just called a strength training gym....

Options
there is a really good strength training gym in the next town over from me, and now that finances allow it, i can finally get membership. I just called the gym to ask about joining, and a very nice gentleman on the phone (sounded quite elderly) said that this probably wasn't for me and why don't I drop by one evening as they run classes for ladies :-)

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What did you say your goals were? It'd probably be better if you pop in and speak with one of the trainers to see what would suit you best.
  • stevenie1234
    Options
    Find a different one. That is antiquated thinking. One thing with barbell strength training is you'll want a good personal or small group trainer that can give you attention because form is key. Weightlifting is what really changed my body from around 200 lbs to 135 (give or take, I'm yo-yoing a bit ATM). If you find the right gym with supportive people you will love it! Look for a trainer who is either sports and conditioning or (best bet) an olympic weightlifting trainer.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't bother saying strength training was what I was specifically after - im still going to go along so will get everything sorted in person. The guy on the phone could have been just the 'phone guy' rather than a trainer. I was not offended at all, but it makes me smile whenever I run into stereotypical type thinking. I have done a fair bit of 'boy' sports (boxing etc) and growing up I never really considered whether things were gender specific, I just did what I fancied. I found other people opinions strange!
    -
    stevenie - that is a fantastic weightloss - congratulations :-)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol they should probably not let that guy answer the phones.
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go show them they are wrong!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What did you say your goals were? It'd probably be better if you pop in and speak with one of the trainers to see what would suit you best.

She doesn't have to state what her goals are. That guy is an insulting moron and deserves to get fired. The OP should call management, tell them what happened and ask if the have a No Women policy. She can use that angle to get a free month membership to check out the gym before committing. That was she can make sure the gym isn't owned and run by misogynistic dbags before committing long term.

I'm assuming there's not an equally nice option nearby? Because I would just sign up there and send a letter to management of the other gym explaining why they lost my business. If there's not then go with my previous plan.