Lifting and grip strength

Options
This is really a question more for those of us of a certain age. I have arthritis in my fingers, and I've noticed I am losing grip strength. For weightlifting, at least deadlifts, the limiting factor some days is simply my grip strength. I *hate* straps.

I am thinking of getting on of those grip trainers that rock climbers use and just keeping it in car to use at traffic lights. Do you think something like that would be helpful?

Thanks!

Replies

• Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Grip trainers rubber balls and bands are all good, you can also do some hanging at the gym park or home for time to strengthen your grip. Two weight plates together with the smooth sides out make great grip trainers. Curling individual plates and using thicker grips in bar/Dumbbells is good also.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Try this:

deadlift overhead with no thumb first.
    Then add the thumb in overhand grip.
    then use the offset grip.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Arthritis generally isn't a reason for loss of grip strength unless it is really advanced rheumatoid arthritis. If it continues to get worse or if you ever have numbness, tingling or pain in your fingers or hand I would go see a neurologist. Unexplained loss of grip strength is usually attributed to some sort of entrapment neuropathy such as carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome or a cervical radiculopathy.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    use reverse grip and chalk, and really squeeze the bar, all the time , on every lift not just dead lifts. getting in the habit of squeezing the bar is all around good, but will really develop your grip strength over time.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, use chalk!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend grippers and such to translate to deadlift grip strength. I've tried it and it made little/no difference. You want to mimic the actual pattern that you're trying to improve. Which basically means, holding onto a bar with a bunch of weight. So do static holds, such as holding a relatively heavy deadlift for time. Or hanging from a pull-up bar for time. Or farmers walks with DBs. That sort of thing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    if you want to go the approach of training to improve grip, which seems like a good idea to me, I'd look at those 'fat grips' I believe they are called from rogue.com. you can slip them over any bar. the increased diameter is supposed to train your grip muscles and when you return to a normal diameter bar its supposed to be easier.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You can try something like dual-arm or single-arm DB farmers walks. Those can really push the limits of your grip strength and in the process also improve core and trap musculature.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Arthritis generally isn't a reason for loss of grip strength unless it is really advanced rheumatoid arthritis. If it continues to get worse or if you ever have numbness, tingling or pain in your fingers or hand I would go see a neurologist. Unexplained loss of grip strength is usually attributed to some sort of entrapment neuropathy such as carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome or a cervical radiculopathy.

+1

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My grip gets weak and I get trigger finger. I got it from building various structures and shoveling dirt. Now I play tennis. Not helping. I perform the farmers walk, thick-bar pull-ups... My hands are small. I am wondering if a majority of "good" grip strength is with the palm. My fingers seem to do all the work. :(
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You are incorrect. You don't have to have advanced arthritis to lose grip strength and osteoarthritis can also cause it.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Back when I had my deadlift weight way the eff up there, grip was what prevented me from moving forward. I have one of those grip thingies at my desk. Also, I think there's something called farmer walks... just walking back and forth with heavy dumbbells in your hands, that should help with grip strength.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A few things:
    - Learn the olympic style of hook grip (thumbs under fingers), which hurts a lot at first but does help.
    - Alternate arms on deadlift
    - Strengthen grip strength by hanging from a pull up bar. Just hang as long as you can and once you’re up to two minutes, try hanging from one hand at a time. You should still be able to get some grip strength gains, but you may have limits.
    -
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    My grip gets weak and I get trigger finger. I got it from building various structures and shoveling dirt. Now I play tennis. Not helping. I perform the farmers walk, thick-bar pull-ups... My hands are small. I am wondering if a majority of "good" grip strength is with the palm. My fingers seem to do all the work. :(

That's how it is, your palm doesn't have anything to do with it.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I would not recommend grippers and such to translate to deadlift grip strength. I've tried it and it made little/no difference. You want to mimic the actual pattern that you're trying to improve. Which basically means, holding onto a bar with a bunch of weight. So do static holds, such as holding a relatively heavy deadlift for time. Or hanging from a pull-up bar for time. Or farmers walks with DBs. That sort of thing.

My advice assumed an interest in all sorts of hand strength. Pinch' crush etc. if he's losing strength on a particular lift he may be losing it elsewhere that is not readily apparent.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

You are incorrect. You don't have to have advanced arthritis to lose grip strength and osteoarthritis can also cause it.

I guess you missed where I said "arthritis GENERALLY isn't reason for loss of grip...."

The instances you are bringing up are the exception, not the rule.

You have also failed to take into consideration patient failure to accurately perceive. Patients tell me all the time that they are weak throughout a specific pattern of movement. After an exam I find that they are not inhibited in that movement by lack of strength. They are inhibited due to discomfort or nervousness about eliciting discomfort. This is generally where people with osteoarthritis gain the perception of lost strength since the muscles and nerves are still intact.
  • TheSaoirseTree
    TheSaoirseTree Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I guess you missed where I said "arthritis GENERALLY isn't reason for loss of grip...."

The instances you are bringing up are the exception, not the rule.

You have also failed to take into consideration patient failure to accurately perceive. Patients tell me all the time that they are weak throughout a specific pattern of movement. After an exam I find that they are not inhibited in that movement by lack of strength. They are inhibited due to discomfort or nervousness about eliciting discomfort. This is generally where people with osteoarthritis gain the perception of lost strength since the muscles and nerves are still intact.

No, I didn't fail to consider anything. I was just stating a fact in response to your reply. She wasn't asking for you to diagnose her or refer her to a neurologist. Most people that have a diagnosis of some kind of arthritis, already see a doctor.

You may have failed to take into consideration that she was asking for advice on grip strength, not for you to flex your medical knowledge.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't fail to consider anything.

You did. Then you got salty. Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    As most have stated, the way to improve grip strength is to do gripping exercises with heavy weights or bar hangs etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png