Smart Vanilla when I'm buying, Vega when someone else is!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Vega one
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard whey. extreme milk chocolate
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    General protein boost is USN Whey Protein Premium (double servings), and post workout is USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic. However I'm considering ditching the MFA, and making up my own PWO of Whey+carbs.
  • abbycassidy1
    Options
    At what point in one's journey of weight loss, exercise (lifestyle) would you recommend a person start to use protein powder in shakes? Also, vitamins, what are good, decent priced (not a millionare) ??? thank you :)
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    At what point in one's journey of weight loss, exercise (lifestyle) would you recommend a person start to use protein powder in shakes? Also, vitamins, what are good, decent priced (not a millionare) ??? thank you :)
    Anytime is a good time to supplement with protein shakes.

• rez2012
    rez2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    daisyverma wrote: »

I currently do hemp protein powder as its plant based and I find it easy to digest. Been wanting to try Vega or Sun Warrior but have heard mixed reviews about them.

There is also new Quest protein powder however I have read it is priced too high for the quantity.

I normally add protein powder to a almond milk blended with various fruits,yogurt, nuts/seeds etc...

I want to alternate between plant based and whey protein powder so I am not drinking the same thing all the time

Thanks!

I take Sun Warrior-Warrior Blend chocolate flavor. I don't get fancy with my shakes I just mix it with water. The taste is pretty good with just water, but it does taste a little gritty. I'm sure when you get fancy with it adding some type of milk, fruit, or yogurt it will taste phenomenal and cancel out the grittiness. It's a great protein and I feel great from it. I do wish it had more protein per scoop though (17g) but I just double or triple it.
  • daisyverma
    Options
    KenHOG wrote: »
    MusclePharm, today I just picked up the birthday cake flavor...not bad lol

Costco (Canada) has it for 56.99 - 2.27 kg (5 lb.) - is that a decent price considering I live in Canada, and thus usually pay more by default

• daisyverma
    Options
    rez2012 wrote: »
    daisyverma wrote: »

Thanks!

I take Sun Warrior-Warrior Blend chocolate flavor. I don't get fancy with my shakes I just mix it with water. The taste is pretty good with just water, but it does taste a little gritty. I'm sure when you get fancy with it adding some type of milk, fruit, or yogurt it will taste phenomenal and cancel out the grittiness. It's a great protein and I feel great from it. I do wish it had more protein per scoop though (17g) but I just double or triple it.

I am going to get one of those single packs and see how it tastes.

There were some concerns about lead(?) with this product, but I think its sorted out?

• daisyverma
    Options
    votkuhr wrote: »
    I use Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey too. I have them in Double Chocolate and Vanilla. 24g protein in a 120-calorie full scoop.

And it looks something like this...

0302703d_informacion-nutricional-gold-standard-100-whey.jpeg

More protein powder options for anyone can be found here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10100235/which-protien-powder-for-women#latest

I have read about this one online, and its gotten good feedback online

Due to health reasons, I have to stay away from any soy based protein powders. I see that it does have soy lecithin...is that a significant amount? or is the protein strictly whey based in this powder?

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

Ideally, women need .5 - 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. So for a 140 lb woman that is 70 grams of protein for someone who is just trying to lose weight and 140 grams for someone who is moderately active. If it's a little of both, shoot for somewhere in the middle, say 130 grams. If you feel that there is no way that you can hit that 130-140 gram mark daily from taking in only food sources, then whey protein can get you to your goal. For anyone just starting out, I recommend Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey. Whey is a fast digesting protein and a lot of people use it for post workout to speed up protein synthesis which helps start your muscle recovery.

Protein sources such as fish, chicken, beef, pork and turkey consist of slower digesting proteins. These are best taken in when there is going to be an extended amount of time between meals.

This was great information. Thank you!

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I use Natural Force Organic Whey Protein - OMG it tastes great, and it's ALL NATURAL. I talk to the owner over email - he's awesome. Very transparent company. I just started using it.

The industry is loaded with junk - and I was digesting it. This stuff is all natural - and these guys are passionate about their product.

http://www.mynaturalforce.com/products/organic-whey-protein

It's pricey but well worth it.

If you can't do that, I suggest Legion Supplements - no sucralose - they use very good sweeteners including stevia (NO SUCRALOSE etc).

https://legionsupplements.com/products/supplements/whey/

I will flip flop on both so I can dollar cost average the Natural Force product for now.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    trader joe's chocolate whey protein. it mixes well in milk and oatmeal. I'm toying with the idea of making dessert-cakes with it. protein packed cupcakes for post-run noms.

"tibby! tibby! you just ran five miles nonstop! what are you going to do next?"
    "I'm gonna eat this cupcake." nom nom nom nom. :p