Good running shoe

Options
tat2cookie
tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
I've been trying to find a good running shoe for wide feet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Go get fit at a specialty running shop.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Depends on more than just width. How are your arches? Do you over pronate or under pronate and by how much?

Get fitted at a local running shop where they'll assess these things.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I got fit at our local Running Shop. It is better to get fitted. I was wearing a pair of under armor's and had to toss them after 2 wears.

The best thing I did was get fitted for the shoes and have them fit me for an insert!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    As others said, go to a specialty running shop and get fitted for shoes. Worth it!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    As others said, go to a specialty running shop and get fitted for shoes. Worth it!

This.

There are brands which come in widths. New Balance comes to mind. I think Saucony has them, too. When you're getting fitted specify that you want a wide shoe and they will bring a selection in your size and width that also meet the rest of your gait and foot form needs.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go get fit at a specialty running shop.
    This and this.

Some shoes may be above some people's budgets, so look for the previous years' model on sale if that's an issue for you!
  • tat2cookie
    Options
    I've never heard of that place. Il have to see where the closest one is to me. I live in bfe Colorado.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I've never heard of that place. Il have to see where the closest one is to me. I live in bfe Colorado.
    I don't think anyone named a place specifically.

Do you have a running store near you? Like a Running Room or specialty shoe store?
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yep, everyone here had it right ... specialty running store for a fit that is right for you. I live in TX and have a Texas Running Company store in my area. Found two pairs of shoes - Saucony and Nike lines. While these two brands are popular and can be found in "regular" stores that sell athletic shoes, the styles I got cannot be found at these places, only in the running stores. I paid some $$ for them BUT you have to invest in your health and it was sooo worth it.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store like others have said and get fitted. I didn't realize until I got fitted that I was wearing the wrong shoes and once I got the right ones it made all of the difference.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    There are lots of running shoe stores that are chains and also some that are local. Do a yellow pages search for one or two in your area. If you aren't sure if they are running-specific, call and ask if they do gait analysis and if they have a treadmill and other gear to do it. They should be watching you run to see if you are neutral, pronate, overpronate, etc. They should also check your size, width and arch height.

I started running in the wrong type of shoe for me (it had stability and I'm neutral) and my right knee was bothering me. I had picked out what were classified as "running" shoes at a Famous Footwear before I realized it made a difference. Once I got into a neutral shoe and added inserts for my nearly flat feet I had no problems at all.
  • tat2cookie
    Options
    Gotcha!!! Can you tell I'm new at this? Lol. This is the 3rd pair of shoes I've gone through this year. Thank you for all of your input!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    New Balance makes a wide array of wide width shoes. They are also the only mainstream athletic shoe manufacturer that still builds them in the USA.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Just don't get discouraged if the specialty stores can't help. I had bad experiences with them and found the shoes that work for me on my own.