Counting veggies

Options
How do you count a 1 cup of mixed veggies....broccoli, onions, mushrooms, zuchinni and jalapenos... I made a soup out of it but then for dinner I measure 1 cup and drain the broth and add that to my chicken. Works really nicely! But I don't know how to measure the calories for this. Any advice?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I make veggies I weigh each out on a food scale before I cook them. I usually eat them all though, so I log whatever was weighed out.

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You create a recipe with the amounts of ingredients you use, and tell MFP the number of servings. Easy. If it's over-estimated, you'll just be a little under calories. No biggie.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    It's not really a recipe. Three broccoli florets, 3 slices of zuchinni, a few slices of onion and tomato. Made about a cup.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's not really a recipe. Three broccoli florets, 3 slices of zuchinni, a few slices of onion and tomato. Made about a cup.

That is minuscule....Anyway. Weigh your veggies before you put them in the pan.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    next time weigh it, then log it
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    40 sounds good...I'll take it!
  • arditarose
    Options

Oh boy. Good luck OP
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Just google mixed veggies, and then you will at least get a ballpark guess...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Weigh it, then log it!
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Oh boy. Good luck OP
    It really is not much. Depending on how accurate the OP becomes at counting calories, an educated guess can be the best option sometimes. I can eyeball something and guess within 50 calories the content of most foods. And when I'm unsure, I overestimate. However, I am really dedicated to logging, and I've been counting calories for nearly 20 years.

I know it is not much. I eat zucchini and squash at least 4-5 times a week. She was asking how you measure it. I was just answering that question.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Look up cooked, mixed veggies. It'll be somewhere around there.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    I calculated 150 for 1 cup. Fair enougb.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I would go with the mixed veggies...or if you know one is more calories than the other, count that one. Enjoy your veggies.

150 seems like a lot for a cup of veggies unless they are coated in oil!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Take an educated guess. Do you really want to weigh five or more different things in your salad? That is not living life.

Worry about the number of calories in mushrooms? Or onions? Really?

I weigh everything that goes into my salad because I want to be as accurate as possible. It maybe takes three minutes tops. Then again, other than lettuce/broccoli/tomatoes the rest is cheese/meat/dressing, which can easily put me over if I don't weigh them out.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Take an educated guess. Do you really want to weigh five or more different things in your salad? That is not living life.

I do, back when I used to eat lots of salads I would weigh out every single ingredient. Everything counts!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You can still use the recipe builder even though it's not a recipe. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1. Put a measuring scale next to your cutting board
    2. Put a bowl on your scale.
    3. Tare the scale
    4. Grab a tablet and pencil, bring it to the kitchen
    5. Prep your first veggie, add it to the bowl. Note the weight on the tablet. Tare the scale.
    6. Prep your second veggie, add it to the bowl. Note the weight on the tablet. Tare the scale.
    7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 as needed until all veggies in your vegetable mix are prepped.
    8. Enter your veggie mix into the MFP recipe builder, adding any oil used in cooking.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    How do you count a 1 cup of mixed veggies....broccoli, onions, mushrooms, zuchinni and jalapenos... I made a soup out of it but then for dinner I measure 1 cup and drain the broth and add that to my chicken. Works really nicely! But I don't know how to measure the calories for this. Any advice?

If they're fresh, weigh them before putting in the soup. If they are packaged, weigh and log according to the package.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Cute. :) It's not about living life, it's about accuracy and accountability. I weighed everything that went into my salad for lunch.