looking for a GPS watch and a heart rate sensor, any suggestions?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »
    sdado1013 wrote: »
    the fitbit Charge HR does steps and HR and if you don't mind bringing your phone with you, you can connect it to your phone and get GPS that way. the Charge HR is $150

Yeah but I'm sure the accuracy of the phone will be about as reliable as the running apps

Turn your phone on GPS navigation when you're going somewhere in your car and see how well it matches where you are vs. where it thinks you are. If it occasionally loses GPS signal or doesn't give you navigation prompts at the correct time I wouldn't use it to track running. I know this from experience.

// I hate my phone's GPS abilities.

GPS phone accuracy is terrible. Certainly not good enough for running tracking. I get 10% - 30% error. That is huge!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    I have an old Garmin forerunner 305 with heart rate monitor. It works great. I see a used one on amazon for $55.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    I've looked at all suggested, and others I've found. All have pros and cons, good and.bad reviews. I just need to bite the bullet and try one.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    I'd go with a Garmin. I currently have the 410, and I also used to have the 405. Both are discontinued, and you can likely find them for cheap. The forerunner 10 and 15 are both under $150 (retail price). Personally, I'd skip the heart rate monitor and put the money towards getting a nicer watch. One of my watches came with a heart rate monitor, and I very rarely use it.

Be sure to look at DC Rainmaker's reviews before buying. His reviews are very in-depth and helpful. You'll be able to get a better sense of what features are important to you.
    dcrainmaker.com/
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    I bought the Garmin 910XT on a super special in Australia, it was around $300 including HRM. It is multi mode though (swimming, cycling as well) for tri training.

The HRM which came with it also syncs well with my Android phone.
  • Robbnva
    I'd go with a Garmin. I currently have the 410, and I also used to have the 405. Both are discontinued, and you can likely find them for cheap. The forerunner 10 and 15 are both under $150 (retail price). Personally, I'd skip the heart rate monitor and put the money towards getting a nicer watch. One of my watches came with a heart rate monitor, and I very rarely use it.

Be sure to look at DC Rainmaker's reviews before buying. His reviews are very in-depth and helpful. You'll be able to get a better sense of what features are important to you.
    dcrainmaker.com/

Yeah I've been combing the site. But if I don't use a hrm, I won't know my calories burned...
  • Robbnva
    The m400 looks good, the TomTom runner is a good cheaper alternative. Both were 2014 picks by dcrainmaker
  • midnight419
    edited March 2015

Yeah I've been combing the site. But if I don't use a hrm, I won't know my calories burned...

The watch calculates calories burned. For me, there's a very negligible different between the calorie estimates calculated with and without the HRM.

6on1jww1pa88.png
    wy8jqd9gzo59.png

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

dcrainmaker.com/

HRMs are not all that accurate for calorie estimation either.
  • Robbnva

dcrainmaker.com/

HRMs are not all that accurate for calorie estimation either.

Good point. Plus I.guess I.can wear my current heart rate watch/monitor when I run, 2 watches lol

OK back to do more research. I still sort of like the m400
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Garmin. Suuntu. And of course, the iWatch is coming in a few days.
  • Mr_Knight

The watch calculates calories burned. For me, there's a very negligible different between the calorie estimates calculated with and without the HRM.

6on1jww1pa88.png
    wy8jqd9gzo59.png

Just out of curiosity, are you right around either 135 or 155 pounds?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Now spring is around the corner I'm going to get back into jogging, will probably jog 3x a week and walk on other days, maybe a class or 2 at the gym but mainly used for jogging.

An HRM isn't going to do much for you that the standard equation doesn't already do...

body weight in pounds * miles run * 0.65 -> calories burned running

I love GPS tracking on account of being a Strava junkie, but I just toss my phone in my pocket for that. :drinker:
  • Robbnva
    Is strava good? Just downloaded it
  • midnight419
    edited March 2015
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

6on1jww1pa88.png
    wy8jqd9gzo59.png
    No, I'm about 115 lbs.
  • Robbnva
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Garmin. Suuntu. And of course, the iWatch is coming in a few days.

Suuntu is pricy, what garmin would you recommend?
  • midnight419
    edited March 2015
    Whoops - double post.
  • Robbnva
    I do like the look of the suuntu though
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited March 2015

6on1jww1pa88.png
    wy8jqd9gzo59.png
    No, I'm about 115 lbs.

It looks like your GPS is reporting closer to gross calories burned ... not net from exercise.
  • Robbnva
    Still leaning the m400, since it can be used as a step counter like a fitbit.

Idk if I'm going to be a die hard runner but I like it more than anything else I do for exercise, so.I'd like a decent watch.