What and when was the moment you realized that you needed to make the life change of losing weight?

Options
What and when was the moment you realized that you needed to make the life change of losing weight? I'll start: Pretty much since I've been a teenager I've been insecure about my weight and figure. Even when I was slim and healthy I was insecure. Every other week I would try to eat less or healthier but then I'd fall back into bad habits days later. I spent years like this until I went from 160lbs to when i decided to make the change 2 months ago at 218lbs. It was only last December, a few days before Christmas when I had looked at a photo that me and my boyfriend took in a photo-booth at a mall that day when I really realized just how big I had let myself get. I decided then that I needed to be serious and make some big life changes. It's 2 and a half months later and I have lost 25lbs and I have not looked back. What is your story?

Replies

• davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My partner and I were buying life insurance. We had to have blood work and a whole assessment from the company. I am a thousand times more healthy than her, but she is skinny, and I was about 10 pounds into the overweight category. I was infuriated at the idea that she might get a lower rate than me, just because she weighs less. I joined mfp right after that.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The moment none of my clothes from my second (larger) wardrobe fit anymore. Also when my belly fat started crushing my internal organs every time I sat down.
  • kiomayoko
    kiomayoko Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started after two break ups in a year. While neither of my ex said weight was an issue yet I couldn't help but look in the mirror and think that it was part of it. So I decided to start on a better me not for them but for myself.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I was sick and tired of being sick and tired.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was a wiry, skinny kid because I was underfed and overactive, so when I got to college and life slowed down and I was allowed to eat what/whenever I wanted, I put on about 20 pounds. I'm tall, so people say I "carry it well" or whatever, but it's kind of hung around the last ten years or so. How you feel isn't necessarily how you look; I thought since I felt like the same thin person I'd been, I was still thin, but I realized that it had been a long time since I'd seen a picture of my body that I was really happy with, so I figured it was time to buckle down and lose 10 or 15 pounds.
  • thathelenagirl
    thathelenagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sadly I've always been unhappy with my image. Broke up with my ex last April after 7 years together and just gained and gained and gained.... went to Six Flags in August and sitting on my favorite roller coaster there was almost painful... knew that it was time to take it seriously, but it took me awhile to get serious about it!!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down the roller coaster many times. One of my low points was seeing a picture of myself playing softball. My gut looked pretty bad and I was running in the picture. Over a year ago, I decided to go with a slow weight loss pace, be consistent on MFP and workout regularly doing what I liked. One of my NSV's was getting off of blood pressure medicine.
  • Megoondas
    Megoondas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It was something I knew I had to do for a long time, but one day, I suddenly had an epiphany. There was nothing specific that triggered it; I think it was a culmination of all these little realizations. I was sick of feeling like crap all the time, I was sick of the way my clothes fit me, I was sick of looking back at my older pictures to see a healthier me, and frankly - I was sick of making excuses. I was unhappy with myself, so I made the decision that I was just done with it. My decisions are mine alone. There's no reason for me not to be healthier - my husband is supportive, I know what to do to be healthier, and I have the resources available for me to achieve a better me.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I saw a picture of an morbidly obese girl and said to myself "wow I have that same exact shirt" as it turns out that morbidly obese girl in the photo was ME! I didn't even recognize myself I had let my weight get so out of control.
  • joanne3059
    Options
    I had always been overweight since childhood and I would gain about 5 to 10 lbs per year and not really think too much about it. I dieted several times in my adult life and always lost some, but gained back more each time. Still, I was always in good health and could do all of the things I wanted to do, so I didn't think it was that much of a problem, until it became a problem in a big way. I was living alone in Ga and my place of business closed down. I could not find a job that I could do that would pay my bills and I became stressed and depressed and then my last living grandparent was diagnosed with terminal cancer and I became even more depressed. I began eating for comfort and gained about 120 pounds in 2 years. I developed very high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea and extreme water retention and lymphodema in my lower legs. I had no insurance since my job had closed down and I did not know what was wrong with me. I had so much fluid built up in me that I could not keep my breath just walking across the room and my legs had places where clear liquid would ooze out 24/7. It was a nightmare and I thought I was dying. The worst of all though, was the pain in my lower back and sometimes down my legs. It got where I could only walk 50 feet and then my back was so seized up and painful that I had to sit and it would ease up some. I lived like this for about a year and then finally got to go to a doctor and find out what was up and get meds to help everything except for my back. I did go for an mri and they showed me the 2 bulging discs and the bone spurs growing off my spine and then said that they were not going to do anything to help me. I closed down for about 3 days and lived in the dark just crying and thinking about ending it all. I decided not to die and to try diet and exercise just one more time. July 2014 I began my own diet and exercise plan and as of today I have lost 50 pounds. I have a long long journey ahead of me and probably 120 more pounds to lose, but I have learned that I can do it!
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I went to a family reunion this summer and realized I was in hardly any of the pictures because I didn't get up from a picnic bench all day except to get food. I had never been afraid to participate or be in pictures though I have been overweight most of my life, but last year I was at my highest & it was starting to affect my ability to participate in the mildest of activities. I didn't want to miss out on any more important life moments.
  • bluesarah13
    bluesarah13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My moment came when I realized I couldn't even walk up to my 3rd floor apartment without being completely out of breath. And I couldn't carry my beach chair and bag from the parking lot to the beach without stopping for a rest. I was disgusted with myself and decided I no longer want to be like that.
  • clayfield0813
    clayfield0813 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome question. I realized when I could no longer keep up with my kids. I am growing older. Also the fact that I may get health problems due to excess weight. I love my family too much to not try to fix this.
  • clacoste0102
    clacoste0102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I was at thanksgiving dinner and my mother in law took a pic of me, my husband and my kids and when I saw the photo it made me sick....wonder I let this happen. I was told when I found out I have PCOS that I need to change to a low carb diet for insulin reasons but I refused and now I have to deal with trying to lose all this weight.
  • KingsGirl4
    KingsGirl4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight and dieting since middle school but it wasn't until last year when I became plus-sized that I decided to put my foot down. Not only is being overweight and plus-sized unhealthy, but it was just an annoying lifestyle. I couldn't find clothes that fit and when I did, they were terrible quality and ugly (and also a lot more expensive than regular sized clothing). I also had to replace my entire wardrobe which was expensive. So that added responsibility in my lifestyle wasn't worth it. I finally started to lose the weight and am no longer plus sized! I did have to buy another new wardrobe though, but this time it was fun!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    in august 2013 my husband and i vacationed at a resort in the Poconos. On site, they have professional photographers taking pictures. One of the pictures was taken with me on his lap...and I just looked SO overweight. I didn't purchase that picture, although now I wish I had since it's become my motivation! I still have others from that trip and I use them to keep pushing me forward! I started working with a trainer within 2 weeks of my return home -- and haven't looked back!
  • ryanp_942
    ryanp_942 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    In England we usually use stones and pounds for weight. I was used to the scale reading 10st Xlbs (specifically between 140 to 150lbs) from the age I was fully grown ~16. This was still on the chubby side but within the healthy BMI range for my height. By the time I turned 18 (when PE/gym class had long since stopped being mandatory and I could drive to school instead of walking) the scale had gone up to 11st 8lbs (162lbs). Seeing the 11 was bad enough, seeing I was halfway to 12 kicked me into action and I joined the gym and started eating healthy.

