Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tam2oh
    Tam2oh Posts: 27
    Options
    I want to net around 1800 calories a day so I do eat back my exercise calories if I need to get to 1800 calories. I already have myself at a deficit of 1000 calories based on my TDEE.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. I wouldn't be a very, umm, pleasant person to be around if I didn't. :wink: I'm still losing at an average of 2lbs per week. The only thing that is going to make me re-evaluate is if my weight loss stops for an extended period of time.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing! If you don't eat them back do you loose more weight??

Yes you can lose more weight but huge calorie deficits are not better. They can lead to hunger, moodiness, being tired, getting sick easier, over eating, low performance during workouts, lower mental focus, harder to meet nutrient needs, muscle loss, weight regain and lots of other issues.

A moderate calories deficit is easier to maintain and easier to reverse out of once you get closer to your goal weight.

This is not a case of "more is better".
  • KPMP1992
    KPMP1992 Posts: 66
    Options
    Yes I worked hard to earn those calories. Why would you not eat them back?

Exactly! :)
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I eat most back. If I don't I won't lose weight.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use the MFP method so I do eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories.