weight loss to drastic?

Options
I have been eating healthy for only 9 days so far and I have already lost 7lbs. Is it normal to lose weight this fast?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Depends, how active are you? How many calories are you eating per day? Are you doing low or no carb?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When you first start out, most people will lose a lot of water weight in the first couple weeks. It will slow down soon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? How much do you exercise?
  • megandhight
    megandhight Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not really active at all. I do 30 mins of yoga each morning and then sit in class all say since I'm a college student. I eat around 1200 cals per day and I try to do low carb as much as I can.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    What's your starting weight?
  • megandhight
    Options
    150. I'm 5'2" so its only 25 lbs away from my goal weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    150. I'm 5'2" so its only 25 lbs away from my goal weight.

It's normal to lose weight quickly at first, but if it doesn't slow down you need to increase your calorie goal. I suggest eating to lose only a half pound a week because you have so little to lose.
  • megandhight
    Options
    I will definitely keep an eye on my weight loss. I haven't noticed it when looking at myself so seeing that in the scale shocked me. I'm not in any hurry to lose weight my main thing is eating healthier since I have type 2 diabetes and PCOS and both will drastically improve with just a little weight loss. Thanks for all the advice!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you initially weighed yourself the day of or after a high sodium meal, doing any kind of new exercise, around TOM, late in the day after eating and drinking all day, that could put your weight up by a good several pounds. So when you lose that water weight as well as a bit of true weight loss it seems like a huge number.
    That's what likely happened to me. I weighed for the first time January 2nd, which means that all that bad food from the holidays (high volume and high sodium) made me weigh in with a lot of water weight. That first week I lost 6 pounds. Guaranteed at least 3 of those pounds were water weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have been eating healthy for only 9 days so far and I have already lost 7lbs. Is it normal to lose weight this fast?

It will mainly be water weight - maybe a couple of pounds of fat

unless you have cut over 2700 calories a day out of your diet - which is doubtful