getting up to speed after a stomach bug?!

Options
So the whole family went through an awful stomach bug. I can eat food today but still don't dare try veggies or beans or fruit, sticking to plain yogurt and bananas and chicken soup and not much of an appetite either.

Haven't exercised in three days and down almost 2 kg which I hope is water weight and not precious lean mass :( (I am obese so I hope the lean mass is still somewhat protected?)

How do you get back on track after something like that? Do you force yourself to eat more, try to up your protein or do you just take it easy with the food for as long as it takess? I am mostly lamenting my protein macro which seems to have gone down the drain this week... How long do you wait to start exercising? I actually have tummy DOMS from doing other things than exercising while ill... Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Take it easy! Your goals can pause for a week while you heal. It's about being healthy and taking care of ourselves, right?

Eat what you feel you can. Stay hydrated. You may want smaller portions at first, even once you feel better, so if you're a fast eater like me, sort of plan for that. (Plate less, eat slowly, etc.)

I'd avoid starting strenuous exercise. But "start moving more" if you are feeling a little better is a good idea. Go for a short walk, attempt a couple of chores. Sometimes, you feel pretty well until you get moving and realize you had a lot less energy than you thought.

And no, I don't think you'd lose 2 kg of muscle in 3 days. Probably mostly water.

I do hope you feel better soon!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just eat normally again when you feel better. Start with things that are easy to digest like rice, chicken, applesauce... For exercise, start with walking or something easy until you have more energy. Seriously, don't worry about it, I had two bad stomach bugs during my weight loss and it didn't have any impact at all.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    This is one of the times it is important to listen to your body. Don't push foods right now. Let your body and digestive system heal. As for protein try mild, white fish such as tilapia or barramundi or halibut, if you have any or can get to the store.

Walk, stretch, and rest. You'll recover soon enough.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, you are right, it just doesn't feel right to push it. It is reassuring to know that there won't be long term impact. Thanks!