Mason Jar salad

Options
That1Chick_Brit
That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
Does anyone ever make those mason jar salads? If so what is your favorite one to make?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've looked at them, but I wonder if I'd enjoy them since I really enjoy my salads in a shallow container so there's more mixing.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    I like the idea of the jar. Its easier to shake it to mix everything around. When I usually make salad in a shallow bowl, its one with a lid anyway. I find that shaking it rather than mixing it, gets the dressing more evenly distributed, so I can use a bit less.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like the idea of the jar. Its easier to shake it to mix everything around. When I usually make salad in a shallow bowl, its one with a lid anyway. I find that shaking it rather than mixing it, gets the dressing more evenly distributed, so I can use a bit less.
    Hmm. I guess I will pass. Jars are small. Mine would be packed and probably wouldn't mix well.
    I do love salads though!
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've looked at them, but I wonder if I'd enjoy them since I really enjoy my salads in a shallow container so there's more mixing.

You're supposed to shake them up in the jar and dump onto a plate.. then I guess mix more if you want. They are very convenient to bring to work.. just a jar, plate and fork.

One of my favorites is Turkey, Sun-dried Tomatoes, & Chickpea Salad:

http://www.organizeyourselfskinny.com/2014/11/06/turkey-sun-dried-tomatoes-chickpea-mason-jar-salad/
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I regularly take to work. Generally I start with oil and vinegar, then tomato, then "power greens", nuts or seeds on top.
  • fineroasted66
    Options
    Hmm. I guess I will pass. Jars are small. Mine would be packed and probably wouldn't mix well.
    I do love salads though!

• fineroasted66
    Options
    Hi vomckey, I love the salad jar idea! I went to the web site & I plan to use the recipe as a basis for variations. Thanks!
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Putting this one on my list.. Will sub home cooked beans for canned.

Also, I use an up cycled large pasta sauce jar instead of Mason jar.

https://bakebroilandblog.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/mason-jar-southwest-chopped-salad/
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    thanks for the info and good idea with the pasta sauce jar!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info and good idea with the pasta sauce jar!

agree SO many varieties I've seen lately... it was awhile before I realized you dumped the jar on a plate or in a bowl to eat it. LOL :blush: Was wondering why it was so popular when to me it seemed awkward picturing eating it out of a jar. But then I caught on. :p Haven't tried one but they do look tasty...but I like most any salad, these look cool in the jar. :)
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    LOVE mason jar salads and have been eating them for over a year now. I use quart jars and make 4 -5 at once. When I serve them for lunch I take the lettuce off the top and put it on my plate. I give a few minutes so the dressing warms up to room temp, then I shake the jar to mix it with the veggies, protein, etc... Then dump it on the lettuce.

I like these combos;

Greek: vinaigrette, peppers, cucumber, cherry toms, olives, chicken, feta, lettuce
    Taco: ranch, carrots, peppers, cabbage, taco beef, lettuce, maybe avocado on the side
    Tuna nicoise: ceasar, veggies, olives, tuna, potato, hard boiled egg sliced, lettuce
    Blue: vinaigrette, carrots, celery, cucumbers, crumbled beef, blue cheese, lettuce
    Asian: asian vin, carrots, celery, peppers, cabbage, chicken, lettuce
  • joeymarszalek
    joeymarszalek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    4mrt2y6m6tff.jpg

i've started to jar everything i take out of the house.. this week's specials incclude a cucumber/radish with poppy seed dressing, cucumber/chive with sour cream, pepper & corn with lime vinaigrette, and a cabbage/tomato/cucumber medley.
  • Hearts_2015
    edited April 2015
    Options

I've started to jar everything i take out of the house.. this week's specials include a cucumber/radish with poppy seed dressing, cucumber/chive with sour cream, pepper & corn with lime vinaigrette, and a cabbage/tomato/cucumber medley.

Love a good photo...I have a pretty good imagination but always love photos when someone is explaining their method. Great work...I think this type of planning ahead makes ALL the difference in the world in regards to our success!

BTW... @joeymarszalek did you resize your photo...if so how does one do that? I quoted you and ended up with a giant photo so decided to delete the code/photo so it didn't take over the thread. lol

I know it's ongoing issue but some have shared if they alter the size it won't do that. Can anyone share with me how that's done? I think I just need my brain rattled to remember, I likely know how to do it but for the life of me can't think at the moment. lol

TIA
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    LOVE mason jar salads and have been eating them for over a year now. I use quart jars and make 4 -5 at once. When I serve them for lunch I take the lettuce off the top and put it on my plate. I give a few minutes so the dressing warms up to room temp, then I shake the jar to mix it with the veggies, protein, etc... Then dump it on the lettuce.

I like these combos;

Greek: vinaigrette, peppers, cucumber, cherry toms, olives, chicken, feta, lettuce
    Taco: ranch, carrots, peppers, cabbage, taco beef, lettuce, maybe avocado on the side
    Tuna nicoise: ceasar, veggies, olives, tuna, potato, hard boiled egg sliced, lettuce
    Blue: vinaigrette, carrots, celery, cucumbers, crumbled beef, blue cheese, lettuce
    Asian: asian vin, carrots, celery, peppers, cabbage, chicken, lettuce

Love the share! Thanks :)
  • joeymarszalek
    joeymarszalek Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I've started to jar everything i take out of the house.. this week's specials include a cucumber/radish with poppy seed dressing, cucumber/chive with sour cream, pepper & corn with lime vinaigrette, and a cabbage/tomato/cucumber medley.

Love a good photo...I have a pretty good imagination but always love photos when someone is explaining their method. Great work...I think this type of planning ahead makes ALL the difference in the world in regards to our success!

BTW... @joeymarszalek did you resize your photo...if so how does one do that? I quoted you and ended up with a giant photo so decided to delete the code/photo so it didn't take over the thread. lol

I know it's ongoing issue but some have shared if they alter the size it won't do that. Can anyone share with me how that's done? I think I just need my brain rattled to remember, I likely know how to do it but for the life of me can't think at the moment. lol

TIA

nope, no resizing... i just dragged and dropped the photo.. maybe thats why you got the super huge one? there's text underneath it saying its been resized to fit the page.

planning is definitely key but i think a willingness to live outside the box is good too... I'm part of the younger crowd at work so the jars scream hipster, but this healthy, so i think i can live with that, haha
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I make a bunch of jar salads at a time and keep them in the fridge for whenever I want one over the next week. You need to pack them pretty tight - that's what keeps them fresh. Also, something about storing in glass over plastic, although it obviously doesn't have to be a Mason jar. I don't add dressing to the jar - I add it just prior to eating.