Is this OK? Is my deficit too much??

Options
ogmomma2012
ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello guys!

I am just curious. I know that the Scoobys Workshop is highly recommended for healthy weightloss, so my question revolves around what it says my BMR is on the Scoobys Workshop site. I am copy/pasting what it gives me at my average scale weight of 205lbs, being 5'2" who is lightly active with 25% reducution.

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) - 1754
TDEE - 2412
Daily calories according to weight loss goal- 1809 for 30lbs/year

According to this, I may as well be starving myself with what I'm doing now. My daily calorie intake is usually between 1380 - 1600 but can be higher, depending on whether I think about my food first. I also do not eat all of my exercise calories back.

MFP is set up to reflect a 2lb/week, sedentary with 45min workouts 5X's/week. My calorie limit is 1200 + partial exercise calories.

I have been steadily losing an average 8-10lbs per month, give or take some binge days that slow my roll.

A problem has reared it's ugly head in the last couple of months. I think I'm shedding more hair than the usual. I had my bloodwork done for thyroid and anemia, it's all fine.

SO, question is, should I raise my deficit? It doesn't look like I'm shedding a ton, but more hair is found on my hairbrush than usual.

I am still severely overweight, and I am enjoying seeing the weight come off steadily at the same rate.

How much should I increase? I do visit a nutritionist every 3 months, my next visit is next Monday, and I'll tell her about my increased shedding of hair.

I just think I've done SO good and I don't want to slow down too much.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine when you have a lot to lose, honestly, but once you hit 190 or so I'd switch to 1.5 lb a month.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think it's fine when you have a lot to lose, honestly, but once you hit 190 or so I'd switch to 1.5 lb a month.

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'll just wait until I get a noticeable thinner area? :disagree: I do plan on lowering my weightloss per week once I get under 200.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Bumping for any other opinions, please?
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? No, I'm not stalking you! I'm just wondering if the winter conditions are causing your excessive "molting". Cold air outside, dry air indoors from having the heat on in the house, and too-hot water when washing your hair can all contribute to this problem. Perhaps washing your air less often, and in cooler water, can help. Maybe it's not additional hair loss at all. Has your hair gotten longer since you've started your diet? Maybe it's not more hair that you're seeing, just longer strands of it. I have very long hair; I can make a coat for a small animal from what I take off my hairbrush! Hormones can also affect our hair (and skin, for that matter). As we age, things happen-- and these things are not necessarily caused by diet.

My weekly weight loss goal was set like yours, although I'm shorter (5'), and started out heavier (256 lbs). I have 20 lbs to go, and my hair is in great shape. Don't mess around with the way you've been eating, as it seems to be working well for you. You are most likely not malnourished. In fact, your body is probably functioning better than it did when you were heavier. Good luck!
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Where do you live? No, I'm not stalking you! I'm just wondering if the winter conditions are causing your excessive "molting". Cold air outside, dry air indoors from having the heat on in the house, and too-hot water when washing your hair can all contribute to this problem. Perhaps washing your air less often, and in cooler water, can help. Maybe it's not additional hair loss at all. Has your hair gotten longer since you've started your diet? Maybe it's not more hair that you're seeing, just longer strands of it. I have very long hair; I can make a coat for a small animal from what I take off my hairbrush! Hormones can also affect our hair (and skin, for that matter). As we age, things happen-- and these things are not necessarily caused by diet.

My weekly weight loss goal was set like yours, although I'm shorter (5'), and started out heavier (256 lbs). I have 20 lbs to go, and my hair is in great shape. Don't mess around with the way you've been eating, as it seems to be working well for you. You are most likely not malnourished. In fact, your body is probably functioning better than it did when you were heavier. Good luck!

Thank you! I actually started out at 262, I might not have logged it correctly I'll check.

I live in the middle of AZ, so we haven't turned our heater on since the beginning of this year. I do like my showers to be hot, but I don't wash my hair often, maybe every 3 days?

Well hair does grow, so yeah in 6 months it's grown a little but yeah that could make it look like I've been losing more.

Also, I know it's TMI but I do take hormonal B/C, but I've never lost hair because of it. I've also never got PMS acne until the last couple of months.

So most likely hormones? Should I change my B/C?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hello guys!

I have been steadily losing an average 8-10lbs per month, give or take some binge days that slow my roll.

A problem has reared it's ugly head in the last couple of months. I think I'm shedding more hair than the usual. I had my bloodwork done for thyroid and anemia, it's all fine.

SO, question is, should I raise my deficit? It doesn't look like I'm shedding a ton, but more hair is found on my hairbrush than usual.

I am still severely overweight, and I am enjoying seeing the weight come off steadily at the same rate.

How much should I increase? I do visit a nutritionist every 3 months, my next visit is next Monday, and I'll tell her about my increased shedding of hair.

Eat more, there is no rush, but you're losing your hair!!!!
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Hello guys!

Eat more, there is no rush, but you're losing your hair!!!!

Yes, it's weird!

I guess I think it's weird to me because I wasn't losing hair when I first started. Maybe it'll be good if I drop to 1.5lbs when I hit 200.

Does anyone know what else could happen? I've tried Googling what happens when you eat below BMR but not even hair loss came up!
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have food allergies and I get acne, hair loss and mood swings, among other things from them. Just a thought.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I have food allergies and I get acne, hair loss and mood swings, among other things from them. Just a thought.

