The Last 10 Pounds

Options
I was just wondering... if the last 10 pounds are always the hardest to lose, would it help if you set bigger goals? ie: if you want to lose 50 lbs. make your goal 60 lbs... but it's probably a mental thing and your brain will know... I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this.

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For me the last 10 was harder because it was already a healthy weight, just the high end. When you're already at a healthy weight, your calorie deficit is reduced in such a way that the amount between deficit and maintenance is a real fine line. Reducing my goal 10 more would have put me on the lower end of healthy and then the last 20 would have been hard.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whatever you did worked great... what a difference in the before and after pic... great job!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It wasn't the 'hardest' for me. I found that being very accurate in logging (food scale at home and work) got me there, though the end was slower to lose 10 than in the beginning.

It is the hardest, in general (IMO) because at the end you have a smaller burn rate, and thus a smaller deficit. So the fact that we're human/imperfect and we are likely to make errors (overestimating burns, underestimating calories in) is more likely to eat up the deficit, slow progress.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yea Staci, I can see that... the same workout you did at a heavier weight now uses less energy because you are moving less weight... makes sense... so I'm thinking you either have to increase the time or the intensity of the workouts... or for strength training increase the weight... we used to say in Cycling, "It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster."