Do you eat all your calories and still lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 24 years old and 5'8. To lose half a pound a week MFP is telling me to consume 1,840 calories daily to lose weight. For those of you who have lost weight while using this app, did you eat all of your calories and still lose weight?
    oh-yes.gif
    You lot all suck! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::wink:

I'm 5"8, 140lbs, age 42 and my maintenance calories are 1600 :disappointed:
    Really? I'm same height, few years older, and went from 140 to 133 on 1800-2000 a day. Could be a difference in activity levels though.... I'm still eating around 2000 a day, give or take depending on the day, and basically maintaining, possibly still lowering body fat slightly, but haven't taken measurements in awhile. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @AmyRhubarb‌ I should have added that I'm sedentary. The only exercise I do is walking my slower than a slug dog :smiley:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    @AmyRhubarb‌ I should have added that I'm sedentary. The only exercise I do is walking my slower than a slug dog :smiley:
    Ah yes, that would make the difference of a few hundred cals. ;)
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 24 years old and 5'8. To lose half a pound a week MFP is telling me to consume 1,840 calories daily to lose weight. For those of you who have lost weight while using this app, did you eat all of your calories and still lose weight?

Your picture makes you look like you're a guy. If you are a guy make sure you're settings are at male. Seems it should be a little higher since I'm a girl at 5'8" and I have that amount.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worked for me. :)
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yep. In fact, I find I lose more when I eat all of my calories plus half of my exercise calories versus days that I don't eat all my calories and don't exercise.
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I still feel hesitant to almost max out my allotted calories, but so far it's been working out nicely.

I am firmly convinced that one of the keys to successfully losing weight is ridding yourself of the thought that it's always better to eat less. That just leads to intense hunger and eventually binging. On a healthy deficit, you don't have to suffer that much!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    This might be a silly question, but I try to eat a little less (200 calories/day) of my goal so on the weekend I can enjoy a few glasses of wine. Do others bank calories for things like that - or for splurges like vacation or holidays meals? Does this seem to work or backfire?

I am a little more extreme than this, I eat around 1200 a day weekdays then eat 2000+ on weekends and steadily lose weight. I've lost 24kg/52lbs in 12 months doing that and it's kept me sane and "on the wagon". It's something I can keep up for life, I believe.

I average 1700 cals a day (5'4 currently 163lbs), I eat 1500 mon-fri, so I can eat more on the weekend. I ate 1500 all this week and tomorrow will be around 2700 cals (chinese food!) and sunday around 1800 cals, which will put me under my weekly goal. I've lost 20 pounds in 2 months (and one week)
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been pleasantly surprised that for the few weeks I've really been using the app that the goal I set myself of 750g (1.5pounds I think) off per week and the calorie level MFP gave me to achieve it has actually worked and I've achieved an average of 800g every week - now just to keep up the momentum
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Yup...definitely.