Carbs

Options
katiejanecollins
katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
MFP allows me to have 200g of carbs a day, this seems like a lot? Am I better to aim for 100-150? Don't want to lose tons of weight, but a few lbs wouldn't hurt.

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue such as PCOS that level should be fine, but ultimately it's up to you. Remember, a lot of your carbs will come from fruit and vege, it's not just bread, pasta, potatoes etc. I eat around 100g of carbs a day (b/c of PCOS), and that's pretty much all coming from fruit and vege.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP allows me to have 200g of carbs a day, this seems like a lot? Am I better to aim for 100-150? Don't want to lose tons of weight, but a few lbs wouldn't hurt.

Carbs don't make you fat, too many calories do, but eat however you feel is best for you.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's no need to restrict carbs to lose weight. If you do cut them, you will lose weight as you are eating less calories and creating a bigger deficit.

If you prefer to eat this way then fine, but make sure you add in more fat and/or protein to make sure you still reach your calorie goal.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I might cut down but mainly because they're making me so bloated and it's horrible!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Seems to work best for me eating about 30-40% of my calories from carbs....in terms of both weight loss as well as controlling hunger. And this seems to be enough to fuel around 40k of running each week plus some cycling, squash, gym etc.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This link is very useful for setting up your macros...

Protein, which is required for muscle retention/growth
    Fat, which is required for healthy body functions
    Carbs, which provide energy
    Alcohol, which provides for embarrassing photos

...optimally.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1