Eating back exercised calories VS not: Which worked for you?

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    The link is too complicated for a beginner.

Looks for the 'simple' steps that this poster has laid out for us to follow...
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    MFP has me on 1500, and I often use exercise to get me under that. Same ends, different approach but it works for me to eat the calories back otherwise I would be like the proverbial bear with a sore head!
  • Smithkulaga
    Smithkulaga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on an amazing achievement! I'm just starting out (have a total of 140 to loose; down 29.4 after 5 weeks).

One question: when you started out, how many calories per workout were you burning (if you remember)? Right now I'm only burning between 300-500/workout. I'm working out (or getting some type of exercise) 6 days a week.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP the way it is set up, then yes, you should eat back your exercise calories.
    If you have custom settings and have done your own calculations on certain things...then it depends on that.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Fire the trainer and eat your calories.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    So I'm getting conflicting advice. MFP wants me to eat back my calories I burn from exercise, but my personal trainer is telling me to stick to 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise. He said if I'm hungry after a workout, the only thing extra I should eat is a protein bar.

I've been seeing my trainer for a year and I've been following this for the most part. In a year, I've lost 20 pounds (170-150) but I constantly see people who have been following MFP for the same amount of time as me and have lost SO MUCH MORE. I can't help but wonder, has my weight loss been slow because I've been sticking to 1200?

At the same time, I have read that some people have claimed not eating back their workout calories, like I've been doing, has worked well for them.

So everyone! What has worked best for you? To eat, or not to eat?

My 2 cents..... Eat back ~75% of them. I look at it this way, you exercise burn is an estimate. Most likely you over report what you burn. So I don't eat back 100%. I calculate the burn based on HR and cross ref with the machine, if I was using one. I've lost 46lbs in 5 months. I'm 25 lbs from a very lean goal weight. I exercise at least 12 hrs a week, cardio and weights. When I started I was on 1200cal and ate back only 1/2. It worked at first then my metabolism slowed, I lost muscle, and I plateaued. I increased my calories and ate back more. After 10 days I was losing again. Up your calories by 200 and eat back at least 50%. I'm at 1850cal, 6' 1" slim build, goal weight is 190. Good luck
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Why are you listening to a fitness trainer for nutritional advice?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Edit: Since it's been made quite apparent that people can't be bothered to actually go to a link that is posted I'll give a simple answer here.

MFP assumes you're not going to do any exercise so it gives you a calorie goal with a deficit already built in. So you'll lose weight even without exercise. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit to a possibly unhealthy level. Fuel your body.

OP: There are 2 methods.

1.You eat back your calories(MFP)
    2. You don't eat them back(you calculated your own TDEE and deficit)

More than likely you didn't do step 2, so stick to step 1 (eat back your calories).

The link is too complicated for a beginner or for you...? :huh:

Basic reading comprehension is all that is required to understand that link.

For a beginner, I have been doing this for a long time, that's newbie stuff to me... Below in bold are excerpts from the link... below that is possible questions that... a beginner might have.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.

Whats the difference from calorie requirement of training, or training expenditure? What training expenditure, is this calories burned or exercises performed? What is being expended?

"If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake"

Wait, what is EAT again???

Why would some ask what EAT is again when they can refer back up to the top of the post where the (oh hai) list of definitions is? Also, you took sentences from a paragraph. Context. Matters.

Your blatant problem with any links other than yours (namely anything that comes from the Eat, Train, Progess group) is really appalling and quite sad.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    For a beginner, I have been doing this for a long time, that's newbie stuff to me... Below in bold are excerpts from the link... below that is possible questions that... a beginner might have.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.

]Whats the difference from calorie requirement of training, or training expenditure? What training expenditure, is this calories burned or exercises performed? What is being expended?

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and both work.

The approaches are different, but the ultimate goal should be the same - a healthy, sustainable calorie and macro intake.

This. I've done both also, and have lost weight with both.

But the problem with not eating your exercise calories back is that most people who do that, based on MFP recommendations, are not eating at TDEE minus a reasonable deficit. They're eating at BMR minus whatever deficit MFP calculated, and that's not good.

I am currently eating TDEE - 15%, and I'm losing, on average, half a pound per week, which is perfect for me because I'm pretty close to goal. I like this method because I don't have to try to hit a different calorie total each day, depending on my workouts. I just try to hit the same baseline every day. But some people are more motivated to exercise when they know they're going to get to eat those calories back, and that's cool, too. But I agree that sustainability is key. Don't even bother with a "diet" that you can't keep doing forever. And when I say "can't," I mean "won't."
  • ponyskates
    ponyskates Posts: 37
    Options
    Congratulations on an amazing achievement! I'm just starting out (have a total of 140 to loose; down 29.4 after 5 weeks).

One question: when you started out, how many calories per workout were you burning (if you remember)? Right now I'm only burning between 300-500/workout. I'm working out (or getting some type of exercise) 6 days a week.

