high cholesterol? solutions?

Hello all!

I'm 25 years old with a healthy weight (BMI 19.5) and what I would consider a healthy diet. I originally joined MFP to make sure I eat sufficient calories (I tend to undereat if I don't pay attention!), but now that I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol (LDL 222 and total cholesterol 301), I'd love some advice. I'm already eating a heart-healthy diet (very low in saturated fat and cholesterol), I have zero relatives with cholesterol or heart issues (so genetics shouldn't be an issue), and while I could definitely increase exercise (I'm building up to power-walking 30 minutes a day), I'm confused as to how I have such high numbers. What more could I be doing to lower my cholesterol?

Thanks for the advice!
- Syd

Replies

• DawnPodojil
    DawnPodojil Posts: 12 Member
    I too am the only family member with high cholesterol. I moved to a whole food plant based diet after reading the book "Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I also discussed with my doctor and he suggested eliminating sugar, alcohol, dairy, and meat products. All of these will increase your cholesterol. Following this diet for 3 months as well as exercising for an hour every day (Jazzercise) got me off the medication and I'm trying really really hard to stick to it. It's not easy when hubby orders a steak at dinner and I have just a baked potato, but I don't want to go back on the medication. I've come a long way in reducing my total cholesterol numbers, but I still have a way to go. Good luck with your journey!