Preparation for Intense Exercise

Options
Hey folks!
I'm intrigued, what are some of the things everybody does to prepare for an intense day/evening of exercise?
By intense I mean one in which you might only do on a rare occasion or it could be a half/full marathon.

I think that everybody prepares differently and it interests me because in the past I've gained some of the most useful things I do from seeing other peoples pre-workout routines.

I'm planning a huge workout tonight (I love my night time exercises.. runs, etc). Given that on average my runs are around the 10-13 mile mark, when I 'push' myself it's usually a gym session for an hour followed by a 16-17 mile run, it takes a little more preparation.

It's all too easy to shy away from adjusting macro-nutrients in preparation and at one point this would be my downfall. I tend to 'load' on fats and carbohydrates in the days leading up to the exercise and if short notice, I still load!

Personally I try to consume around 2/3 of my planned burn in the hours leading up to the exercise. Giving adequate time for digestion, etc.

As for planning psychologically, I like to plan my music list ahead of time.. Being sure to have enough music that helps keep me pushing through any fatigue or other barriers I might get to..

I'm interested, what do other people do in the lead up to a large training session or event...

How do YOU plan?

Replies

• evitamac
    evitamac Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm having "huge" workouts 5 times a week! All I do is make sure I have a good night's sleep and a small breakfast that will give me the energy I need without filling up my stomach (a banana, a shake or other fruits). I'm an early bird. I start working out around 7 and I spend several hours at the gym. Ah and I get my multivitamins, extra vitamin D and fish oil with my breakfast.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Before a long run (14-20 miles, or a marathon), I always eat the same thing for dinner: Kraft macaroni and cheese, tuna with ~Tbsp light mayo, and peas. It hasn't failed me yet! I also try to eat a lot of carbs -- pretzels, granola, etc. -- without a ton of fat for a day or two. The night before I also plan out my route, update my playlists and podcasts, and charge everything. I also make sure to drink extra water a few days preceding the run/race so I'm not dehydrated the day of. Before I go out to run, I'll drink some coffee and have a small carby/proteiny breakfast, and before I can doubt myself too much, I'm out the door!

PS: How often are you running 10-13 or 16-17 mile runs? That's some serious mileage!
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I do mostly video workouts, not runs, but if I'm working out harder/longer than normal, I'll often grab some fruit juice along with my water bottle. Those quick carbs give me energy to push through. (I only drink about 6-8oz though-- still gotta watch the calories!)
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For me it's about being as light as possible moving into the race, and the easiest way of doing that is to get rid of excess, harmful body fluids. So I tend to go out the night before, get really drunk on high alcohol sugary cocktails, and be violently sick for the remainder of the evening. In the morning I head to the sauna to get rid of as much leftover water as possible through sweat, and I have some dried meats and heavy cheeses to give me that burst of energy to fly through the marathon. Protip: consume these in the start bay, this gives your body adequate time to digest the food and deliver much needed nutrient for the tail end of the race.

During the races, I find the best thing to eat is something good and solid for your stomach to work on but is also lightweight and easy to carry. Sardines in oil are the best option here - they're packed with essential nutrients and it's surprisingly easy to open the cans doing 7:50 miles, plus the cans are easy to throw off the course. I try not to have any water during the race as it will just weigh me down. Sometimes I'll carry a cold roast potato as well - just make sure you include an equal quantity of butter with every serve of potato.

Around the 16-17 mile mark I'll switch to high energy mode. Best bet here is ketchup or mustard packets lifted, believe it or not, from local fast food places. Both have high sugar content, but being in semi liquid form they just glide down the throat, and coat your mouth with a refreshing flavour.

When I've finished the race, I usually reward myself with a few habanero peppers dipped in smooth peanut butter. They're piquant and a bit zesty and help to maintain that post-event high.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Nothing special as I don't really "gear up" for intense workouts. I suppose the closest would be prepping for long runs during marathon training and for those I just ate meals that wouldn't upset my stomach. I try not to over think my exercise/training.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My "prep" meal before a strenuous activity (race/obstacle course,etc) is salmon and a sweet potato (with the works: butter, cinnamon, some maple syrup maybe). I eat it at least 1-2 hours before. I feel like it gives me sustained energy without feeling bogged down with a bread belly. I like to feel light! ( ahh...the illusion of feeling faster...) I down coconut water right before the event and but otherwise try not to overhydrate leading up to it.
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    but seriously.

Night before: Pasta
    Pre-event: banana smoothie with skim milk, water
    At event: minimum 1L high salt sports drink, usually in a disposable container, water
    During: gels, banana, cracker with marmite (odd but it works), water
    After: protein drink, water
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    evitamac wrote: »
    I'm having "huge" workouts 5 times a week! All I do is make sure I have a good night's sleep and a small breakfast that will give me the energy I need without filling up my stomach (a banana, a shake or other fruits). I'm an early bird. I start working out around 7 and I spend several hours at the gym. Ah and I get my multivitamins, extra vitamin D and fish oil with my breakfast.
    The feeling after a great long stint at the gym is awesome, right?!?! I try and get at least one large session in a week!
    Before a long run (14-20 miles, or a marathon), I always eat the same thing for dinner: Kraft macaroni and cheese, tuna with ~Tbsp light mayo, and peas. It hasn't failed me yet! I also try to eat a lot of carbs -- pretzels, granola, etc. -- without a ton of fat for a day or two. The night before I also plan out my route, update my playlists and podcasts, and charge everything. I also make sure to drink extra water a few days preceding the run/race so I'm not dehydrated the day of. Before I go out to run, I'll drink some coffee and have a small carby/proteiny breakfast, and before I can doubt myself too much, I'm out the door!

PS: How often are you running 10-13 or 16-17 mile runs? That's some serious mileage!

I do the same really, I Carb load.. it really gives you that extra energy just when you need it the most.. doesn't it?!?!?!

Usually at least one half marathon style run a week, I try for two.. I LOVE the outdoors and I enjoy running.. Great combination!! I'm preparing to hopefully join the Royal Marines so, Cardio plays a massive part!
    I do mostly video workouts, not runs, but if I'm working out harder/longer than normal, I'll often grab some fruit juice along with my water bottle. Those quick carbs give me energy to push through. (I only drink about 6-8oz though-- still gotta watch the calories!)

Nice :) Fruit is an awesome source of Carbs and Sugar, right? Just the trick we all need sometimes when taking on a particularly strenuous exercise!

• norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Load up with creatine 30 minutes before, that's what I do anyway
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    norie92 wrote: »
    Load up with creatine 30 minutes before, that's what I do anyway
    Yeah :) I do creatine loading cycles. Usually 1 week loading, 2 weeks maintaining then 2 weeks without (3 x 5g - 1 x 5g - 0g - 0g - repeat).