How much protein to lose weight?

Options
My boyfriend is losing weight and trying to build muscle. He said I should be eating my weight in protein. I feel like if I do that I'll be consuming more calaries than I need to lose weight.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Your weight in protein?
    That's a lot of protein.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is losing weight and trying to build muscle. He said I should be eating my weight in protein.

Really? ;)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Protein does not help you lose weight. It will help you maintain muscle as you do lose weight (coupled with strength training). I aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean mass (not total weight).
  • jenna_gurl411
    Options
    Your weight in protein?
    That's a lot of protein.

That's what I said. I was thinking between 30 And 40g
  • ernurse167
    ernurse167 Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1Gm of protein for every pound of body mass.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    All that matters for weight loss is calorie reduction. However, increasing protein might make you feel more full and make it easier for you to eat at a deficit.

Some people on here say to eat 1 - .8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass, but I have read lower numbers elsewhere. I aim to get around 75 grams per day and having been doing well. The idea is to try to preserve muscle mass as you lose weight. You should also lift weights.
  • jenna_gurl411
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Protein does not help you lose weight. It will help you maintain muscle as you do lose weight (coupled with strength training). I aim for 1g of protein per pound of lean mass (not total weight).

I tried explaining that and he wasnt getting it. Haha. I'm watching what I eat and trying to increase my protein a little (i wasnt eating enough previously)
  • jenna_gurl411
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »

I tried explaining that and he wasnt getting it. Haha. I'm watching what I eat and trying to increase my protein a little (i wasnt eating enough previously)

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It really come down to what your goals are and what you are trying to accomplish. Plus we would need more information to determine what would be suitable for you in terms of macros.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your weight in protein?
    That's a lot of protein.

I think he meant your weight in grams of protein.

1g of protein per lb of Lean Body Mass is not unreasonable (this isn't Body Weight) for someone trying to lose weight and training.

30-40g is on the low side.

Edit: worth reading - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • lemon629
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your weight in protein?
    That's a lot of protein.

You probably should eat more than 30-40 grams of protein daily. More like 60, at least.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I try to get between 70 and 100g. I usually end up in the 70s
  • jenna_gurl411
    Options
    Just starting out at a small goal. 10 pounds to lose. Weighting roughly 148 (haven't been weighed in about a month so a rough estimate) at 5'4". Trying to reduce my calarie intake to about 1200 calaries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your weight in protein?
    That's a lot of protein.

More than that. 1 gram per Lb of LBM is over the top...1 gram per Lb of LBM is ideal...but really, so long as I'm getting 0.8 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM I'm cool with that.

Also, it doesn't make you lose weight...getting a good amount of protein helps you preserve your muscle mass while you cut fat...that in conjunction with regular exercise and particularly some kind of resistance training. Protein is also satiating and does increase your TEF (Thermal Effect of Food), but it's nominal.

In the absence of adequate protein and regular exercise (to include resistance training) you risk losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. People want to be "toned" when they're done...to be "toned" you have to have muscles.
  • jenna_gurl411
    Options
    To help consume the higher protein should I consider protein shakes?
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options

+1. Also please note, weight loss and building muscle are two very different goals. One requires a calorie deficit. The other requires a calorie surplus.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just starting out at a small goal. 10 pounds to lose. Weighting roughly 148 (haven't been weighed in about a month so a rough estimate) at 5'4". Trying to reduce my calarie intake to about 1200 calaries.

If you are losing weight I would incorporate a weight routine to keep your muscles fit and toned. Dependning on your eating habbits and assuming you like protein I would increase your protein to 1 gram for each pound of LBM and the difference in calaores split between carbs and Fat at a deficit of course.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to build muscle? Are you lifting weights? Or do you feel you need to eat more protein just because your boyfriend told you to?

If you do aim to gain muscle, then yes you will need to eat more protein. You can get protein from chicken, turkey, quinoa, non fat cottage cheese, eggs, cheese, tofu etc. If you feel you still can't consume enough protein from your food, then yes you can drink protein shakes.

But I wouldn't drink protein shakes unless your goal is muscle gain.
  • lemon629
    Options
    To help consume the higher protein should I consider protein shakes?

Not if it is in addition to your regular meals. You might end up consuming too many calories and gain weight if you don't make other changes. A healthy diet should already contain a reasonable amount of protein. Improve your current diet first, tracking everything. Then worry about adding shakes (or not).

I easily consume 75 grams of protein daily without drinking protein shakes.