Lonely Road To Fitness

Options
cskone38
cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm starting to see that there are numerous haters on the way to me being fit. I guess people prefer you to being unhealthy.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What's up?
    It does feel like a very personal road -- one that we travel by ourselves.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can get lonely, like when you don't have an accountability buddy. Don't let the haters get you down, find people who want to be healthy too, it's better for your mental health to have people who support your endeavor. :smiley:
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've had several friends comment on the way I eat, now that its healthy and that I don't just want to eat crap with them. Keep going. Get fit and healthy for yourself. Don't worry what others think!
  • AmyTCaldwell
    AmyTCaldwell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You keep your chin up,you focus on your dream,take it one day at a time,and I promise you will get there.I was 286lbs 5 years ago,I'm currently 112.8. Its not easy, and all diet food is expensive,I'm finding this out,so I portion size the best I can, I still eat pizza,burgers and chips,but in moderation, start slow,don't over do it,it didn't come over night and you won't lose any over night, 1 day at a time,you can do it,I wish you all the best, and god bless,:-) cardio,low intensity,well it was Richard Simmons, sweat in to the oldies,was what got me on track,people say bad things about Richard Simmons,but he was heaven sent to me.try his videos,you won't be dissapointed. :-)
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You will find people eventually. It took me TWO years to find a group of people who are now my awesome friends and who share similar lifestyles and goals. It was very, very lonely at certain parts of my journey. But it helped me realize that this is my journey and I am the one who has to put one foot in front of the other. It built character and strength.

Good Luck!!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Misery loves company . . . and people resist change. So, yes they seem like haters but in most cases are just immature in how they express themselves :) Not an excuse but a reality check that 'we have to be in total control of our health' no one else.

Sometimes it is a lonely journey. Trust me, 5 compliments can be overshadowed by one snide remark every time.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Misery loves company . . . and people resist change. So, yes they seem like haters but in most cases are just immature in how they express themselves :) Not an excuse but a reality check that 'we have to be in total control of our health' no one else.

Sometimes it is a lonely journey. Trust me, 5 compliments can be overshadowed by one snide remark every time.

Both of these points are SO true! I'm fortunate that I don't like to workout with anyone else, nor do I care if anyone else around me shares my health philosophy, so I just ignore it all for the most part. But, OP, since you are new to this I'd say just start getting used to it now, persevere, and be your own cheerleader and coach! You're doing this for YOU anyway and not anyone else.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Find new & supportive friends. Seriously.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Find new & supportive friends. Seriously.

This and just keep at it! I've had people I don't know congratulate me on looking trim, which is lovely of them to say!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Find new friends if they are not supporting you.

My friends, overall, are pretty supportive, but I try not to shove what im doing down their throats, either.

they dont seem to like it when i tell them the secret to lose weight is to eat less, move more. and thats okay. theyre not ready (and may never be). I have noticed that my friends who have been down this road or are (what i generally consider) 'healthier' are particularly supportive and more chatty with me about it, which makes sense because now we have something in common that wasn't before.