Low carb dieters!

Options
1181920212224»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Seriously 16 pages of arguing WITHOUT low carbers seeing the ONLY argument by the majority of CICO people is NOT that low carb is wrong, doesn't work, evil, or barbaric It DOES work, wonderfully in fact.... as long as there is a calorie deficit. End of story. Choose what you like to eat. No carbs or everything in moderation. Keep a deficit and lose weight. YAY we all win! Why do low carbers feel they are being attacked? Or feel the need to defend the OP? This is just an open discussion the problem lies in the fact that people fail to see that there is no point in arguing. Science is science. Facts are facts. A deficit ensures weight loss (medical conditions being an exception I am sure) Choose how to create your deficit and enjoy. If anyone disagrees with the deficit "theory" please track your calories, weigh and log accurately and come back in 4 months and lets see if you have in fact lost weight with NO CALORIE DEFICIT by eating low carb :)

because the butthurt is strong in MFP threads....
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Seriously 16 pages of arguing WITHOUT low carbers seeing the ONLY argument by the majority of CICO people is NOT that low carb is wrong, doesn't work, evil, or barbaric It DOES work, wonderfully in fact.... as long as there is a calorie deficit. End of story. Choose what you like to eat. No carbs or everything in moderation. Keep a deficit and lose weight. YAY we all win! Why do low carbers feel they are being attacked? Or feel the need to defend the OP? This is just an open discussion the problem lies in the fact that people fail to see that there is no point in arguing. Science is science. Facts are facts. A deficit ensures weight loss (medical conditions being an exception I am sure) Choose how to create your deficit and enjoy. If anyone disagrees with the deficit "theory" please track your calories, weigh and log accurately and come back in 4 months and lets see if you have in fact lost weight with NO CALORIE DEFICIT by eating low carb :)

because the butthurt is strong in MFP threads....

hahahahah maybe if they pulled their heads out of their butts the pain would lessen? ;)
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Loe carb isnt just meat and cheese. Your friend obviously went the same route as mine.. thinking ANYTHING low carb was a good choice. Untrue. I consume veggies, dairy, and lean meats mostly. Eggs, and only drink water. As i said.. i know my results. I tried for three years after my first child to lose weight on restricted calorie diets. I always felt hungry. I was cranky. And i barely lost weight. On low carb i lost 20lbs in two months.. incliding cheay days and skipping workouts. I sincerely respect your point of views.. but there is evidence and studies to prove both diets can help with weight loss.. so kudos to you for yours and kudos to me for mine. This is however a forum i created for people ON low carb to share their experiences.. feel free to make a low calorie forum
    You lost your audience with this statement.
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?

You're burning more DIETARY fat.
    http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/

OP since you decided not to read this study here is the conclusion …

Conclusion
    When we oxidise fatty acids we can generate ATP which can be used for energy production. In essence, this process is the fat-burning process we hear about. Taking available fat and using it up for the purposes of energy production.

Sounds good so far. So where’s the problem?

Just because we’re burning more fat, does that mean we are burning the fat that is stored in our fat tissue?

On a high-fat diet or after we eat a high-fat meal, we are going to break the triglycerides in food down to fatty acids and glycerol. We’ll then have a ton of fatty acids readily available to be used for energy production. Additionally we know that we can oxidise intramuscular triglycerides (fat stored between muscle) and fat in VLDL particles.

[Am I losing anyone? If so don’t worry, this will become clear as we go through the post. Don’t give up on me now! Power through! If you can get this, it will make a huge difference to your ability to evaluate different dietary approaches for fat loss]

So all that fat we’re burning is the fatty acids in the bloodstream. And when we eat more fat, we have more of it in the bloodstream.

Meaning, if “burning more fat” simply equates to oxidizing more fatty acids then of course we should be burning more fat when we eat more fat… there’s a whole load more of it available, right?

I mean that makes sense doesn’t it?

