How to tell if sports bra fits properly?

Options
I received my first sports bra today. it feels comfortable but i'm a bit sure on if the cup size is right? is it suppose to feel tight at the front or not?

Need some tips on knowing whether it is correct.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »
    I received my first sports bra today. it feels comfortable but i'm a bit sure on if the cup size is right? is it suppose to feel tight at the front or not?

Need some tips on knowing whether it is correct.

I really have no clue. As long as mine are comfortable and keep the girls from jiggling all over the place, I'm good. I don't really wear them out in public too much (other than gym or running) so comfort and support is all that matters to me in a sports bra.
  • tjcuipylo
    tjcuipylo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    They're meant to keep you in place when you're being active so it all depends on what is comfortable for you. :) If being a little tighter helps things feel less bouncy and painful then that might be good, but if you feel like your suffocating, maybe a little bigger would be best. I personally don't have much to keep in place, but I like the tighter fit. At the end of the day, it's what feels best for you!
  • cpink1022
    cpink1022 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found this website that explains how sports bras should fit and all that.

http://m.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/sports-bras.html

I couldn't have said it any better then this#
    • It should fit slightly tighter than a regular bra, but not so tight that you can't comfortably take a deep breath with the bra fastened on the middle hook.
    • There should be no chafing around the armholes, shoulder straps or seams. If the sports bra has hooks or snaps, make sure those don't chafe, either.
    • The straps shouldn't dig into your shoulders.
      To make sure you have the right size, raise your hands over your head. If the elastic band moves up your rib cage, you need a smaller band or the straps may need to be adjusted.
    • The cup fabric should be smooth. Wrinkles or puckers indicate the cup is too big.
      Test the bra's support by jumping or running in place. You'll be able to feel whether it's sufficiently supportive or not.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If it takes you 10 minutes to wrestle yourself out of it, it fits! :laugh:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Make sure the band size is tight enough. If it's too loose, it'll slip and ride up and, not only will you have no support, but you'll also have uncomfortable chafing.

To tell if the cup size is right, try doing some exercises like jumping jacks or jogging and see if the girls bounce around. If they stay put, you're fine. If you're still bouncing, the cup size might be too big (or you might need a bra with more support). If you're spilling out the top and sides, the cup size might be too small.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You gotta do the jump test.

Put the bra on, stand in front of a mirror, jump up and down, see how much the jubblies bounce. They shouldn't really move much at all, and it should be tighter than a normal bra, because the idea is they're compressed to minimise movement in all directions.

Odds are if you're a biggish cup size, they aren't going to be totally immobile (that'd be like trying to gaffer tape jelly to a wall, and I'm not sure it'd allow for breathing either), but they should only move together slightly up/down with the rest of your body's moment, and definitely not independently! If you're still conscious of wobble/bounce I'd say it's not certainly tight enough or perhaps just that bra is not a great fit for you.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you! really helpful, i think i bought the wrong cup size then...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else... If it completely covers the girls and feels comfortable, I put it to the jump test.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yep, you need to make like House of Pain and jump around.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you running or doing plyo (or anything jumpy/high impact)?Then jump test in addition to the REI test above is a good idea. However, if you are very full busted, nothing is going to keep them completely contained. But, if you are just doing yoga or lifting, there's no reason to be completely immobolize them if you otherwise have a great fit. Sports bras tend to be designed for different levels of impact/activity.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The Nike sports bra keep me in place. The price of them really stinks. I bought cheaper ones from walmart (2pks). They're okay for walking and lighter activity. I noticed if I'm showing cleavage and the material really stretches then it's not a good fit for me. It's amazing how many stores have pretty/sexy sports bras...they never held the girls right.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Haha I live by this ... I don't want any jiggling whatsoever, so I buy as tight as I can.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

This and almost pulling my shoulder out of socket. HAAA
  • ceevee6
    ceevee6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a larger chest so I know I can't wear anything but a maximum support/high impact bra even for lighter impact activities like yoga and lifting (need to make sure the girls are locked and loaded). Like with jeans, the best way to know if it fits is to try it before you buy because you could be different sizes with different brands. The bra is not supposed to be suffocating but should feel tight and secure. And yes, it's going to be a pain to get off esp. if you've been sweating like cray. Your girls shouldn't sneak out of the cups when you jump up and down. There should be no side or top spillage. I particularly like the ones with slight padding (it gets chilly in gym sometimes :disappointed: and cups.
    My recent fave is the c9 high impact bra from Target. http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-high-support-sports-bra-with-molded-cup/-/A-14968996?lnk=Rec|pdp|viewed_viewed|pdpv1
  • squirrlt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ceevee6 wrote: »
    I have a larger chest so I know I can't wear anything but a maximum support/high impact bra even for lighter impact activities like yoga and lifting (need to make sure the girls are locked and loaded). Like with jeans, the best way to know if it fits is to try it before you buy because you could be different sizes with different brands. The bra is not supposed to be suffocating but should feel tight and secure. And yes, it's going to be a pain to get off esp. if you've been sweating like cray. Your girls shouldn't sneak out of the cups when you jump up and down. There should be no side or top spillage. I particularly like the ones with slight padding (it gets chilly in gym sometimes :disappointed: and cups.
    My recent fave is the c9 high impact bra from Target. http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-high-support-sports-bra-with-molded-cup/-/A-14968996?lnk=Rec|pdp|viewed_viewed|pdpv1

You might like this one too (or any bigger chested ladies)! I can't. Even. Deal. with sport bra wrestling anymore. I have to go with the hook in back. I wonder if there's a tradeoff. I do get SLIGHT jiggle. but I have not found anything that DOESN'T jiggle a little, even with the uniboober deluxes. Champion's C9 does not come in my size (l'm a tiny band, big cup girl), unfortunately. But this one is secure enough to run in if you get the exact right fit. They also make a non-underwire version that I use for yoga/strength, almost as much support (but 2scared2run in). Pricey, but worth it. Looks GOOD under clothes too. I'd wear it under real clothes, it supports without squishing the dear life out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Panache-Womens-Underwired-Sports-Bra/dp/B005X5FG2O
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Wait bras aren't supposed to leave furrows in your shoulders? O.o
  • squirrlt
    Options
    shabaity wrote: »
    Wait bras aren't supposed to leave furrows in your shoulders? O.o

Hope not. I had a sports bra once that made my right arm go numb. I thought I was having a stroke.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

yepper that is the truth....lol

• Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If they stay in place, u're good to go!
    I usually wear 2 though : one tight and a medium