Anybody tried Allii?

Options
bloblynda
bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
THis diet aid called Allii has been heavily promoted on TV recently. It claims to be able to lose 1 lb for every 2 lbs you lose yourself. I had heard that it has some awful side effects including having to rush to the bathroom often. I think it contains an ingredient which stops fat being absorbed. Sounds dangerous to me, but have any of you tried it?

It's only supposed to be used by people over 18 and with a BMI of over 30 but Watchdog on TV (consumer affairs programme) recently outed some chemists selling it online to underage and skinny people

Replies

• leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    All ive heard is bad things about it.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    its the only FDA approved weight-loss supplement but you should still treat it as any other weight-loss pill. Easy come= easy go.

and yes, the way it works is that if the fat content of a meal is too high, it will not absorb the excess fat. terrible side effects (oily discharge, very runny stool, etc)

even if it doesn't result in death in the long term, i still see it as a weight-loss pill and will therefore avoid it like i would any other.
  • sexylonglegs
    sexylonglegs Posts: 278
    Options
    all i have to say is NO NO NO
  • becca0wnz
    becca0wnz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did Alli for about 3 months. It really keeps you on track because of the"crappy" side effects. You drink 1 blue pill with each meal. Let me just say this, if your eating habits tend to slip every once in a while, even if it is one day, you will be glued to that toilet like nobody's business. I highly recommend you research this before you try it. I personally, dont like having my cheeks clenched all day because im afraid to fart in fear of having an orange grease stain on my underpants. I did lose about 20lbs while i was on it with diet and exercise. It is said to reduce your fat intake by 25%. Good luck!
  • bloblynda
    Options
    Oh No - I've no intention of trying it. I just wondered what other peeps thought of it
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I tried it but didn't see much of how it helped me lose! Again there is no magic pill to help you lose the weight. It is done by good old fashioned excercise and watching your calories / portions and what you eat. Which this means lots of fresh vegetables, fruit and lean protein! :flowerforyou:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!! GROSS!!! TMI
  • austinusn
    austinusn Posts: 38
    Options
    Yes, generally agree with what has been said. One thing to keep in mind is that it IS a pill -- if it works for you that's great, but, you are developing an (expensive) dependency on the pill and once you stop, the pounds will come back.
  • corrine_manley
    corrine_manley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It may seem like TMI but becca is right! I tried Alli too for about 2 weeks. It was all I could stand it. I was scared to go in public.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i have also heard the "scared to leave the house" thing more than once, think i am gonna stick with MFP, healthy eating and exercise. it is working so far!!:smile::flowerforyou:
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Yes, and to be quite blunt, after every meal you poop out this oil which I guess is supposed to be the fat coming out. I couldn't stand the feeling. It was nasty!!!!!!:embarassed:
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have Orlistat which is from the Doctor which is a stronger version of Alli.

I see that lots of people have noted the side effects hahaha, I so far have had none! I had one bad evening where I ate 2x Sausages but it was over as quick as it started.

There are alot of meals where the tablets dont even effect me.

The most weight I've ever lost in a week is 3lb, which to me is grand. My mum also had Orlistat a while ago and she lost nearly 5 stone and has kept it off (she doesnt have the pills anymore)!

I guess you get back what you put into it, if you have high fat meals, you get a very upset stomach, but a healthy diet you get hardly any side effects, TMI alert: I go once a day on a morning, its all I've ever gone and yes its different now, but its not that uncomfortable. IMO anyway :blushing:
  • bloblynda
    Options
    EEEEEeeeeeewwww - Definitely TMI:sick:
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just like another poster said ...NO NO NO

I don't care if this pill is FDA approved , there is no way that those side effects are normal. Sounds dangerous to me. MFP along with exercise , eating a healthy diet is what works!!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I personally, dont like having my cheeks clenched all day because im afraid to fart in fear of having an orange grease stain on my underpants
    :sick: I'm staying away from anything that has a side effect of "anal leakage" :sick:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Orlistat and Alli rob your body of fat that is important for your body functions...........

Some vitamins need fat to be absorbed and sent to the various part of the body...........

Fat is good for your hair, skin and nails. It is also important for organ function also.

I really don't understand the "low / no fat" mentality. God gave us natural occurring fats for a reason and it is not to avoid them.

If your Doctor really cared about helping someone overcome their weight issue, why would they prescribe a drug that has the potential to cause liver damage????

This is what I mentioned in another thread about Dr's so quick to prescribe a drug with Detrimental and Life Altering side effects. I would rather stay fat than to risk the dying off of one of my organs...........
    On August 24, 2009 the U.S.Food & Drug Administration (FDA) announced that they were reviewing new safety information regarding the popular weight loss drug Alli (Orlistat) due to reports of serious liver injury and liver failure.
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it for me because I was so depressed! We'd been through my diet, I saw a nutritionalist/dietician etc etc etc

I went through all the motions, exercise, eating right and I still wasnt seeing any results! I took me 6 month to lose 3lb!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed it for me because I was so depressed! We'd been through my diet, I saw a nutritionalist/dietician etc etc etc

I went through all the motions, exercise, eating right and I still wasnt seeing any results! I took me 6 month to lose 3lb!

More than likely your doctor is over looking the "real cause" of you struggling to lose weight. I don't believe in weight loss pills and I think doctors should warn people of the book long side effects of most of these prescription drugs out here.

I would be really saddened if you were to post that you were in liver failure and needed a transplant.

it is not your fault, that is your doctor's fault. You sound like I did a couple of days ago when I went off on my family doctor for not doing the right thing and educating herself. Then, I fired her and have now found a Doctor that found Root cause to my health issues, which is Endocrine disorders, better known as hypothyroidism and Adrenal Fatigue.

Tomorrow, I will begin my treatment program.