Nausea during workout?

Options
Occasionally (like today) I get nauseous during my workout class. I eat greek yogurt with chia seeds in the early mornings and then half of an english muffin with PB half an hour before workout pretty much every day as well as plenty of water, so I don't think it's diet related. It really hinders performance in my class though and it sucks. Does anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Are you getting dizzy as well? I only get nauseous when doing difficult ab exercises and it's usually because I've drank too much water :)

Low blood sugar and motion sickness are two of the most common reasons for nausea while exercising. I had to add some extra protein for my pre-workout snack and that has helped with dizziness, but I don't know if it would work for nausea.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat for a least 2 hours before a workout - this is something I learned training for a half marathon. I literally would get gut wrenching stomach cramps and/or nausea and wouldn't be able to run. I talked with a dietician who works with alot of runners to see what I could do - I couldn't run after eating but I needed energy so I wouldn't hit the wall -- thus food was essential to my running success. To combat this I would have carbs right before bed (like a bowl of oatmeal) and when I had a longer run in the mornings (15 Km plus, I would set my alarn and have more carbs at 3:00 am (my early runs started at 6 - 6:30). I would eat immediately after long runs.

Also, nausea can also be a result of dehydration/not enough water. If you work out in the am, make sure to even have lots of water the night before.
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Two thoughts stand out. First, I get really bad motion induced vertigo and now that I think about it, I generally experience this after we do rocking type exercises (which is not every class). It also could help to move my pre workout eating to an hour before as it does generally feel like I have a bubble high in my stomach.
  • SpazQ
    SpazQ Posts: 104
    Options
    despite all the broscience here concerning sodium......... that can also be an issue.

I've never monitored my intake but I certainly know when I am low.

If you notice, sodium intake is blamed for quite a lot here on MFP.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    only happened to me once - when doing swiss ball crunches after drinking half a bottle of water...
    but, i only ever have a protein shake half hour before exercising, no solid food for at least 1-2 hours.