So yes, you could say we are “burning” more fat. But the question really is this:

What does this mean in relation to body fat levels?
    This is where things get a bit more interesting and very nuanced.

At first glance, at least from as much as I’ve been able to conclude so far from the available evidence, is that the fat we’re burning is coming from the increased fatty acids made available to us from out meals unless… yep, you guessed it, we’re in a calorie deficit.

I can’t seen evidence of any potential mechanism by which it is possible to lose body fat without having a negative energy imbalance (i.e. expenditure is higher than input). There are hypotheses of there being a “metabolic advantage” when in ketosis for example, but that’s far from accepted.

But even beyond all that, even when fat IS released from fat cells, that still doesn’t necessarily mean we are actually losing fat.

Does this mean high-fat diets have no use in a fat loss situation then? Absolutely not.

I think high-fat diets (N.B. provided carbohydrates are low) can be an excellent tool for certain people. And I’ve talked about this previously. It really does come down to the metabolic state of the individual. In those with insulin resistance and blood sugar dysregulation then a low-carb/high-fat diet (LCHF) can be therapeutic and help return some insulin sensitivity, in turn putting the person in a better position to potentially lose fat.

BUT (there’s always a but in nutrition) if we look at what actually happens in the process of fat and carbohydrate metabolism it starts to become clearer that fat loss really will be determined by caloric intake, with most other variables being equal (including protein intake, which is often forgotten about in studies).

So yes, while you burn more fat on a high-fat diet, you have more of it to burn.

This right here is where the ketogenic/LCHF diet will shine. Lets say between 6am and 7pm, I hypothetically burn 1400 calories. If my breakfast at 6am is 800 calories and is 80%fat/17%protein/3% carbs, and that 800 calories last me until 7pm, my body will have HAD to use some of my stored energy, and therefore be in a deficit. How much of that energy burnoff is from actual fat, I don't know on a molecular level, but I would have to guess that most of it is fat, as the body would first have to break down the muscle into proteins and then convert again to usable energy.

If my glycogen stores are fairly low, and my carbs at breakfast were restricted, my body has no choice but to use the food or use the fat. What if the food is digested? What if it is 3:00, and I have hit that 800 calorie burn, will I get hunger signals? Eating this way, I wont, and my body will run off of what it has until I eat again. I am in full control of eating, as my body is not as reliant on food ingestion for energy as it is while using carb-rich foods for energy. While eating carbs as a good portion of my meal, once the food is gone, I will get hunger pangs and have to eat to function.

So, yeah, we (VLC/HF eaters) have more of it to burn, but if the food we eat does not limit our activities, then we are always in a deficit. I think that was what the OP was trying to get at. She just took a more defensive stance (ironically, as it was self-initiated) and didn't really say what she was thinking in the right context.

*I would just like to add that this is why my first meal is usually not until after Noon. Like today, all I have had is HWC coffee. I woke up at 6, and it is now 2:21 Arizona time. I am still going. yeah, I can feel that my stomach is empty, but it is not painstaking. I could go out and run 3 miles if I wanted to. Hmm...now that I mention it....I think I just might!
  • IFBBRich
    IFBBRich Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    We have really strayed away from the actual topic that was supposed to be discussed. I use carb cycling when prepping for a contest however, when doing so am eating at a (Calorie Deficit) which goes along with what everyone else is saying as the reason why your losing weight.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yeah if you can find where i said that you can quote me.
    Unfortunately, what i ACTUALLY said was i struggled to lose weight on a low calorie diet alone (NOT that i didnt. I said i lost 2-3lbs). And that low carb has improved my results substantially. I also stated that my calories are indeed still low... not bc i bother to try and keep them low, but bc consuming low carb foods results in lower calories. Since my last post on here i have increased my calories by 200 a day and am still experiencing weight loss.
    All i ever said was that low carb has made a big difference in MY (me myself i) results. I do not claim it is superior. I do not claim it is for everyone. I believe different types of diets work for different people... hence why even learned scientists still cant agree on every point. To each their own! Happy fitness travels!

