How am I percieved at the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You're the first person that I've seen on here that participates in Cross Fit. I just started with them here in Austin, and I love it!! I have yet to see the results, but its so much fun that I just keep going and sweating like a nut. You're right, no one there cares anything about looks or other superficial nonsense they're just there to challenge their strength and will. :flowerforyou:

It seems CrossFitter's are kind of looked at as "cultish", and that it's all a huge fad. They also get blasted for bad technique and form... I know from my own experience right now, I'm going through a month of FUNDAMENTALS to learn proper technique, we learn a new "skill" each class and then review past skills, then do a WOD. WOD's are done for time, and when you are working so intensively, toward muscle fatigue, form sometimes gets compromised.
    Best workout I've ever done, period. Glad you are loving it too!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i train in a gym abroad and everyone keeps commenting how crazy the Englishman is dashing from one cardio to another--they also think i look like john from 'lost' who ever that maybe??-its a hot climate and nobody does much exertion except me!
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    I am the one where young girls look at me weird when I pick up the 30lbs weights to do squats & the one who a lady in my turbo kick class says "you're going to kick my *kitten*". :laugh:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    oh, admittedly I'm also the person looking at the next machine over to see where people are at, and like a kid chuckling to myself when I pass someone up in calories or miles.....sad but true I'm a competitor
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Honestly I'm very certain that nobody even notices me at the gym. But sometimes I like to pretend they think of me as that crazy dude who's trying to break the elliptical by pushing it as hard as he possibly can. Or the guy who's sprinting on the treadmill in training to avenge his honor against his arch-nemesis who dishonored him and his family long ago - some kind of really cool back story that justifies all the seriousness I'm putting into the workout, lol. Working out seems so much cooler when you've got some kind of dramatic reason for it, like when Rocky was training to take down Ivan Drago towards the end of the Rocky IV... that was a cool workout sequence.

Oh my gosh... I'm totally gonna try this!! I'll have to work on coming up with a good background story! LOL
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm the one with the crazy curly hair that was attempted to be pulled up but still has random pieces hanging out.
    I'm also the one that usually has a magazine on the elliptical/treadmill that I'm not even reading because I use it to block myself from seeing how much time I have left! ( hopefully no one every wants it!! lol)
  • Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym I always grabbed Road & Track or Scientific American instead of the fashion or gossip magazines. I probably wasn't perceived as very serious since I always was reading something on the bike or elliptical. Those magazines helped cover up my time though too since I was usually on the machine for 45 min to an hour.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy who built a home gym at his house, because he got tired of all the stupid **** at the gym.

I hate people hogging equipment, and spending half the time on the phone
    I hate people looking at you waiting for you to finish

I love to workout alone where my head is clear.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm the guy who built a home gym at his house, because he got tired of all the stupid **** at the gym.

I hate people hogging equipment, and spending half the time on the phone
    I hate people looking at you waiting for you to finish

I love to workout alone where my head is clear.
    like!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    During the winter months I was training for a half marathon and YES I was that witch who wouldn't get off the treadmill in the 20 minute cap.

I am shocked they put a 20 minute limit on the treadmill. Isn't 20 minutes the minium you are supposed to have for cardio? I am happy my gym has a no limit on the cardio equipment.

Lately I have been the person that goes into the floor exercise room and does about 5 different core exercises and then just lays there for a couple minutes. The MMA that are training in there are probably wondering why the chick with the crazy curly hair is trying to take a nap. While really I am just watching them beat each other up.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am the fat lady on the treadmill behind the hottie in the tight short pants with the cute butt, as long as he is working out, I am trudging along behind him on the treadmill, :wink:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'm the "I don't give a crap what I look like" woman with my hair thrown up in a pony tail! I glue myself to the tv the whole time and YES I wlll laugh out loud if something funny is on! If a machine doesn't have a tv I don't use it, lol. Don't care what ANYONE thinks of me when I'm at the gym, I'm not there to impress anyone but myself! And YES I wipe down each machine after using it EVERY time, I hate watching people walk away without wiping, they put the paper towels and spray there for a reason along with the big signs !!!!!

I'm glad you wipe it off BEFORE you use it EVERY TIME!!!! Save the "hate" cause I also DON"T CARE what ANYONE THINKS!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Im that girl with long blonde hair who DOES NOT WEAR HER HAIR UP. People think I do it to "look good" but really its because I hate my ears :blushing:

Wow! Never thought of this as a reason. :flowerforyou: