Want to start lifting weights correctly/safely

Options
Sorry for what I'm sure is a repeat. I've tried searching on here but can't find what I'm looking for. I want to start lifting weights, and I'm worried about learning to do it correctly, avoiding injury, etc. I have no experience with this, never even planned on doing it until I started reading here, so I'm completely lost. Although I would like to eventually work with a trainer, it just isn't an option right now. I do have access to weights, though.

I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for reputable programs, instructional videos, or anything else that can help me learn. Thanks.

Replies

• motorsportcfd
    Options
    Free weights or machines?

Machines will help you with your form since the isolate muscle groups and help correct your posture. That helps you get used to the form used for free weights. It also helps you condition your muscles to those movements so you are less prone to injury.

If you're looking to do free weights, go look on YouTube. There are thousands of videos showing different exercises and the correct form. My piece of advice here is that you practice with light weights until you feel comfortable with your form and then increase the weight. Most people tend to lose form when they are lifting heavier than they should (think of the dude doing bicep curls and using his back to "throw" the dumbell into a curl).
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Problems being caused by lifting heavier than you should makes sense. For now I will be using free weights because I don't have access to machines. That's one of the things that worries me. I could be wrong, but it seems like it would be easier to do more damage or cause more injuries with free weights.

I've found some videos on YouTube. While it's great that there are so many available, that's also part of the problem. There are so many options to search through, and I don't know enough to make any kind of judgement about whether they're giving me good information. I guess I was hoping to find out if they're are any who are widely respected.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dumbbells or barbells? For barbells, there are a number of good beginner programs. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women are three that are highly thought of.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Massive tip here: Film yourself.

After watching videos for the form, use the bar for the exercises you are doing. Film your form.

If it is perfect, gradually add weight and film your form each time.

Keep going until you are up to a weight where you can do between around 4-7 reps (deadlifts, bench press, squats and overhead press) and around 8-12 reps for isolations.

(rep ranges are a guide, it's usually recommended to stay lower reps for compounds and higher reps for isolations)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’d go to youtube and watch some videos. Eventually, you’ll find some of the best trainers on there that give very good tutorials on the lifts. Start with no or very light weights, practice the moves, and as recommended above, film yourself (you’ll often need front and side views to get the full picture). Rinse and repeat.

Once you’re able to do the exercise with good form through your full range of motion (not all of us are *kitten* to the floor squatters), begin adding weight. If you want strength, go with lower reps (3 - 5), muscle mass is medium reps (6 - 10), and muscle endurance is high reps (11 - 25). Once you’re consistently in the top of the rep range with good form, add more weight.

Enjoy!
  • Justcallme_J
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought of filming myself, but I definitely will. I'm already dreading watching it because I'm sure it will be cringe inducing, but it will be worth it to do this right.
  • Justcallme_J
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Dumbbells or barbells? For barbells, there are a number of good beginner programs. Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women are three that are highly thought of.

I have both. I've heard of New Rules of Lifting several times so I went ahead and ordered that on amazon. I also found a strong lifts website and will go through it later when I can spend more time on it. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I hadn't thought of filming myself, but I definitely will. I'm already dreading watching it because I'm sure it will be cringe inducing, but it will be worth it to do this right.
    Try Stronglifts 5x5 or Ice Cream fitness 5x5 both very good beginner full body programs

Definitely get advice or read up on correct form(especially for Deadlifts and squats) and keep the weight light until the form is bang on :)
  • Justcallme_J
    Options
    Once you’re able to do the exercise with good form through your full range of motion (not all of us are *kitten* to the floor squatters), begin adding weight. If you want strength, go with lower reps (3 - 5), muscle mass is medium reps (6 - 10), and muscle endurance is high reps (11 - 25). Once you’re consistently in the top of the rep range with good form, add more weight.

Enjoy!
    This will probably sound completely stupid, but I don't know what I want. I'm not even sure what the difference between mass and strength is. Honestly, I kind of thought one lead to the other. Endurance seems pretty self explanatory at least.

The reason I want to do this is because I have a significant amount of weight to lose. I've lost 56 pounds so far and already seeing negative effects of that. I can only imagine how much worse it will be when I'm done. I've been exercising, but from everything I've read lately, I've learned I need to lift weights to keep the muscle I have and hopefully stay strong as I lose. Because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or what I should do, it just seems completely overwhelming right now to try to do this without a trainer.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Let’s drop the term weight loss and focus on what matters, body composition. You want to lose fat and/or gain muscle. The fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. And yes, you are likely losing muscle while you lose fat. Lifting will help you retain muscle during fat loss.

As for muscle gain, that is mass. Yes, there is a slight correlation with strength and mass, but they are two separate things. You can maximize one of the other based on your rep scheme. Early on, I recommend training for strength. That provides a good base for later if you decide to focus on mass.