After a few months I was back to 10st / 140lbs and kind of stopped going to the gym and eventually fell back into old habits. For 2 years however I had never gone back to 11st. That is until the Christmas just gone when I topped out at 11st 3lbs. I was furious with myself and committed to a long term progressive weight loss goal on MFP.

So far I've logged 37 days and lost 8lbs. I'm used to losing weight faster when I'm really trying but this slower weight loss has been more sustainable. I usually stop dieting after a week or two, I never thought I'd see 37 straight days logged! I'm hoping to reach my 'ideal' weight of 9st 8lbs (134lbs) by summer. I've not been that weight since I was 15 but I'm determined to do it this time :smile:
  • cheerupbrighteyes
    cheerupbrighteyes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me, it was September 2012 and I was looking at photos just taken at Disney World. I was horrified, and very overwhelmed in general. I took spring semester of college off and lost 50 lbs between January 2013 and April 2014, fluctuating 10 lbs here or there. Well, I got a lovely boyfriend and got a little comfortable + working on my senior semester + stress of a new job + moving and slowly I've gained 15-20 lbs and got out of shape. 11 days ago I ate an entire pizza by myself, the next day I started logging my food again on mfp and I've been actually using my gym subscription I was just about to cancel! My boyfriend and I are planning a beach trip at the end of this month and I want to feel as confident as possible. Also, I've had these goal pants in my closet for over a year..