Daily allowance of 1130 seems lower than everyone else. Anybody else similar?

Options
Hi
I'm from the UK and want to lose about 9lbs. I put that I wanted to lose 1 lb a week which seems very doable.
I am now on the 7th day and whilst overall I have managed over the week to keep within my allowance on a daily basis I only stay under on days I am excising.
It just seems that my allowance seems low compared to all other comments I have seen on the forums. Wondering if I have gone wrong somewhere.
If nothing else I guess it will make me excericse more which can't be a bad thing.
Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Reset your goal on the website to half a pound a week, since you don't have much to lose. MFP on iOS is giving goals below 1200 calories, which is the bottom it should be.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I read yesterday that there were app issues and a lot of people were given calorie goals below 1200 (SO unhealthy). If you can log onto the browser it would probably be able to change it there.

But since you only want to lose 9 pounds, I think losing 1/2 pound a week would probably be the way to go.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie allowance calculator is really b0rked right now. Use the one you get via the website from a computer, rather than on your phone or tablet.

1lb a week is also way too fast with only 9lbs to lose. When you re-enter stuff, I'd suggest .5lbs/week. You can eat under that and know you'll likely lose a bit more, but since calorie counting can never be 100% accurate it's less discouraging to think you're eating so little and not losing as fast as you like.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you I really appreciate your advice. What a great site.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think you have found a glitch in the system as you should NEVER be allocated less than 1200 a day... As others have said set your goal to half a pound a week and lightly active, then log any exercise cals and eat back half of them... Give it 4 weeks and then adjust if you aren't seeing any progress. Try to log as accurately as you can by weighing and measuring your food. Good luck Jules x
  • lisafrancis888
    Options
    I will get today over with which is the full week and then reset tonight on my computer. Will put in .5 as suggested. With my exercise plan this will hopefully be a little more anyway. I calorie counted many years ago and hated it but have to say MFP is really making me understand the relationship between food intake and exercise. It's also made me realise I need to up my protein and be careful with the carbs.
  • trishac333
    trishac333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The goals are set using your current body weight and your normal level of activity without exercise. Keep in mind, this is NET calories. I am at 1100 for 2 lbs/week. However, I need more calories, the more calories I burn. On days that I burn 700 calories, that brings my allowance up to 1800. Your first comment says that you stay under goal when you work out, make sure you are eating enough to accommodate your needs on those days.
  • trishac333
    trishac333 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, my calorie goals come from Beach Body's 21 day fix program, not this site. If you want to share your weight (or message me), I can tell you what that calculation is. I would also need to know if you have a desk job, partially on your feet all day job (retail, nurse, etc) or very active job.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use this to calculate my calories and macros http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ My best friend uses it too (as do many of the people on the message boards). She about 5'1" and 100 lbs and her calories are set for 1400+ per day.
  • emipunk1
    emipunk1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm from the UK and want to lose about 9lbs. I put that I wanted to lose 1 lb a week which seems very doable.
    I am now on the 7th day and whilst overall I have managed over the week to keep within my allowance on a daily basis I only stay under on days I am excising.
    It just seems that my allowance seems low compared to all other comments I have seen on the forums. Wondering if I have gone wrong somewhere.
    If nothing else I guess it will make me excericse more which can't be a bad thing.
    Thanks

Mine is 1000 so i understand
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    emipunk1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

@emipunk1‌ you need to reset yours too, as noted above MFP has rolled out a bug that f****ed up the calorie guidelines it spits out. You should not be eating less than 1200. They say "we're working on it," but they haven't done anything to warn people in the meantime and don't seem too concerned. But less than 1200 a day is not healthy and you need to reset it.
  • emipunk1
    emipunk1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

@emipunk1‌ you need to reset yours too, as noted above MFP has rolled out a bug that f****ed up the calorie guidelines it spits out. You should not be eating less than 1200. They say "we're working on it," but they haven't done anything to warn people in the meantime and don't seem too concerned. But less than 1200 a day is not healthy and you need to reset it.

No i actually set mine to 1000
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use this to calculate my calories and macros http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ My best friend uses it too (as do many of the people on the message boards). She about 5'1" and 100 lbs and her calories are set for 1400+ per day.

Is that for weight loss or maintainence? Asking because I am pretty small and would love to be able to eat 1400 and still lose!
  • lisafrancis888
    Options
    I reset to .5 lb a week and I am now on 1380. This feels far more in a comfortable range for me. I hope that with the extra excercise I will lose nearer a lb anyway, thanks everyone.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

No i actually set mine to 1000

Whaaaa? Why?