What the...?

Options
How in the world could I have gained 4 (4!) pounds in two days?!! Yesterday, I did have salty foods, but I have not eaten thousands of calories. Plus, "girly" time (sorry if tmi) was here. I think I would need to eat roughly 14000 calories to do that. I know for a fact I didn't do that. I have seen the scale yoyo before, but not by 4 pounds in two days. So discouraging.

Replies

• blbst36
    blbst36 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates daily. It's probably water weight. If the fluctuations bother you that much, weigh yourself less.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Based on what you have here, it's bound to be largely retained water, or "water weight." It's NOT fat. Hang in there, drink some extra water (ironically, it helps), and weigh yourself again in a week. I bet it'll look better then. :)
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You've pretty much answered your own question with salty foods and your period! Some people here say they can fluctuate up to 5lbs sometimes. It's nothing to worry about. As you say, you know you haven't eaten 4lbs worth of calories, so it's just a fluctuation that'll go in a few days.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium intake=water retention
    Time of the month=excess hormones=water retention

I had the same thing happen this weekend and I shot up 3.5 pounds, but I knew these were also my culprits. I'm almost back down to my weight on Friday.
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok. Whew! This weight loss thing has so many curve balls.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention and normal daily fluctuations.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Salt and time of the month - bingo. Instant "gain" of 4-5 pounds or more for me. Don't worry about it, it's water weight and will drop off soon.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to do this a lot as you go along because the water in our body is in constant fluctuation. One thing to keep in mind as time goes along: weight loss isn't linear. As long as your weight is generally trending downward, you're doing great. Many people only weigh on a weekly basis so they're only seeing the trend instead of the fluctuations.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You named the issue right there - Salty foods + time of month. Weigh again in a couple days, or even each day so you can see that fluctuations are normal and not alarming. You got this pretty lady!
  • oludi
    oludi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After I got an activity tracker I have found that activity levels can impact weight loss.