Any hikers out there?

Options
stephm112
stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
Hi all

Just looking for some new hiking friends to go through this weight loss hiking journey with.

I'm currently training for a 100 mile non stop hike and need friends to remind me not to eat the entire house once I get back from a training hike lol.

Also tips on building up leg strength when at home if I can't get out on the hills.

Steph

Replies

• runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first 100 mile trail race. Still trying to find that fine line between weight loss and fueling my body. Add me if you like. We can share tips.
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi. You hike a 100 miles where do you do this and how long does it take you? I love the woods. Last week I walked a half-mile in the woods it only took me a 45 minutes the snow is 3 1/2 ft deep. I would like to learn more about your race.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hiker here too.... You can add me if you want.
  • stephm112
    Options
    runfoorun wrote: »
    I'm training for my first 100 mile trail race. Still trying to find that fine line between weight loss and fueling my body. Add me if you like. We can share tips.

It's hard isn't it. Spending hours hiking makes me so hungry and I just want to eat everything in sight. Usually bread. Lots and lots of bread
  • stephm112
    Options
    jwsfzr600 wrote: »
    Hi. You hike a 100 miles where do you do this and how long does it take you? I love the woods. Last week I walked a half-mile in the woods it only took me a 45 minutes the snow is 3 1/2 ft deep. I would like to learn more about your race.

It's in the UK, big event for charity. The 100 miles should be completed in 36 hours, at the moment we try to stick to a 15/16 minute mile on flats, run down hills, which gives us time to struggle up the hills. Figure if we can go fast where we can at the beginning, we'll have extra time to stop for food etc and obviously we'll end up slowing down near the end. We'll be hiking through the night too and I've never done night hikes so any tips for that would be great.

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Long time hiker / mtn distance runner. Run 80mi+/ week. I'll send a add. Other peeps are welcome too!
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I live in Norway and hike every week. I am trying to build up my endurance and cardiovascular to do some high peak hikes this summer. I am not only overweight, but I have asthma as well which feels especially hard going up hill for me. I would love some tips from those of you who care to share some good ways to build up my stamina, endurance, and cardio endurance for this goal. If any of you fellow hikers would like to add me, I would love to be friends. :blush:
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Grumpy_Marmot Posts: 385
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A-100!
    Allegheny 100 on June 12- 14, 2015! Unsupported, 50 hour carry what need! Feel free to add if anybody is getting into this, I am a long time hiker and scoutmaster that lives to hike the world!
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Very cool! I love hiking.. I've completed 16 miles/4500' elevation gain in a day.. as well as multi-day backpacking trips on famous trails. 100 miles in a 36 hours is quite a pace on hilly terrain! Sounds like a great goal and you're in for a real adventure. Wishing you well. :)
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Me to, live neat the Souther end of the A.T. and often drive north to the Smokey Mountains. Hiking stick has many hiking medallions. Packed my little one on my back most of last year. Welcome!

As for working prepping, my suggestions.
    (Quads and core) Ball Squats and Lunges, lots of them.
    (Hamstrings, lower back) Slow, controlled, Stiff legged dead lifts with a bar or free weights in each hand.
    (Get the HR up) Jumping Rope.
  • 4thDegreeKnight
    4thDegreeKnight Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    stephm112 wrote: »
    It's hard isn't it. Spending hours hiking makes me so hungry and I just want to eat everything in sight. Usually bread. Lots and lots of bread

Protein in the stomach will stop that feeling. Take a look at Body Fortress Whey or Isolate - tastes like a milkshake. If you mixed 2 cups to 2 cups milk and drink it fairly rapidly. It will fill you quickly, reduce hunger, and provide what your body needs to rebuild muscle and recover after the hike.

• stephm112
    Options

Protein in the stomach will stop that feeling. Take a look at Body Fortress Whey or Isolate - tastes like a milkshake. If you mixed 2 cups to 2 cups milk and drink it fairly rapidly. It will fill you quickly, reduce hunger, and provide what your body needs to rebuild muscle and recover after the hike.

Brilliant thanks will definitely pick some up!
  • stephm112
    Options
    Me to, live neat the Souther end of the A.T. and often drive north to the Smokey Mountains. Hiking stick has many hiking medallions. Packed my little one on my back most of last year. Welcome!

As for working prepping, my suggestions.
    (Quads and core) Ball Squats and Lunges, lots of them.
    (Hamstrings, lower back) Slow, controlled, Stiff legged dead lifts with a bar or free weights in each hand.
    (Get the HR up) Jumping Rope.

Thank you! Will definitely be doing lots of this!
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love hiking but I'm super bad about eating everything in sight when I get home/back to camp. I'd love some tips on healthy alternatives. I'm trying to get in shape to go on a 3 week camp/hike.
  • jmcfitnesspal1
    jmcfitnesspal1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried beef jerky? I buy it in individual size packs, easy to carry. The jerky is salty (great if you've been losing sodium/sweating) and I find it's chewy and not sweet....so it takes a while to eat and I don't crave the gummy bears I would rather be eating. :)
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    runfoorun wrote: »

I have tried protein also and it works. I make a high calorie protein shake after my workouts which usually include 30 min of strength training, followed by my run. I use 8 oz of 2% milk, a banana, 2 spoonfuls of peanut butter, 2 scoops of whey protein, and another 8 oz of iced water so it blends into a milkshake texture. It's over 600 calories but it's better than my former habit of scarfing down carbs.

• stephm112
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. Will try to get my hands on some beef jerky or would biltong work too? My husband always brings loads back
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hiker here as well, tho I have never done more than a 16 mile day. 100? Hat's off to you. Training for a half marathon right now. I'd echo previous posts about protein. I like to get mine from eggs when at home and nuts on the trail.