I will weigh everything now

Options
2»

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    k. being new to measuring i only measure things like meat protien, cheese chocolate etc. all things not in a container. how do i measure a tablespoon of pb so it doesnt also add the weight of the measuring spoon itself? or do u guys just first weight the spoon, keep track of its weight then weigh the two together? lol probably a dumb question
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You put the jar on the scale, tare it, then take out what you want and it will show you how much you've removed. Or you just tare your spoon first.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'd put the plate on the scale, tare to 0. Put bread on, note weight. Tare to 0. Spread PB on bread, note weight. Tare to 0. And so on. It sounds like more 'work' than it is. For the PB I'd typically have a plan to put 24g on the bread, so would add more or less based on that.

*bread in my experience is typically 1.1 servings minimum. Such as 41g is supposed to be 2 slices for 1 serving. Its usually 46 or more g.
    k. being new to measuring i only measure things like meat protien, cheese chocolate etc. all things not in a container. how do i measure a tablespoon of pb so it doesnt also add the weight of the measuring spoon itself? or do u guys just first weight the spoon, keep track of its weight then weigh the two together? lol probably a dumb question

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    A can of bean sludge?
    pili90 wrote: »
    This is the first thing in my next shopping list! I need one...

The bean can probably includes the liquid in the weight. One way to get it 'right' would be to rinse, then weigh the total beans in grams. Divide by 3.5 to get 1 serving. And know you're getting a little bonus, because you're skipping a few bean sludge calories.

*snort*
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Bean sludge. . .. . .I like this term. . . . . . yum. . . .mix in some ham broth. . . . .green beans and ham broth. . . . . . . .okay getting hungry.

Bean sludge is the only way I can think of to describe it. LOL

• wizzybeth
    Options
    new favorite words: bean sludge

This forum is always a source of new favorite words and phrases I want to work into every day life! LOL

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You are confusing weights and measures...they are totally different.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who surprised by the amount of pb in one serving? Its massive! I could never put a full serving on one sandwich....one weighed tablespoon is PLENTY.

Now I could eat several servings straight out of the jar, lol. But on a sandwich? Half a serving is PLENTY.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Am I the only one who surprised by the amount of pb in one serving? Its massive! I could never put a full serving on one sandwich....one weighed tablespoon is PLENTY.

Now I could eat several servings straight out of the jar, lol. But on a sandwich? Half a serving is PLENTY.

I'm quite the opposite. All the time I thought I was spreading one serving when I was really using close to two. But then, I love peanut butter.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Yeah same with nutella. I never have a full serving. Except in oatmeal, because you have to put more to really taste it (so I don't mix both anymore, just not worth it, lol).
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    new favorite words: bean sludge

I'm glad you are all enjoying the bean sludge
  • Mapes84
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Yeah I had that happen with canned beans. I realized too that the nutrition value for the WEIGHT of the beans PROBABLY includes that icky sludge that most people rinse off - so from now on I'm going to weigh my beans out first, then rinse them. That will be sad, too. Because I have been rinsing first, THEN weighing...and there is NO WAY there are 3.5 servings in the can once you rinse them. So unrinsed MUST be the way they are calculating it.

"Bean sludge" is the best thing to come out of this thread. Excellent.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    :D
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Best thing out of this thread: bean sludge calorie skipping. . . . .you all are making me laugh today!

OP--I probably didn't contribute to this thread but then again, I don't most days. It isn't you or the topic. . . . .bean sludge. . . .can we at least give it a nickname for our diaries.....how many calories are in the sludge and what are the MACROS? Anyone. . . . .Bueller. . . .where is Cameron Frey?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    now go weigh your usuall two tablespoons of peanut butter. ill wait here with tissues...............
    Yep, the WORST! :'(
  • Mapes84
    Options
    My scale education continues...this morning I measured rolled oats, and oat flour, and both ended up being WAY MORE volume in a serving than what would fit in the measuring cup. Interesting...