Weight is up and down and ab muscles separated due to labor

Options
I have been doing moderate exercise past 3-4 months but my diet was bad. I got serious about my diet the past month and am eating a very low calorie diet (1200 calories) and want to lose 20lbs, the weight I was before kids. I actually lost 8lbs in 2 weeks but one day I will be up 2lbs then back down, up 2lbs, and back down. Seems I'm not losing any more weight just gaining and losing 2lbs. I exercise 6 times a week 2hrs a day. 1 hr cardio 1 hr weights. I take Les Mills Body Pump twice a week and Les Mills Body Combat twice a week. My biggest problem area is thighs and stomach. Since having kids my ab muscles are separated and have a huge gap. I was doing ab work for the longest time not knowing that that would make it worse. I have a huge pooch and belly fat that just won't go anywhere. I am now trying to strenghten those muscles doing specific ab work targeting my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The separated abs get together with time, can't tell you how long, but long... You don't have to do ab work to have nice abs, just a progressive resistance training program, and you most emphatically should not be losing 8lb a week if you have only 20lb to lose - it will be first water weight and then a large proportion of muscle mass, why would you want to do that to your body?

Check out the stickies in the weight loss section and the getting started section. They're stuck there for a reason. Set your goal on MFP to 0.5 or max. 1lb a week, eat back some of your exercise calories, get some sort of resistance training. Lifting heavy will do a lot for your abs and core.
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    I lost 8lbs in 2 weeks, so 4lb a week but I haven't lost since. Stubborn 2lb has been up and down. My youngest is 5 and seems these muscles just never went back to normal, sigh. I lift heavy and will continue doing weights. I will look into more resistent training. I really need to figure out a good nutrition plan.
  • rawkit2015
    rawkit2015 Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So I lost 8lbs and need 20lbs to go, total 28lb.
    I am 5'4.

Current weight: 140-142lb (fluctuates)
    Goal: 120lb
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is a form of resistance training, I think compound lifts are best for activating the core along with other major muscle groups but will let the experts weigh in (ha!) because I am still a newb there.

In my own case, the ab muscles stayed separated for a few years too but did close after that, frankly I never noticed when exactly, but at least a few years after birth (one kid only).

But regarding the nutrition plan, from what I've read here about lean people looking to get leaner, it's a matter of maintaining a small deficit but maintaining it carefully - weighing food etc, because the error margin with a small deficit is low. Again I hope someone more knowledgeable comes along to help. Good luck!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    with so little left to lose maybe go with 1lb a week. 1200 cal is super tough to maintain. if your working out 2 hrs a day u are not getting enough calories. this can actually hinder your weight loss and cause u to lose muscle mass. it will take awhile. but better to be healthy
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    also lifting weights 6 days a week an hour each day is wayyy over kill.
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    Thank you wiseandcurious! I'm a total newb and just jumped into everything at the gym hoping the weight would come off quick.
  • rawkit2015
    rawkit2015 Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do lower body 3 times a week, and upper body 3 times a week with weights, including the classes.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    still too much. especially if your new to lifting. with such low calories and lifting for an hour per day ur going to run into trouble. i would cut down to 30 min 4 days a week. what is ur height and current weight?
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    * by the way i am in no way trying to sound mean. im a mom who had two c-sections and my stomach muscles are seperated. i lift weights regularly . im trying to lose the last 20lb . i have lost 50lb a few years back and kept that off
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    I totally understand :smile: but if I feel great and not fatigued, should I be fine? I'm 5'4 and starting weight was 148lb, now I am down to 140lb. My goal weight is 120lb.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    how long have u been going so hard? honestly if your ok with losing muscle mass its alright..... but i really wouldn't suggest it. your already at a healthy weight for ur height so its really recommended u dont over do it on calories. if u want to work out hard go for it. but with only 1200 cals your probably not getting enough protein
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    Ok I really need to re-evaluate my fitness and nutrition plan, last thing I want is to lose muscle. I want to lose fat and gain muscle to have a tone sculpted look. I My diet right now has been a lot of fruits/veggies, eat a salad 2-3 times, smoothie in the am. Lunch and dinner consists of lean meat, potatoes or rice, and salad. Sometimes I will have a shake or protein bar instead of a meal.
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    I would go to the gym 2-3 times a week for past few months. Been going 6 days a week for a little over 2 weeks now.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    ur probably getting very little protein and basically no fat. u won't be able to build muscle at all. i hate to be harsh but u will end up one of those 'skinny-fat' girls that is slim but still has flab in places. u need waaaayyy more protein. try almonds cheese add oil to your salads. each meal should have protein. i do a smoothie for breakfast but it includes protein powder. losing weight is great but if u seriously deprive yourself it will be sooo hard to maintain
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    How much protein should I be eating a day to build mucle yet still lose body fat?
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How long since baby arrived? I was shocked at the weakness in my abs after my first -- no one had warned me about that. Be kind to yourself and give it time. It sounds like you're on the right road with calories and working out.

Are you enjoying the 2 hours of exercise? (I did, when mine were little...) If not, I think you could cut back and still have great results.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're nursing baby, you're probably not going to feel great on 1200 calories. That would have done me in!
  • rawkit2015
    Options
    I do enjoy the time I get in the gym :) it's me time! My youngest is 5 so not much of a baby anymore, yet there is still quite a gap where the muscles have separated.
  • kwjager
    kwjager Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If your ab muscles are separated you should get checked for a diastasis recti. Your OB can do it or refer you to a PT who specializes. If that's the case, a lot of the ab exercises that people are expected to do in Les Mills classes are going to be counterproductive. Planks and situps will make a diastasis recti worse.