Meal Scheduling

Options
From December 2013 to the end of February 2014, I lost just under 20 pounds.

From the end of February 2014 until the end of February 2015, I've gained 6 pounds.

I started working at my job as a personal shopper at a grocery store at the end of February 2014, and I think that's where my problems with my "diet" began. Back when I was unemployed, I had the freedom to eat- more or less- on a stable schedule.

My job does not allow that kind of stability. While my week to week schedule is relatively the same, my day-to-day schedule varies half of the time. Sundays, I work long enough to take a 30 minute break and a 15 minute break, but I rarely work that many hours Monday-Saturday. Sundays, I get off work at 9pm; Mondays I get off work at 3pm.

My break schedules are even more sporadic. Some days, if it's especially busy, I don't have a chance to take a break until near the end of my 5-7 hour shift. Other days, my break is near the middle of the shift. Try as I might, due to the time constraints with my position, I have been unable to narrow my break time(s) to even an hour window.

I suspect this is the cause of my insane morning and nighttime hunger. I wake up STARVING and end up eating everything in sight. In the same way, after work, I feel like I can't stop eating. I'm hungry soon after dinner. (Prior to getting this job, I rarely snacked between meals). I go much of the working day hungry- not knowing when I'm going to get a chance to eat again (I've gone until 3pm without eating anything on several occasions), and I wonder if this is subconsciously leading to overeating when I'm at home or on my (only) day off.

I've tried keeping snacks (squished Larabars, packs of nuts) in my pockets, but I really disliked doing that. Not only does it take prime real estate in my pockets (I also carry around Sharpies and my phone- occasionally, I also need to keep my keys in my pocket.

Plus, every time I try to take a bite of food while working, a customer seems to show up to ask a question. It makes for some very awkward moments. I have semi-successfully had smoothies and Synergy Kombucha while working. I may even be able to deal with pureed-soups in a thermos, but solid food? Not so much.

I know that if I can get myself on some kind of schedule with my eating, it will be a lot easier to stay on track (should I decide to start counting Points or Calories again). I've been trying to combat this by trying to sleep until the last minute and eating breakfast right before I rush out the door (meaning my sleep schedule is also very sporadic), but I wonder if eating meals around the same time every day would be better for me.

Replies

• mistycoco6
    mistycoco6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I try to carry little snacks to help curb hunger :#
  • chris2365
    chris2365 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think you probably answered your own question. While some people do very well eating on a more erratic schedule, you may have found that having a consistent predictable schedule is best for your body (and mind!). I don't know how you can get there with your work schedule, but you may just have to set some alarms on your phone or watch and eat on schedule, regardless of whether you have a customer there or not. There are plenty of other options besides nuts or bars, but they all require some compromise.

Basically I'm saying that instead of fighting what your body and mind is asking for, keep looking to find a way to meet those needs - be kind to yourself if you can. Good luck!
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    chris2365 wrote: »
    I think you probably answered your own question. While some people do very well eating on a more erratic schedule, you may have found that having a consistent predictable schedule is best for your body (and mind!). I don't know how you can get there with your work schedule, but you may just have to set some alarms on your phone or watch and eat on schedule, regardless of whether you have a customer there or not. There are plenty of other options besides nuts or bars, but they all require some compromise.

Basically I'm saying that instead of fighting what your body and mind is asking for, keep looking to find a way to meet those needs - be kind to yourself if you can. Good luck!

Unfortunately, due to the nature of my job, I can't exactly ignore the customers- not without getting in trouble at least. And since, technically, eating on the clock isn't allowed, customer complaints could get me in trouble. (Eating on the clock is usually ignored by management, but it won't be if a customer complains).

Of course, there's also the issue that even though I know I do better with a consistent eating schedule (eating every 3-5 hours or so most days a week), I can also get to points where it really messes me up if something throws me off my normal eating rhythm.

I need the stability of a schedule, but I also need the flexibility to not be overwhelmed in the events that I can't stay on my schedule.

The only meal that's semi consistent from day to day is dinner- usually started between 6pm and 8pm (or at leas the 8 o'clock hour).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I work in retail also, and during the week I usually get a lot of 11-5 or 12-6 shifts where I only get two 15-minute breaks. I'll just a lot beforehand, splitting it into two meals. It's worse when I go to school right after, as then I have to fit a snack in there too and can go 10 hours without a meal.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    You said you've had some limited success with smoothies. Can you experiment with that concept? I'm totally not a fan of meal replacement shakes (I'd much prefer to eat real food), but that would at least put some calories/nutrients in you, and you could drink it with a straw, on a schedule. I have soup for lunch almost every day. Some soups would work well in a cup at room temp with a straw, too. E.g. Cook broccoli in chicken stock with garlic and purée. Chia seeds (packed with fiber and protein) are lovely in this soup. Can do essentially the same with cauliflower and a couple chickpeas thrown in. A good, rich, homemade chicken stock alone can do wonders. Good luck. This is a tough situation and I feel for you!
  • ftsolk
    Options
    malib927 wrote: »
    I work in retail also, and during the week I usually get a lot of 11-5 or 12-6 shifts where I only get two 15-minute breaks. I'll just a lot beforehand, splitting it into two meals. It's worse when I go to school right after, as then I have to fit a snack in there too and can go 10 hours without a meal.

Those are my shifts most days, but I only get one break.
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    You said you've had some limited success with smoothies. Can you experiment with that concept? I'm totally not a fan of meal replacement shakes (I'd much prefer to eat real food), but that would at least put some calories/nutrients in you, and you could drink it with a straw, on a schedule. I have soup for lunch almost every day. Some soups would work well in a cup at room temp with a straw, too. E.g. Cook broccoli in chicken stock with garlic and purée. Chia seeds (packed with fiber and protein) are lovely in this soup. Can do essentially the same with cauliflower and a couple chickpeas thrown in. A good, rich, homemade chicken stock alone can do wonders. Good luck. This is a tough situation and I feel for you!

My smoothies are usually fruit, veggies, nuts/seeds, greek yogurt, and milk. I am condidering the idea of pureed vegetable soups in thermos as well. I just need a good thermos (16-20 oz) that will keep things hot or cold for a few hours. My lunch thermos won't really work for beverages on the go.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I work a job where the opportunity to eat is erratic and not always possible. I work 12 hour shifts that can be hit or miss with lots of jobs. Like last night I had 4, but the other night I had 11 (not sure who we pissed off lol). We can "request" a break, but if they have a job near where you are, you can bet they will ask if you can respond.

What I do is keep food that is easy to eat, and quick to eat. I have a cooler I bring with me to work and if need be, will literally eat on my way to a job. Honestly- where there is a will, there is a way.
  • ftsolk
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I work a job where the opportunity to eat is erratic and not always possible. I work 12 hour shifts that can be hit or miss with lots of jobs. Like last night I had 4, but the other night I had 11 (not sure who we pissed off lol). We can "request" a break, but if they have a job near where you are, you can bet they will ask if you can respond.

What I do is keep food that is easy to eat, and quick to eat. I have a cooler I bring with me to work and if need be, will literally eat on my way to a job. Honestly- where there is a will, there is a way.

I am on my feet the entire time at my job, and I don't really have a place where I can keep a cooler that's easily accessible. On a busy day, it can take me 2 hours to eat a squished Larabar because I'm trying to shop orders, answer (stupid) customer questions (someone was pointing at the Fat free milk wondering where the skim milk was yesterday), and push a shopping cart. I rarely get a chance to breathe between rushing around to finish orders.