Salad venting

Options
I have been doing really well, I research things good and have made great choices for three months now. Picked a "healthy" salad for lunch. It was even called "Urban Grove Antioxidant" and I thought that sounded super healthy.
1080 calories later and Im like WTH? And it was a 19.00 lunch at that. Kick my self from multiple directions. Now Ive got 448 for the rest of the day. Daaaaaaang.

This plus "add chicken" was 1080:
urban grove antioxidant - up lettuce blend, organic baby spinach, cucumbers, celery, mint, pickled onions, raw walnuts, grapes, blue cheese, seasonal fruit, mint - lemongrass balsamic vinaigrette.

Done venting, thanks for reading. My lesson: Research everything before it hits your mouth.

Im going to go home and starve now. LOL

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Don't you hate that? I've done that before, and I think of all the tasty things I could have had instead for that same number of calories, lol.

Now I pre-log, or at least look it up first.

Maybe try a veggie and bean chili for dinner. If you make it without oil you can get a lot of food for 450 cals.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't you hate that? I've done that before, and I think of all the tasty things I could have had instead for that same number of calories, lol.

Maybe try a veggie and bean chili for dinner. If you make it without oil you can get a lot of food for 450 cals.

Thanks for reading ... LOL
    I really thing the concept of the place is healthy over all, I just ordered way off. Oh well.
    I have not had beans since changing my diet a few months back. I can probably start exploring them again. Or at least research. My wife planned cat fish and Im going to go heavy on salad tonight. Its gonna be a hungry night.
    Not sure why I didn't pre log this one, I usually do.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yeah..overall sounds like a good salad, except the blue cheese *shudder* lol. I think the walnuts OR the cheese would have been good for the fat. Plus portion size has a lot to do with it. Live and learn!
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sounds like the walnuts and blue cheese is what got you. But there are still healthy calories so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Sounds like an amazing salad.
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I first started Weight Watchers. I was like "I'm gonna get a salad and it will be so great!" and then 1000 calories later I was crying. It made me realize how many foods have "hidden" calories and how much I had to learn about counting calories. The last nasty surprise I got was from Double Dave's pizza. Literally two bites of their rolls and I was down 300 calories. And I hadn't limited myself to two bites.

Hang in there, keep counting, and you'll start to know what to look out for in foods that up the calories. :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did that with a salad that had walnuts, cranberries, and feta. There wasn't even any meat and it was at least 700 calories. You get better at this. I'm so much more aware of the little things now. People make low calorie suggestions to me and I'm like "um. no".
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »

I really thing the concept of the place is healthy over all, I just ordered way off. Oh well.
    I have not had beans since changing my diet a few months back. I can probably start exploring them again. Or at least research. My wife planned cat fish and Im going to go heavy on salad tonight. Its gonna be a hungry night.

So you made a mistake. Don't starve yourself tonight because of it. Just eat a reasonable dinner.
  • arditarose
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »

Beans! I love em. But if I want them in my dinner I usually have to cut out an ounce of my meat, and make sure to weigh them on the food scale. Typically I'd rather have the ounce of meat!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Yep, salad can be a good choice but you need to watch it, particularly your fat sources. I usually try to have salads only one (or two) fat sources and even then you need to watch your portions. Usual culprits include: avocado, nuts, seeds, oil or cream-based dressings and cheeses. The walnuts, blue cheese and dressing got you in this scenario.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    yep, been there. done that. There are so many foods that are "healthy" until you look at the calories.
  • arditarose
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    yep, been there. done that. There are so many foods that are "healthy" until you look at the calories.

What? It becomes unhealthy if you look at the calories...how?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

What? It becomes unhealthy if you look at the calories...how?

For example (and i see this a TON) there are recipes on instagram like "PALEO" "CLEAN EATING" "GUILT FREE!" that are filled with dates, cashews, coconut oil, and have roughly 5x the calories of the things their trying to imitate.

For example, i saw a "healthy" peanut butter cup recipe that was 1,400 calories per serving.

What i mean by "healthy" in that context is that they are claiming to be SOO much better for you that something with "chemicals" and then they end up being way way worse.

If it fits in your calories... by all means... but damn. Aint nobody got time for a 1,400 calorie food thats meant as a snack.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of calories but how did it meet your macros? Did you get a lot of calcium, protein, potassium, fiber, and iron in exchange for those 1000 calories? And did you enjoy it? If so...all is cool.

I have learned to look up nutrition info before I eat something so I can make sure I am happy with what it will do to the rest of my eating for the day, lol...

I saw on a thread here that someone buys Greek Frozen Yogurt instead of ice cream....so I looked for that tonight in the store because I want to make my own less-than-500-calorie Shamrock Shake at home. I found it - and saw it was 150 calories per serving. Granted, it did have 6g of protein - but in this case I am looking to cut calories. Regular Vanilla Bean ice cream is 130 calories. (I did find vanilla frozen yogurt for 100 calories per serving.) ( I do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners so I don't go for "lite" or "sugar free" stuff.)

Anyway my point is...had I not read that label before putting that in my cart, I would have purchased it thinking it was a "better choice" than the regular ice cream, which was actually fewer calories, lol.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Right. Salads are often more calories than the burger choices.

BTW, even if you go over the day's goals, you are probably still below or close to maintenance, . . . so you didn't really go over that much.
    I probably would eat the supper that I had planned and chalk up the lunch as ONE event rather than something that will mess up my evening.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Your hilarious. I have one of those fatty salads for lunch almost every day. Mine is like 600 calories. I love it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    If you worked out for an hour..that salad would be no big deal.. that's the beauty of doing your cardio..
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Right. Salads are often more calories than the burger choices.

My old work had a chicken caesar that was higher in calories than a whole (deepfried) chicken parmigiana (with tomato, ham and cheese) PLUS the side of fries that came with. I used to see women come in all the time and comment they were watching their weight and would "just have the salad".
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I did that with a salad that had walnuts, cranberries, and feta. There wasn't even any meat and it was at least 700 calories. You get better at this. I'm so much more aware of the little things now. People make low calorie suggestions to me and I'm like "um. no".

Exactly this. You get better at noticing calorie dense foods in what may initially look like a low-calorie option. That salad wasn't unhealthy, it was calorie-dense. The walnuts, blue cheese, and dressing would have been the culprits there.

My best friend is vegan and so we often go to this vegan restaurant chain in Toronto called Fresh. They don't list their calories or nutritional content, and a lot of people go there because it's healthy, not because they're vegan. Their food is certainly healthy, but people equate that as going hand in hand with low in calories, which is far from accurate. A university lab tested their most popular dish, which had about 12. It's a large bowl of food, with a decent portion of rice or noodles (both are options) so I wasn't surprised, but people interviewed for the article in which this was written in were. That's sort of the point I'm getting at. However, those people don't log their calories, you do. That will get you to start understanding the calorie density of many foods, and you can start making more conscientious choices based on that knowledge.

When I eat out, I pre-log where I can. Try looking up nutritional information before you go out for lunch, if possible. Some establishments will list this online. Be careful to pay attention to the serving size, as some places will list the calories, but it won't be for the full serving you order.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1080 calories is about the amount in my favourite sandwich. Fresh baked bun, homemade tomato sauce, jalapeño puree, a large stack of breaded veal (which is freshly butchered in house), and cheese. Oh, and it's the size of my head. Now I want a California Sandwich :'(

Sept11-CaliforniaSandwiches-Veal.jpg

348s.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Always ask for the vinaigrette on the side.