OP, find a new way to explain it. You obviously are not getting your message understood. I am pretty sure you mean to say that by restricting carbs, you feel full for a longer period of time, and because of that, you naturally eat less calories. Also, you mean to say that your maintenance calorie level (where intake and burn are at 100% equilibrium) is higher than you thought it was, so you are losing weight faster than before.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a ketones diet right now and loving it. I think different diets work for different people, and this works for me. I dropped 6 lbs....in my first week......all water I'm sure, but I'm still stoked. I try to only weigh once a week so we'll see if anything else has come off.

I get to eat foods that make me happy, never feel hungry, have amazing energy, and still keep a respectable caloric deficit. Just calorie counting leaves me feeling deprived and hungry.

Once I hit my goal weight I'm switching back to maintenance calorie counting and will start exercising and hopefully toning up. At the moment I'm working towards skinny flabby. End goal is fit and toned. :).

Good luck low carbers, have another egg.
  • nicologica1
    nicologica1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm on a moderate paleo diet ( lower carb intake and more while foods), on Day 20 and feeling great so far. I'm assuming to make this a permanent way of eating as the health benefits In getting from it so far are brilliant! How low so you go on carbs and do you feel better for it? It would be great to make new friends to share your paleo/lower carb diet experiences and motivate each other so feel free to add me :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Loe carb isnt just meat and cheese. Your friend obviously went the same route as mine.. thinking ANYTHING low carb was a good choice. Untrue. I consume veggies, dairy, and lean meats mostly. Eggs, and only drink water. As i said.. i know my results. I tried for three years after my first child to lose weight on restricted calorie diets. I always felt hungry. I was cranky. And i barely lost weight. On low carb i lost 20lbs in two months.. incliding cheay days and skipping workouts. I sincerely respect your point of views.. but there is evidence and studies to prove both diets can help with weight loss.. so kudos to you for yours and kudos to me for mine. This is however a forum i created for people ON low carb to share their experiences.. feel free to make a low calorie forum
    You lost your audience with this statement.
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    According to my research ketosis (the state the body enters during low carb diets) burns almost solely body fat... and since i dont restrict calories i still maintain normal energy and function levels. Have you had different experiences?

You're burning more DIETARY fat.
    http://sigmanutrition.com/eat-more-fat-burn-more-fat-myth-magic-or-metabolic-advantage/

OP since you decided not to read this study here is the conclusion …

Conclusion
    When we oxidise fatty acids we can generate ATP which can be used for energy production. In essence, this process is the fat-burning process we hear about. Taking available fat and using it up for the purposes of energy production.

Sounds good so far. So where’s the problem?

Just because we’re burning more fat, does that mean we are burning the fat that is stored in our fat tissue?

On a high-fat diet or after we eat a high-fat meal, we are going to break the triglycerides in food down to fatty acids and glycerol. We’ll then have a ton of fatty acids readily available to be used for energy production. Additionally we know that we can oxidise intramuscular triglycerides (fat stored between muscle) and fat in VLDL particles.

[Am I losing anyone? If so don’t worry, this will become clear as we go through the post. Don’t give up on me now! Power through! If you can get this, it will make a huge difference to your ability to evaluate different dietary approaches for fat loss]

So all that fat we’re burning is the fatty acids in the bloodstream. And when we eat more fat, we have more of it in the bloodstream.

Meaning, if “burning more fat” simply equates to oxidizing more fatty acids then of course we should be burning more fat when we eat more fat… there’s a whole load more of it available, right?

I mean that makes sense doesn’t it?

So yes, you could say we are “burning” more fat. But the question really is this:

What does this mean in relation to body fat levels?
    This is where things get a bit more interesting and very nuanced.

At first glance, at least from as much as I’ve been able to conclude so far from the available evidence, is that the fat we’re burning is coming from the increased fatty acids made available to us from out meals unless… yep, you guessed it, we’re in a calorie deficit.

