Favorite Meal Replacement Shakes?

Options
I just ran out of my Advocare meal replacement shakes and I'm looking to find a new shake to drink for breakfast and occasionally lunch on busy days. The Advocare shakes are fine, but I'm looking for something that doesn't come in single serve packs and maybe has better flavor varieties. Does anyone have suggestions for what I should try next?

(The more affordable the better, because I'm a broke graduate student.)

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You know what's affordable? Eating food instead of replacing it with overpriced shakes. Why do you need meal replacement shakes?
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to eat actual food in the morning, I need time to wake up... So my go-to answer lately is a scoop of slimfast, a cup of milk, and a half cup of frozen fruits blended in my smoothie blender. Bonus of that is when I get to work, I clean my smoothie cup and it becomes my water bottle for the day haha :) The smoothie, plus my mid-morning banana comes to 402 cals and it does me fine until lunch rolls around and I am ready to eat something solid and a bit heavier.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Banana and a glass of milk are good to grab on a busy morning!

But as far as shakes go, Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey mixed with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you can mix it with whatever-but it tastes really good that way) is my usual go-to when I don't have time to make real food. I like the chocolate flavor. I am not familiar with Advocare but I looked at the website and I think the macros are fairly similar. Oats & Whey is pretty cheap, less than $2 a serving, sometimes I can get if for close to a $1 per serving ($26/tub) on Amazon or at the vitamin shoppe. It comes in a big tub, not single serving, mixes easily, but your last few sips might be a tad gritty due to the oats, but not too bad.

• amysteph1
    amysteph1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the GNC Lean25 replacement shake. I found it at Sam's Club for half the price! ($23) They only carry Chocolate but, it's great! I add 2 scoops of the Lean25, 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal, ice & half of a banana for breakfast. It's so filling & the Lean25 has all the daily vitamins.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I like to blend two slices of pepperoni pizza with half a quart of cookies and cream ice cream, that's about the only meal replacement shake I could recommend. Then again, I'd rather just eat the pizza and ice cream sans blender, but that's me.

In short, save your money, those shakes are a scam.

Rigger
  • Maria_Everett
    Options
    I really don't get why some people are so rude. If you don't have anything nice to say just don't say noting at all. Maybe I should not write this post either... Sorry:) anyway I do shakes in the morning too bc I can drink it on a way to work. morning are alway crazy in my house with kids and trying to get to school on time lol it's just convenient:) I do advocare now but I did slim fast and jillian michaels before.
  • bbyblu82
    bbyblu82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Isagenix shakes are healthy and taste awesome.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Shoppe has a decent whey, but for the taste I go for Jay Robb egg white protein..it's my go to when I'm rushed or mid day snack
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like Core Power drinks or using my flavored whey from ON or Muscle Pharm to make high protein pancake and waffles, really filling and low on cal when done right :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like chewing my food.
  • rldarda
    rldarda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some people here are disparaging the shakes, but they do make a good breakfast on the go and can help people reach their nutrition goals. I recently started making protein shakes since I'm on a high protein diet and have a hard time reaching my goal, and I'm trying to figure out which one works for me regarding price, flavor, and amount of protein and calories.

However, I agree that many of the pre-made shakes likely aren't worth it for the money, and you have to watch the ingredients in them. I'd recommend looking at some of the protein powders (though watch out for bad ingredients there too) since it's pretty easy to blend your own shakes at home with a single serving blender. I make them with plain Greek yogurt and milk, and sometimes with other add-ins like peanut butter, banana, frozen fruit, etc. It's a couple extra steps, including cleanup, but they and the blender would be worth it if you can do it.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Some people don't have time or don't feel like eating a meal. So they might prefer to have a shake instead. I don't see the problem.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some people don't have time or don't feel like eating a meal. So they might prefer to have a shake instead. I don't see the problem.
    I agree... for me, I enjoy a protein shake mid day the sweetness and low calories keep me accountable and sometimes I freeze them to make my "ice cream"

Anyways I like perfect fit protein from the tone it up girls. I've had vanilla.and chocolate and I love vanilla
  • thoyle2015
    thoyle2015 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why some people are so rude. If you don't have anything nice to say just don't say noting at all. Maybe I should not write this post either... Sorry:) anyway I do shakes in the morning too bc I can drink it on a way to work. morning are alway crazy in my house with kids and trying to get to school on time lol it's just convenient:) I do advocare now but I did slim fast and jillian michaels before.

I agree with the above! If you don't like shakes for meals then don't comment. So people can't Handle food in the am, some are busy to grab lunch, some just prefer shakes. I'm flipping herbalife shakes for breakfast because I don't have time to make breakfast and I can't handle food in the am. Sometimes I'll make one to go for lunch too. Cookies and cream and pumpkin spice are good flavors
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Quest bars...freakin crack
  • stephaniejoy01274
    Options
    I just started Herbalife. Loving it so far! How many times do you drink the shakes? I just mixed two shakes into one and had it for breakfast. Then a mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and a light dinner. My coach recommended that. Curious to see how yall are doing it though!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I like to eat, and then drink, and then jump up and down.
  • crazybraziliancook
    crazybraziliancook Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started Herbalife. Loving it so far! How many times do you drink the shakes? I just mixed two shakes into one and had it for breakfast. Then a mid morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack and a light dinner. My coach recommended that. Curious to see how yall are doing it though!

I'm on Herbalife too and eating foods using this app. I stay within my nutrition goals and
    I'm losing weight . My shakes are yummy =)
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    I've been getting my protein powder (whey protein) from the gym, although down the road I will look for a comparable (and maybe cheaper) alternative. I LOVE it! it easily enables me to hit my protein goals and when mixed in a blender with milk, ice and olive oil (you don't taste it), tastes JUST like a chocolate milk shake! It actually feels like a "treat" each morning.