When I started out, I was burning 400-600 calories per workout. My workouts always vary, as I'm basically only exercising with my trainer. Good luck! Sounds like it's working for you if you've already lost thirty pounds!
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    My 2 cents..... Eat back ~75% of them. I look at it this way, you exercise burn is an estimate. Most likely you over report what you burn. So I don't eat back 100%. I calculate the burn based on HR and cross ref with the machine, if I was using one. I've lost 46lbs in 5 months. I'm 25 lbs from a very lean goal weight. I exercise at least 12 hrs a week, cardio and weights. When I started I was on 1200cal and ate back only 1/2. It worked at first then my metabolism slowed, I lost muscle, and I plateaued. I increased my calories and ate back more. After 10 days I was losing again. Up your calories by 200 and eat back at least 50%. I'm at 1850cal, 6' 1" slim build, goal weight is 190. Good luck

This is a very good (and non-sciency) approach. It might not be exactly 75% for everybody, but that's a number you can tweak to best suit you.
  • ajominy
    ajominy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    @ Smithkulaga - congratulations on your accomplishments so far!!!

When I first started out I was doing aqua aerobics and estimated that I was burning about 300 - 400 calories a class. After several months of aqua aerobics, I was able to do more and started doing 2 classes in a row a few times a week which was aqua aerobics and zumba. I estimated (based on what I found on different websites) that Zumba was burning about 500 - 600 calories. From there I started doing weights and spinning.

A few months ago I purchased a heart rate monitor (at the advice of my trainer and several instructors i know) and discovered that I was overestimating my burned calories with Zumba especially. I really only burn about 350 - 400 calories a class. My heart rate monitor has been the best investment in my weight loss journey. It is like a personal trainer on your wrist. It calculates your calories based on your personal height, weight and heart rate. Now I know when I burn 1000 calories, I really am. I don't work out w/out it.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    So I'm getting conflicting advice. MFP wants me to eat back my calories I burn from exercise, but my personal trainer is telling me to stick to 1200 calories per day regardless of exercise. He said if I'm hungry after a workout, the only thing extra I should eat is a protein bar.

I've been seeing my trainer for a year and I've been following this for the most part. In a year, I've lost 20 pounds (170-150) but I constantly see people who have been following MFP for the same amount of time as me and have lost SO MUCH MORE. I can't help but wonder, has my weight loss been slow because I've been sticking to 1200?

At the same time, I have read that some people have claimed not eating back their workout calories, like I've been doing, has worked well for them.

So everyone! What has worked best for you? To eat, or not to eat?
    My trainer also told me not to eat them back...............until I explained how MFP worked. Then he said, "Oh, I get it....then hell yeah eat them back!" :wink:

I've done both (MFP's way and the TDEE-% way) and I've lost weight both ways. I'm currently back to doing MFP's way, since getting to eat more is a great motivator for me to work out.

If you aren't eating yours back, make sure you understand the difference between MFP's method and the TDEE-% method. You've got some good info here and some good links to read through to understand it better.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When it comes to me...

I knew that the introduction of an additional deficit would create a need for additional fuel, but I chose to take a kind of 'scientist'-like 'approach', initially, out of curiosity, to see what my body would 'dictate', when it came to eating back calories, and specifically, how much it 'wanted', and whether there was a remaining deficit, and if so, how much, and whether any kind of 'pattern' might possibly 'emerge'.

So... I simply 'listened' to my body -- and while I tracked and was aware of how much was being 'eaten back', I was mindful of the fact that I considered it a learning experience, when it came to my body, and couldn't help wondering what my body would seemingly 'deem necessary', so to speak, when it came to this.

What I learned, is that my body seems to 'know' that it needs more fuel, and 'lets me know', accordingly -- and that the most it seems 'comfortable' in 'allowing', when it comes to any net deficit, relative to the exercise calories burned, is no more than a few hundred calories (and even that much was only on days when I'd burned over 2000 calories). On the various days when I burned over 2000 calories, I experienced a new 'issue' -- eating as much fuel as my body let me know it wanted, but not spending forever engaged in the act of eating (what a luxurious problem to suddenly have! lol ;) ) -- and given the constraint of not wanting to take in more than ~600-700 calories at a shot (on such exercise calorie-deficit days (I otherwise don't want to take in more than ~350-450 calories in a 'meal')), I embraced the bang-for-the-buck calorie content and nutrition profile of nut butters, and went for nut butters on whole grain bread, and also discovered guilt-free ingestion of chocolate milk and ice cream... ;)

Bottom line -- I'll give my body 'back' what it deems necessary, in the wake of exercise calorie deficits (and I know that it will want almost all of those calories back (and I understand why that is))... and am especially aware of the higher calorie intake that will be required on days when I burn a previously-atypical-for-me multiple of such a deficit (and am learning to 'prep' for such days, by having things onhand (or otherwise knowing that I'll be able to give myself a 'green light'), when it comes to things I normally would restrict myself to on limited occasions, knowing that on high-calorie deficit days, I can experience an added joy of eating various things for which the otherwise-cause-for-concern calorie content is actually providing a 'benefit', so to speak).
  • ponyskates
    Options

Edit: Since it's been made quite apparent that people can't be bothered to actually go to a link that is posted I'll give a simple answer here.

MFP assumes you're not going to do any exercise so it gives you a calorie goal with a deficit already built in. So you'll lose weight even without exercise. When you exercise, you further increase that deficit to a possibly unhealthy level. Fuel your body.

More than likely you didn't do step 2, so stick to step 1 (eat back your calories).

Whats the difference from calorie requirement of training, or training expenditure? What training expenditure, is this calories burned or exercises performed? What is being expended?

"If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake"

Why would some ask what EAT is again when they can refer back up to the top of the post where the (oh hai) list of definitions is? Also, you took sentences from a paragraph. Context. Matters.

Your blatant problem with any links other than yours (namely anything that comes from the Eat, Train, Progess group) is really appalling and quite sad.

In response to all of this:

I'm taking nutritional advice from my trainer because he's also a nutritionist. He also has had so many clients lose weight successfully so naturally, I want to follow his lead. A few years ago I was following MFP as I should (eating back the cals) but not for long enough to see any major results.

I also don't consider myself a beginner. My question sounds basic because I've been following this plan with my trainer for a year and I lost sight of the common sense of it all. I wanted to see if there was any merit to his plan, or if from this point I should start ignoring his advice and eating back those lost cals.

Guys, don't argue. Different methods clearly work for different people. I appreciate both of your input and I think I will go the route of eating back most of the calories. I eat so healthy right now that it's hard to even hit 1200, so I'll be restructuring my food with my new workout routine. :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've done both, and both work.

The approaches are different, but the ultimate goal should be the same - a healthy, sustainable calorie and macro intake.

I agree with you, but I want to clear up what you said so there is no confusion. I am pretty sure you're saying, you have done the MFP method (eating back your calories) and you have also calculated your own calorie deficit and determined the calories to eat with out eating exercise calories back.

What you said could easily be confused with "don't eat back your exercise calories following the MFP method." Which would put someone to low.

Yes, it might. But it might also put some people right where they need to be because they suck at estimating, which is why I added the last line about the end games being the same.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter how you estimate, what you log, or how much you eat back as long as you end up with a reasonably healthy calorie and macro intake.
  • ponyskates
    Options

When I first started out I was doing aqua aerobics and estimated that I was burning about 300 - 400 calories a class. After several months of aqua aerobics, I was able to do more and started doing 2 classes in a row a few times a week which was aqua aerobics and zumba. I estimated (based on what I found on different websites) that Zumba was burning about 500 - 600 calories. From there I started doing weights and spinning.

A few months ago I purchased a heart rate monitor (at the advice of my trainer and several instructors i know) and discovered that I was overestimating my burned calories with Zumba especially. I really only burn about 350 - 400 calories a class. My heart rate monitor has been the best investment in my weight loss journey. It is like a personal trainer on your wrist. It calculates your calories based on your personal height, weight and heart rate. Now I know when I burn 1000 calories, I really am. I don't work out w/out it.

Any suggestions on a heart rate monitor brand? I'd love to get one that is super accurate!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Go show it to any beginner. They won't get it much. The reason they would need to refer back to it is that they don't fully understand it. If it was for a more advanced member, i wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with that group...

I link it to beginners all the time and they've gotten it.

The reason that they would need to refer back to what? The definition of EAT? It's at the top of the post. They just have to look up a few lines to re-read that definition that you apparently think they would forget within two seconds of reading. I think that you're seriously underestimating that average intelligence of people on this site.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    Gee, who to listen to here?

If I do a little investigation, sometimes easy here and sometimes not but I conclude that:

The eater backers more often than not have a profile with some of their pics, either before, after or current. I hardly see any of the 1200 calorie group with them despite some being on this site for 1-3 years.

Another trend I have noticed is that many of the huge calorie restricters make an "I'm back" announcement which tells me .............. they gained the weight back. They are largely still proponents of the 1200 calorie regimen because "it worked last time" which is false because IF IT HAD worked they wouldn't be back.

Simple observations.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Any suggestions on a heart rate monitor brand? I'd love to get one that is super accurate!

They are all just estimates, and there is no way to guarantee that any one is going to be more or less accurate than any other. If you believe the hype, the new Garmins are using a pretty advanced formula, so in theory it'll be more accurate more often. But ultimately even that is an estimate.

Anything from Garmin, Suunto or Polar will be good quality. Then it just comes down to finding the one with the features you want.