Calories in a huge Turkish Pizza?

2»

Replies

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Ooo I love lahmacun! I ate that when I was in Istanbul :smiley: ...Mmmm now i am craving turkish food
  • nrsblc
    nrsblc Posts: 85 Member
    Hey everyone! I am from Turkey and that delicious Turkish pizza is actually called "Lahmacun" and it is probably the healthiest "fast-food" one can eat:) it is also even encouraged to be eaten by dietitians in moderation. 1 whole lahmacun is approx. 300 cals.
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    kandeye wrote: »
    Ooo I love lahmacun! I ate that when I was in Istanbul :smiley: ...Mmmm now i am craving turkish food

That's awesome you had one :) They are delicious! Lucky they are everywhere in Europe, so you can always get one. :P
  • jenniator
    nrsblc wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I am from Turkey and that delicious Turkish pizza is actually called "Lahmacun" and it is probably the healthiest "fast-food" one can eat:) it is also even encouraged to be eaten by dietitians in moderation. 1 whole lahmacun is approx. 300 cals.

It's really nice to meet someone from Turkey! I know they are called Lahmacun, but I'm just so use to calling them Turkish Pizza's since that's what there called here. :P That's wonderful to know they are one of the healthiest fast foods. They are always made from scratch, have healthy ingredients, and are cooked in the oven without any oil or anything. So I thought they could be a lot healthier than other things, but I wasn't sure. :) It's good they are since I like to have one once in a while. That would be really good if they were only 300 calories ha ha! Hopefully the one I had was only 1,000. Most of the calories come from the dough I think.
  • jenniator
    edited March 2015
    When I searched the Lahmacun, the one with the most calories was 450 for one. So if you had 2, it would still be less than 1,000. Hopefully the one I had was only 1,000 since it was about the size of two.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    nrsblc wrote: »

Doubtful, at least not a 13 inch one...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Lahmacun can be a rather low cal food if you prepare it at home, so if you love it, it is worth googling recipes. It is really easy to make too. But, if the restaurant tends to cook with very fatty meat (very common) and uses a ton of fat in cooking (again very common) it can end up being double or triple the calories of what you would cook at home.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    jenniator wrote: »
    Mpol2 wrote: »
    What is Turkish pizza? Sound like that could be yummy

Oh it absolutely is delicious! It's not really common in America, Cananda, ect. It's mostly common in Europe. That's why it's a little bit more difficult to find out the calories for it, especially since Europe isn't really big on calorie labels or stuff like that. A turkish Pizza dough similar to a pizza/tortilla, but it's really thin and with minced meat on it. It is cooked in a little oven to heat it up. Then you put vegetables on it like lettuce, onion, tomato, and parsley. After the vegetables are on, a garlic sauce goes on it and you can choice if you want a really spicy sauce (Sambal). Then it is rolled up like a burrito and you eat it. So good!

Europe is big on calorie labels, we do have food labelling regulations here too you know. We're not on the moon.
    What ISN'T big on calorie labels is takeouts/independent restaurants like the one you bought your turkish pizza from. I find it hard estimating most things I eat while I'm out and about because it's impossible to know exactly what's in it/how they cook it. That's just the tough thing about eating out at restaurants etc.
    So I think as long as you don't eat them really often (the dough and garlic sauce will likely be high cal) and just indulge in one every now and again you should be fine.
  • Slimthingping
    Slimthingping Posts: 8 Member
    What would you say the weight of it was?
  • jenniator
    What would you say the weight of it was?

I honestly have no idea what the weight is. I didn't think it mattered much since most of the weight was coming from veggies. There's not a lot of meat on there, but it's still good.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Just a quick calculation...

A 13 inch tortilla is about 400 calories

A generous 6oz portion of 80% lean beef (Raw weight) is about 450 calories

I'll be *very* generous on the veggies and say there's 100 calories of those (unless they were cooked in oil, which could raise the calorie content significantly)

The only recipe I could find that included a garlic sauce made it with Greek yogurt as the base, without any added fats or other items that would be high calorie. I don't know exactly how much sauce was on there, so I'll be generous again and say 1/2 cup. That's about 100 calories.

Add that all together and that comes out to 1050 calories.

Does anyone see any problems with my calculations? I've tried to be overly generous with the portion sizes so as not to underestimate the calories.