Success in eating back exercise calories

2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Pattie74 wrote: »
    Ok, should I not put in MFP any intention to exercise?
    The part where it asks how many times a week you plan to workout is just so you have a goal to strive for. It doesn't effect the calorie goals at all. In other words, MFP doesn't trust you to workout as frequently as you claim you will and so you don't get calories for working out until you do it/log it. Does that make sense?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    I eat back my exercise calories and I have been so successful that I hit my goal early and decided to lose more weight.

That said, I have my own system for determining how many calories my exercises burn. For anything outside of steady-state cardio, I use low estimates.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I have MFP set to lose 1lb a week and I don't eat back exercise calories, apart from maybe once every couple of weeks I eat back some of them. I workout a lot, and I also walk a lot, and I'm lucky to lose 0.5lbs some weeks. I use a scale to weigh food too. So eating back exercise calories wouldn't work for me.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    My doctor and my personal trainer/nutritionist both agree that eating back calories is important if you are working out regularly. As my PT says, you have to fuel your workouts. I eat about half of mine back (sometimes more if I am wicked hungry) to account for any errors in my logging and because calorie burn from exercise can vary. I have lost 15 pounds since Christmas so about a pound a week. Even half a pound a week would be success for me.
  • I eat back half of my exercise calories. In under ten months, I've lost over 56 pounds.