Easter

Options
allaboutthefood
allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
I am hoping someone can help. I bake custom cakes for a living, but they are very high in fat and sugar, We are having my husbands family over and with the way I am watching what I eat, plus their food restrictions which are gluten free and type one diabetes and obesity (I hope I spelled that right) I am having a hard time finding meal and desert options that everyone will enjoy for ages between 72yrs and 3yrs. We don't have a lot of money, so these meals need to be affordable. Thank you for any suggestions.

Replies

• daphodili
    daphodili Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would consider maybe making some Lasagna Rolls. Look on-line for a recipe you are interested in. You can fill them with so many different combinations. They are healthy & tasty. Of course you would need to use gluten free pasta for those that are restricted, but it's simple. If that doesn't sound appealing maybe Zucchini Lasagna or Zucchini Parmesan.
    As for desserts maybe make two different ones that don't cost too much, if you think the kids won't like a 'healthier' dessert. Look for some clean eating dessert recipes that might appeal to the kids and your guests. Clean eating desserts are still really tasty, they just cut out a lot of unhealthy fats & such.
    Hope that helps!
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Try a fresh fruit trifle for dessert. Go easy on the gluten free cake, and fill it up with peaches and strawberries and pineapple (or whatever the family's favorites are). You could use cool whip instead of whipped cream, or whip unsweetened coconut milk. My friend's kid has celiac, and he scarfed down the gluten free trifle I made him for Christmas. His little brother did, too, and the grown ups enjoyed my rum-added trifle.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Our typical Easter dinner is baked ham, a green vegetable medley and potato salad.
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/green-vegetable-medley.html

Easter+Dinner+Plate.JPG

I recently made chocolate dipped oranges from bittersweet chocolate, a little coconut oil and halo oranges. They were delicious. Sister did the same thing with white chocolate. Everyone enjoyed it. Also nice with strawberries.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    A taco bar is good. Use ground turkey. Lettuce tomato corn black beans salsa jalapeño ff cheese tostidos tortilla. Let everyone mAke a taco or a taco salad.
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    How about rice krispy treat eggs? They could even help you make and decorate them.
  • threeks3
    threeks3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage rolls with ground turkey and salad. Angel food cake is healthier than cake.
  • leroberts6
    leroberts6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Angel food cake and strawberries is always yummy! Fresh fruit, served separately or as a fruit salad is light and good for all. Kids can have ice cream in waffles bowls. My hubby is diabetic and loves apple or mixed berry crisp made with sugar substitute.
  • CristyPooh
    Options
    Look up Skinny Taste on Facebook or online. They have great, simple, healthy and affordable recipes. Some can be made ahead so you don't have to slave in kitchen all day.