Well, this is fairly new and to my knowledge I am not allergic to food items. I heard they can develop over time, though.

Elimination diet would at least confirm or deny the existence of one, I guess. :smile:
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hair loss may not exactly be due to nutrition issues. Some other issues, such as thyroid disorders, have been known to cause this too. Have you been to the doctor lately for a physical. If you mention the hair loss and being overweight I would think that they would order basic blood work to check your thyroid. Have you had any other symptoms? The Mayo Clinic listed a few as: Fatigue, Increased sensitivity to cold,Constipation,Dry skin,Unexplained weight gain,Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods,Thinning hair,Depression, or Impaired memory. Just a thought that might help.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    Hair loss may not exactly be due to nutrition issues. Some other issues, such as thyroid disorders, have been known to cause this too. Have you been to the doctor lately for a physical. If you mention the hair loss and being overweight I would think that they would order basic blood work to check your thyroid. Have you had any other symptoms? The Mayo Clinic listed a few as: Fatigue, Increased sensitivity to cold,Constipation,Dry skin,Unexplained weight gain,Heavier than normal or irregular menstrual periods,Thinning hair,Depression, or Impaired memory. Just a thought that might help.

I did put in my Original Post that I did get bloodwork done for both Thyroid issues as well as Anemia. ^_^ They came back normal.

I have always been sensitive to cold, maybe it's because I'm an Arizonian? Constipation I blame my iron supplement, I have not gained any weight I couldn't explain. My cycle is controlled by my birth control. I don't moisturize like someone who lives in AZ should. I also have a 2YO and work full-time so fatigue is just a way of life.

Thanks for the concern, though!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough protein? if not that can lead to hair loss as well. they say .6-.8 grams per lb of bodyweight(up to 1gram if doing excessive workouts or weight lifting). I would probably boost my calorie intake a little and see if that makes a difference, give it a little while and if not it could be something else causing the hair loss. Im on BC and it doesnt cause me to lose hair. I notice I lose some right before and right after that time of the month. I also have issues with some hair loss when I dont get enough protein.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    are you getting enough protein? if not that can lead to hair loss as well. they say .6-.8 grams per lb of bodyweight(up to 1gram if doing excessive workouts or weight lifting). I would probably boost my calorie intake a little and see if that makes a difference, give it a little while and if not it could be something else causing the hair loss. Im on BC and it doesnt cause me to lose hair. I notice I lose some right before and right after that time of the month. I also have issues with some hair loss when I dont get enough protein.

I do love my meats and dairy products. I have eggs a couple times a week. I'm going to check my diary and get back to you on that.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think you can eat more...I started my weight loss at 205 and 5'3 and could eat more and still lose at a decent rate, so with your stats, you could eat more if you want.

I'd get the hair loss checked out. Could be nutritional or hormone (maybe PCOS) issue or just one of those things, but it's worth keeping an eye on. I used to have such thick hair I had to get special clips to tie it back. After my youngest son was born, it thinned considerably and has kept doing so since...knowing now that I have PCOS, my guess is that's when it got worse....I'd had diagnosed thyroid issues for many years by that point, but it's after my youngest that the rest of me really went to *kitten* :)
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    I think you can eat more...I started my weight loss at 205 and 5'3 and could eat more and still lose at a decent rate, so with your stats, you could eat more if you want.

I'd get the hair loss checked out. Could be nutritional or hormone (maybe PCOS) issue or just one of those things, but it's worth keeping an eye on. I used to have such thick hair I had to get special clips to tie it back. After my youngest son was born, it thinned considerably and has kept doing so since...knowing now that I have PCOS, my guess is that's when it got worse....I'd had diagnosed thyroid issues for many years by that point, but it's after my youngest that the rest of me really went to *kitten* :)

I don't think I was offcially diagnosed with PCOS, but at my heaviest I did develop multiple cysts on both ovaries. They are gone now. I do have excess body hair, though. My OB never said PCOS but my PP said PCOS. Sooo... I dunno, I guess just because this is sudden I'm curious if it has to do with my calorie intake, or simply because my hormones align themselves at 200 and below. I have been emotionally excessive (happy tears, mostly) but I didn't experience these things when I was at this weight before. Sooo.. it's curious.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options

Looking back at the past week, I seem to be hitting my protein pretty well. :smile:
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have not just iron levels checked but ferritin as well. I have had extremely low ferritin levels (iron levels were normal) and hair loss came along with that. Since I've added a multi vitamin with iron and taken extra iron at that Tom, it's really helped the loss.
  • ogmomma2012
    Options
    Have not just iron levels checked but ferritin as well. I have had extremely low ferritin levels (iron levels were normal) and hair loss came along with that. Since I've added a multi vitamin with iron and taken extra iron at that Tom, it's really helped the loss.

I guess I'll google, I don't know what that is.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My daughter was also losing her hair and it was a vitamin D deficiency. Are you taking a good multi-vitamin? Her doctor put her on a big dose of daily vit D and she is seeing new hair growth. Maybe have your doc check those levels as well as thyroid?
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Ferritin is your reserve for iron. So if your iron is low, it pulls from ferritin. Sorry...should have said that. It all ties together.