Let's kill a myth: Caffeine will dehydrate you.

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I disagree. MFP isn't some nameless faceless entity. It is made up of people and we are part of what makes up that community. People post facts and opinions and as always it is up to each and every one of us to discern the fact from the opinion.

I agree, but there is a nameless faceless entity behind it and there are ways and means of improving the signal to noise ratio. They do however seem to like the traffic, as per the mindless "bumps" and people asking the same question 2 posts apart from each other.

It's always sad watching someone ask for help using MFP as it is intended, only to be offered 25 different opinions most of which aren't about how the thing is supposed to be used in the first place. I'm sure they leave non the wiser. A moderated section could be a lot more helpful in that area at least.

But yeah, we have to try to filter out the nonsense for ourselves. I'm off to inflate a car tire with a suction line and empty a bucket by pointing a hose at it (with apologies to EM2WL fanatics).
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Agreed!

It's frustrating to see how so many argue that coffee dehydrates you. Same as when people say diet pop is filled with sodium.

HAHAHA
    I'm still surprised when I put a 20 oz diet coke in my food diary and it only says 70 mg of sodium. I have to check the label and then I'm like "whhhaaaa......??? hey not as bad as I thought!" And yes, I do that almost every time I have one..... :laugh: :laugh: :ohwell:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's funny, we use caffeine to deplete for bodybuilding competitions. Why? Because it helps dehydrate the body.

isn't that caffeine tablets though, rather than the caffeinated drinks of the OP ?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    more drugs all around!!
  • Yliy
    Yliy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water I can't imagine being dehydrated no matter how much soda/coffee I drank...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So it's not a myth but instead research quantifies the amount needed to obtain the diuretic effect.

Moderation is key!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo clinic.

Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

STOP promoting this myth. You aren't doing anyone any favors.

it's still valid you aren't considering how many people drink espresso style cofee. in fact i dont know anyone who drinks the watered down versions anymore

average amount of caffeine in starbucks coffee grande coffee - 330 mg
    . i know plenty of people who drink 2 cups of starbucks a day

First, the average amount of caffeine in a Starbucks coffee is not 330mg. The average looks to be around 150 according to their website. The venti caffee americano has 300, and that's the highest since it's an espresso based coffee.

I see I'll have to go deeper. Yes, at some point it has the effect HOWEVER, it is still negligible and won't have negative effects on your hydration simply because you are consuming a large amount of water in connection with the caffeine. If you were taking just caffeine pills in the 500 - 800mg range without water, THEN you might see negative hydration effects.

You must consider all variables and provide accurate information.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you said that, although it means it DOES have a diuretic effect on me cos I drink LOOOADS of tea!

But you're drinking a vastly higher percentage of water to caffeine in your tea. You will not dehydrate.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Modern Myth

Medical experts have warned for years that caffeine is a strong diuretic. The notion believed by many is that by drinking caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea and colas, you will need to urinate so frequently you could become dehydrated if you're not careful
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Diuretic Effect

Caffeine appears to have a diuretic effect only when consumed in excess. An excessive amount is more than 500 to 600 mg a day, or the equivalent of between four and seven cups of coffee daily, according to MayoClinic.com.

Moderation

In moderation, caffeine is as strong a diuretic as water. Various investigations comparing caffeine with water or a placebo seldom noted an increase in urine volume, according to an "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism" June 2002 review of 10 previous studies led by scientists at the University of Connecticut.

Common Dehydration Causes

Although caffeine does not appear to dehydrate, other things can. Vomiting and diarrhea, such as that occurring with a stomach bug, can deplete your water reserves, as can diet supplements like laxatives or diuretics that promise to help you shed "water weight." It is important to be aware of dehydration signs and take precautions
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to cut their coffee intake while trying to lose weight?
    It tastes great. The caffeine in coffee provides a boost. It helps curb my appetite.
    And if it's a diuretic, terrific. That's an added bonus.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    That's funny, we use caffeine to deplete for bodybuilding competitions. Why? Because it helps dehydrate the body.

isn't that caffeine tablets though, rather than the caffeinated drinks of the OP ?

Some do. I didn't. Coffee and energy drinks.
  • ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    I love love love coffee... but I can't have caffeine (sleep disorder... caffeine makes it angry) so I drink decaf :)

Also, coffee's full of antioxidants. That has to count for something, right? Even if it did dehydrate you a bit (I agree that it doesn't), who cares? You're getting fluids elsewhere too, and even the coffee itself isn't a total wash in that department.

Edit: caffeine makes my sleep disorder angry. I just realized my original post said "coffee makes it angry." Big difference :drinker:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

8488541.png
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I never listened or believed it. I have my coffee every morning before my workout. I also don't eat before my workout. Makes me sick. To each their own but no, caffeine in a normal intake amount will not dehydrate you.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo clinic.

... caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

STOP promoting this myth. You aren't doing anyone any favors.

I have at least 500-600mg of caffeine a day, easy. So it's not a myth for me.

By the way, a "cup" of coffee is only considered to be 6oz. A grande size at Starbucks is 16oz.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'll still stay away from it except my morning cup. In large quantities it can cause heart problems. I was drinking several pots a day at work, along with my Starbucks Mocha's. It caused an irregular heart beat and contributed to my high blood pressure. I do still drink 2 cups in the morning ( I was drinking 1 cup until I switched to 1/2 caff) It's got a good amount of potassium and gets me going in the morning.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'l be impressed if you mange to kill a myth here, this place runs on them ;-)

I know. I let my aggravation levels get too high and this thread is a result. If it reaches only one person, is it worth it? Probably not. Oh well.

I think it's worth it. Most people have heard and believed so many diet myths by the time they reach MFP. Hopefully, by reading the forums, and then doing their own research, they will learn over time that they are just myths!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I still think caffiene dehydrates you. Mayo was paid by the soda industry to post that.