5x5 ... but not so often? or ... other options?

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
I have been working on form and figuring out the right starting place (weight) for the exercises in the 5x5 stronglifts program for the last month or so.

I have heard you and understand the need for a specific program. I know the 5x5 program is 3x/week. I just don't think that's going to be practical for me; I can't give up running that many days. (Stated a different way: I will lose my mind without my runs.)

I love lifting weights - really love it. And I want to do it right. What options do you suggest for ensuring that I hit the muscle groups without creating imbalance, but am not pulling such a huge time block away from my runs? TIA.

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I have been working on form and figuring out the right starting place (weight) for the exercises in the 5x5 stronglifts program for the last month or so.

I have heard you and understand the need for a specific program. I know the 5x5 program is 3x/week. I just don't think that's going to be practical for me; I can't give up running that many days. (Stated a different way: I will lose my mind without my runs.)

I love lifting weights - really love it. And I want to do it right. What options do you suggest for ensuring that I hit the muscle groups without creating imbalance, but am not pulling such a huge time block away from my runs? TIA.

It's not uncommon for somebody who's goal or sport is running to do strength training just twice per week. If you do drop down to twice per week, then you can probably afford to do the deadlifting for 5x5 or 5x3 instead of the 1x5 (right or am I thinking another program that does 1x5?). Having the extra recovery day from lifting will help recover from the added deadlifting volume and you'll remain fresh enough for your running.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Well, 5x3 would certainly help to reduce the amount of time I spend ... even if I did only one exercise each day, I could probably get it in and still have a good 3-4 mile run before I have to go back to work. I had been trying to do all my strength work on Saturday or Sunday when I can take as long as I need. I recall one conversation where an MFP member spoke strongly against doing 5x3 instead of 5x5, but I can't remember why. I know Stronglifts only wants us to do 1x5 for deadlifts, but I think everything else is supposed to stay at 5x5. Thanks for responding!
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    OP- I run 4x a week and do SL 5x5 only twice a week. I've been pretty happy with that formula. I tried to do 3x a week last fall, but it left me a bit too fatigued.
    - I've also been taking my time building up the weight so it doesn't affect my run/bike/swim performance.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    OP- I run 4x a week and do SL 5x5 only twice a week. I've been pretty happy with that formula. I tried to do 3x a week last fall, but it left me a bit too fatigued.
    - I've also been taking my time building up the weight so it doesn't affect my run/bike/swim performance.

Gosh were you also tri-training at the same time (as doing strength 3x/wk) - and now at 2x/wk? That is amazing! Maybe I'm not being efficient enough ...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts can absolutely be done 2 days per week.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »

so ... same intensity (sets/reps), just squish the exercises over two days? any issue with changing to 3x5, do you think?
  • SBRRepeat
    Options

Gosh were you also tri-training at the same time (as doing strength 3x/wk) - and now at 2x/wk? That is amazing! Maybe I'm not being efficient enough ...

I was/ am! I've added a lot of power on the bike and strength on hills since incorporating lifting consistently. Pretty much all the Tri experts recommend incorporating strength. Joel Friel actually wrote a strength plan that is similar enough to Stronglifts that I decided to stick w/ SL (I like their iPhone app).

Like I said, though, I've been taking my time with adding weight! Usually I'll lift the same amount for 2-3 sessions before trying for a heavier lift.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options

so ... same intensity (sets/reps), just squish the exercises over two days? any issue with changing to 3x5, do you think?

Op- the Stronglifts app can automatically modify the workouts for 3x5, the author wrote that modification in.
    I just do each workout (A and B) once a week.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I would really love to know how you incorporate the lifting plan into your week (though I will still have to cut it - I just don't have the time). Would you be willing to share your routine with me? You could friend me if it's easier. I've seen you posting over in the running challenge group, too. :)
  • 4leighbee
    Options

Op- the Stronglifts app can automatically modify the workouts for 3x5, the author wrote that modification in.
    I just do each workout (A and B) once a week.

LOL ... I want to do workout B) all the time. ;)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I currently am following SL 5x5 as written, plus adding in some accessories as I feel like. I also currently run 3-5 days a week.

At first, lifting 3x a week and running was hard because I felt more fatigued. Now that I'm into it, I find it pretty easy to do.