I can’t seen evidence of any potential mechanism by which it is possible to lose body fat without having a negative energy imbalance (i.e. expenditure is higher than input). There are hypotheses of there being a “metabolic advantage” when in ketosis for example, but that’s far from accepted.

But even beyond all that, even when fat IS released from fat cells, that still doesn’t necessarily mean we are actually losing fat.

Does this mean high-fat diets have no use in a fat loss situation then? Absolutely not.

I think high-fat diets (N.B. provided carbohydrates are low) can be an excellent tool for certain people. And I’ve talked about this previously. It really does come down to the metabolic state of the individual. In those with insulin resistance and blood sugar dysregulation then a low-carb/high-fat diet (LCHF) can be therapeutic and help return some insulin sensitivity, in turn putting the person in a better position to potentially lose fat.

BUT (there’s always a but in nutrition) if we look at what actually happens in the process of fat and carbohydrate metabolism it starts to become clearer that fat loss really will be determined by caloric intake, with most other variables being equal (including protein intake, which is often forgotten about in studies).

So yes, while you burn more fat on a high-fat diet, you have more of it to burn.

This right here is where the ketogenic/LCHF diet will shine. Lets say between 6am and 7pm, I hypothetically burn 1400 calories. If my breakfast at 6am is 800 calories and is 80%fat/17%protein/3% carbs, and that 800 calories last me until 7pm, my body will have HAD to use some of my stored energy, and therefore be in a deficit. How much of that energy burnoff is from actual fat, I don't know on a molecular level, but I would have to guess that most of it is fat, as the body would first have to break down the muscle into proteins and then convert again to usable energy.

If my glycogen stores are fairly low, and my carbs at breakfast were restricted, my body has no choice but to use the food or use the fat. What if the food is digested? What if it is 3:00, and I have hit that 800 calorie burn, will I get hunger signals? Eating this way, I wont, and my body will run off of what it has until I eat again. I am in full control of eating, as my body is not as reliant on food ingestion for energy as it is while using carb-rich foods for energy. While eating carbs as a good portion of my meal, once the food is gone, I will get hunger pangs and have to eat to function.

So, yeah, we (VLC/HF eaters) have more of it to burn, but if the food we eat does not limit our activities, then we are always in a deficit. I think that was what the OP was trying to get at. She just took a more defensive stance (ironically, as it was self-initiated) and didn't really say what she was thinking in the right context.

*I would just like to add that this is why my first meal is usually not until after Noon. Like today, all I have had is HWC coffee. I woke up at 6, and it is now 2:21 Arizona time. I am still going. yeah, I can feel that my stomach is empty, but it is not painstaking. I could go out and run 3 miles if I wanted to. Hmm...now that I mention it....I think I just might!
    lol. A continual calorie deficit regardless, is what actually liberates body fat for oxidation resulting in fat and weight loss. If it helps you with your satiety, great, your a head of the game.

• RougeR93
    RougeR93 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm a clinical scientist and also a low carber.

Long story short: DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!!!

Genetics play a MASSIVE part in dietary needs and the way a person's body utilises the nutrition it is provided.

For me personally, I can eat healthy low starch carbs (eg: sweet potato, grapefruits, berries) however highly starchy carbs (eg: bananas, whole wheat bread/pasta) result in weight gain. This however is not due to the foods themselves being "bad", it's the after response my body experiences...they lead to increased sugar cravings. Because in essence carbohydrates are sugars.

I wouldn't advise asking someone's opinion in regards to diet type, seeing as we are all genetically different and having different challenges in regards to food.

So in closing, I repeat, do what works for you. If you are experiencing adverse effects (eg: weakness, constipation/diarrhoea) then of course I would suggest you alter your weight loss approach as what you are doing is neither sustainable nor healthy, and in effect not working.

Rouge
    Fellow low carber