weight loss stall ??

Options
How many days/ weeks/ months of not losing another pound does it take to accept the lull is officially a stall and you need to make adjustments? Could have used more stalls in that sentence...

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    The first thing to do is check your logging. Are you weighing, measuring and logging everything that goes in your mouth? Also, has anything else changed, increased exercise for example.

I think if you've given it several weeks and you know there are no other possible reasons, try dropping your cals a bit for a few weeks and see what happens. Alternatively play around with your macros. For me, I have PCOS, which means carbs can be an issue. I had a stall a few weeks in, gave it some time then dropped my carbs a bit (not tons, I'd call my carb intake moderate) and hey presto, the scales started moving down again.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    a plateau is 6-8 weeks+ of no movement providing you are logging accurately

check the logging accurately sticky
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what rabbit said. I tend to look at what im doing and analyse any slowdown over several weeks and see if it matches up. The first presumption is that you have somehow got to a position where your calories consumed matches calories burned and you are at maintenance. Investigate.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! I log and measure my food diligently but I dont weigh it. Based on your words alone I think im having a premature freak out. Basically I'm 20 days in and lost 14 pounds of water weight and maybe some fat in the first 12 days. Then nothing for 8 days despite a 7000 calorie a week deficit based on my bmr. Ive never been able to stick with it for longer than two weeks so im heading into the unknown.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Search BMR and TDEE here - you probably meant TDEE on your 7000 calorie deficit.
    An average of 7 lbs loss over the last two weeks does not a plateau make.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Search BMR and TDEE here - you probably meant TDEE on your 7000 calorie deficit.
    An average of 7 lbs loss over the last two weeks does not a plateau make.

Thanks! It seems my calorie intake may be too low. MFP set it at 1200. Then I read an article that said if im not weighing my food- more than likely im eating 10 percent more than I think I am. So I aim to eat 10 percent less. (No i dont belive everything i read, but desperate times, ya know?)
    Do I eat 20 or 25 percent below my TDEE? And why are there different results for TDEE if done on a calc outside MFP?
    I thought I had a handle on the numbers game for downsizing my a** but now im not so sure...
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    February was a bust for me. Of eight PT sessions scheduled, I missed two because I was sick, and one because of the weather (it was made up this month). Plus the unusual cold, snow, ice, etc. in North Carolina served as an aphrodisiac to hibernating. I stayed under my calories, but still gained a pound. In less than a week this month, I've lost over a pound.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If I don't lose weight within a week, my assumption is that I ate too much that week. Sure, it could be water retention for some reason, but it rarely is.