How much does iodine deficiency contribute to sluggish thyroid?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
This is something I've been wondering. Personally, I know I get a low amount of daily iodine, as I don't use iodized salt, or eat much seaweed.

How much could that contribute overall in general to people who are having challenges with gaining or losing weight?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Probably not much. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid I still didn't have too much trouble losing weight. But I guess it depends on how hypothyroid you are, or if you are at all. Can you have your dr run a blood panel with TSH to see?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Probably very little. Not saying it's impossible, but iodine-deficiency is incredibly rare in industrialized nations. If you live in a developed nation, you have access to all the iodine-rich foods your body needs--eggs, dairy, meat, legumes, etc. If it grows in soil, lives in the ocean, or eats things that come from the ocean or soil--you're probably not iodine deficient.

If you're concerned about thyroid function, the best test is a full metabolic and full thyroid panel (not just TSH, but also Free T3, Free T4, and reverse T3).
  • dbmata
    Options
    Probably not much. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and before I was diagnosed as hypothyroid I still didn't have too much trouble losing weight. But I guess it depends on how hypothyroid you are, or if you are at all. Can you have your dr run a blood panel with TSH to see?
    Less about me, and more in general. However, yeah, I've had tsh run, even thought it's essentially useless as a value without corresponding t3 markers.

I know that even though the US is considered a potentially ok population with regards to iodine intake, most euro nations aren't, but then you balance that with the japanese who eat what our government would consider dangerous levels, and their prevalence of thyroid is considerably less.

Read this and got to thinking/wondering:
    http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/13/2/116.pdf
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Probably very little. Not saying it's impossible, but iodine-deficiency is incredibly rare in industrialized nations. If you live in a developed nation, you have access to all the iodine-rich foods your body needs--eggs, dairy, meat, legumes, etc. If it grows in soil, lives in the ocean, or eats things that come from the ocean or soil--you're probably not iodine deficient.

If you're concerned about thyroid function, the best test is a full metabolic and full thyroid panel (not just TSH, but also Free T3, Free T4, and reverse T3).

This is very true, although you may find it hard to convince your doctor to run this test. I went through 3 doctors before I found one that ran my T3 and T4. Typically they won't have a problem running just TSH. Also, if they are willing to do a full panel, see if they'll throw on thyroglobulin antibody as well.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't even see the point in asking and shopping docs until you can get one ordered, do it yourself via labcorp.
  • williams969
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Less about me, and more in general. However, yeah, I've had tsh run, even thought it's essentially useless as a value without corresponding t3 markers.

I know that even though the US is considered a potentially ok population with regards to iodine intake, most euro nations aren't, but then you balance that with the japanese who eat what our government would consider dangerous levels, and their prevalence of thyroid is considerably less.

Read this and got to thinking/wondering:
    http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/13/2/116.pdf

Interesting. I guess my US-centric mentality (forgive this silly Yankee) assumed wrongly that European nations would have similar iodine intake to North Americans.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out very often these days and avoid pretty much all processed food. The salt we use at the house is all "sea salt" (read: uniodionized). I also go through stetches where I don't have much dairy. I don't eat seaweed (unless it's inside a sushi roll which happens not frequently enough). All of that can lead to lowish iodine levels so I started taking a kelp tablet a couple of times per week with my fish oil and D3 and noticed a marked improvement in energy.

They're cheap insurance, anyway.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I don't even see the point in asking and shopping docs until you can get one ordered, do it yourself via labcorp.

I believe LabCorp still requires a lab order from a physician, even if paying out of pocket. See this page

https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/patient/mytest

"Lab testing must be ordered by a licensed health care professional or that person's authorized designee."
  • williams969
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is very true, although you may find it hard to convince your doctor to run this test. I went through 3 doctors before I found one that ran my T3 and T4. Typically they won't have a problem running just TSH. Also, if they are willing to do a full panel, see if they'll throw on thyroglobulin antibody as well.

True. I had symptoms (and diagnosed) post-partum thyroiditis after the birth of my youngest child. Plus an enlarged thyroid and continued overactive thyroid, so it is "easy" to get the "grand slam" of lab tests and ultrasounds, etc. when your hair is falling out, insatiable appetite, eating ALL the things, losing weight unintentionally, and a TSH of 0.11.

TSH is a good screen for additional tests IF it shows an abnormal number. However, the converse is NOT true (a mistake by too many GP's)--a normal TSH only number does NOT necessarily mean normal thyroid.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I moved to Italy from the USA 30 yrs ago. They have more thyroid problems than we do, attributed to lack of iodine. I remember that salt in the USA always had iodized written on it. Several years ago the Italians started adding iodine to some salts--but not all. They use sea salt alot. I was used to iodized salt and always bought it when I could find it. :)
  • galgenstrick
    Options

True. I had symptoms (and diagnosed) post-partum thyroiditis after the birth of my youngest child. Plus an enlarged thyroid and continued overactive thyroid, so it is "easy" to get the "grand slam" of lab tests and ultrasounds, etc. when your hair is falling out, insatiable appetite, eating ALL the things, losing weight unintentionally, and a TSH of 0.11.

TSH is a good screen for additional tests IF it shows an abnormal number. However, the converse is NOT true (a mistake by too many GP's)--a normal TSH only number does NOT necessarily mean normal thyroid.

There is quite a bit of research going on recently that I think the newer generations of doctors or at least endocrinologists are learning this. At least I really hope so, because to deny this statement at this point in time would be like denying the earth is round.
  • dbmata
    Options

I believe LabCorp still requires a lab order from a physician, even if paying out of pocket. See this page

"Lab testing must be ordered by a licensed health care professional or that person's authorized designee."
    True, but there are some pretty easy methods to get around that, which is beyond the scope of this thread, but easily searchable on the googles.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

True, but there are some pretty easy methods to get around that, which is beyond the scope of this thread, but easily searchable on the googles.

If that is true, I owe you one! I'm checking it out now.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I had some minor thyroid problems because of iodine deficiency when I was a teenager. I grew up in a household where a pound box of salt lasted us a year or more. We didn't use salt shakers except when we had guests and then we had to search for them LOL. Apparently we also didn't eat many things that had iodine in them.

All I had to do to correct it was make sure I got iodine (through supplements then) into my diet. I was very thin, actually just plain skinny, growing up.

Now, I make sure I use some iodized salt. I am still not much of an added salt user and still don't keep salt shakers. When people come over and ask for salt, they get handed the whole pound box to pour some out LOL.

I've lived in the US almost my entire life.