My schedule:
    Monday: SL followed by a run or bike (depends on my mood that day)
    Tuesday: run
    Wednesday: SL followed by a run or bike
    Thursday: run
    Friday: SL followed by a run or bike OR a crossfit WOD instead of SL (something new I started 3 weeks ago)
    Saturday: yoga or active rest day
    Sunday: long run or ruck

I haven't personally noticed my runs or lifts suffering from the other. Like I said, at first was difficult to do because my body wasn't used to lifting heavy then running, but now it's much easier. At the beginning, I had to cut my mileage a bit, but my cardio endurance didn't suffer. Once I upped my mileage, I was right back to where I was before cutting it down.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options
    I would really love to know how you incorporate the lifting plan into your week (though I will still have to cut it - I just don't have the time). Would you be willing to share your routine with me? You could friend me if it's easier. I've seen you posting over in the running challenge group, too. :)
    Of course! I don't post often, the whole reading the forums and participating in challenges is new , lol.

My training volume is up to 12-15 hours a week right now, which I openly admit is complete lunacy.
    Right now, I lift at 5 am 2x a week, swim at the same time 2x a week. After work, I do mid distance runs, occasionally incorporate a yoga class if the muscles are feeling particularly unhappy. I do a long run and long bike on Weekends, plus a spin class with a brick run on the other not-running day. I use the training log template out of The Triathlete's Training Bible and plan out my whole week, and I build volume for three weeks, then take a rest week. I'm pretty type-a about the whole thing, to say the least
    Once weather gets warmer and I start racing regularly, I'll probably reduce the lifting a bit, still do two sessions, but go for slightly higher reps/ lower weight.

I can give you more details, just let me know!
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Of course! I don't post often, the whole reading the forums and participating in challenges is new , lol.

My training volume is up to 12-15 hours a week right now, which I openly admit is complete lunacy.
    Right now, I lift at 5 am 2x a week, swim at the same time 2x a week. After work, I do mid distance runs, occasionally incorporate a yoga class if the muscles are feeling particularly unhappy. I do a long run and long bike on Weekends, plus a spin class with a brick run on the other not-running day. I use the training log template out of The Triathlete's Training Bible and plan out my whole week, and I build volume for three weeks, then take a rest week. I'm pretty type-a about the whole thing, to say the least
    Once weather gets warmer and I start racing regularly, I'll probably reduce the lifting a bit, still do two sessions, but go for slightly higher reps/ lower weight.

You are fabulous. And absolutely out of my league. LOL ... thank you so much for giving this info to me. It helps to know (have a reminder) that we can adapt, based on our circumstances.
  • SBRRepeat
    Options

You are fabulous. And absolutely out of my league. LOL ... thank you so much for giving this info to me. It helps to know (have a reminder) that we can adapt, based on our circumstances.

Hahahaha, thanks for the ego boost! I needed that tonight.
    It actually just occurred to me the other day that this time last year was the first time I ran two miles without walking. I'm still comically slow, but I can run 10x as far, so I'll take it.
    You'll catch up with me :smile:
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options

All full body plans for weight training on a basic level are aiming for progressive overload and hitting each muscle group to avoid imbalances.
    So aslong as you are increasing the weight/intensity/TUT etc and being consistent then you will progress.

Terry
  • 4leighbee
    Options

All full body plans for weight training on a basic level are aiming for progressive overload and hitting each muscle group to avoid imbalances.
    So aslong as you are increasing the weight/intensity/TUT etc and being consistent then you will progress.

Terry

Thank you - this is as I had hoped and kind of expected. So - I'm a little less badass than some, but the progression is still healthy and much better than doing nothing. The key is that I focus on avoiding imbalance - i.e., don't just do squats because I like them.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Two things, you can get some gains through just one session a week, but I’d still recommend more. How about one day on, two days off? You can run one of those days, which will have you lifting 2 - 3 times per week, and running 2 - 3 times per week.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    I could do 2 lifting, 4 running ... it sounds like that's necessary anyway because I shouldn't (right?) do all those lifts on the same day. So I can give up on day of running mid-week. That seems reasonable to me, and smarter than just once a week.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Lifting twice a week is perfectly fine and will get you plenty of results. SL or any similar whole body split is the perfect program for that.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I have a plan that I can feel good about.