Any 5K Runners?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    5K's are great for atmosphere. I did my first in years last fall in 23:19 and had a great time. Enjoy yours and don't worry about time just have fun!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My first 5K is in less than 2 weeks now (4/18) and I haven't been running in more than a month. Before that was almost exclusively treadmill and my problem is that I cannot pace myself without the treadmill. :( My schedule is becoming a little bit less tight (just a little), and I was able to find time yesterday to go to the gym and use the treadmill to see what I can do. I did a 5K in 36:49, with less than 20% walking.

I think I'm going to try to get to the gym 2 more times this week and just try to go as fast as I can for as long as I can, then walk, then run again when I can and see what my time ends up being. That is probably what will happen during the actual 5K so it is a better measurement. Also, it gets me used to pushing myself at higher speeds. Then I'll probably go outside next week 2-3 times to see how that works out.
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been living for 5K's lately. Completed my first of the year last month and I have 2 more this month. Really looking forward to these. Weird? I never was a runner and now, maybe I am :)
  • Roeygal
    Roeygal Posts: 26
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm doing my first ever 5k for Race For Life at the beginning of June. Going to try my best to finish it in under 45 minutes considering I'm not the best runner in the world. :smile:
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm not up to jogging yet, but I fast walk a 5k worth of miles at the trail pretty much everyday. It takes me 52 minutes. I want to wait to start jogging until I get sub200 since I have several old work injuries in my feet. But, I'm working on my mileage now. Walked 13 miles on Sunday.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Last year was the year of the 5k for me! Did 4 of them, sub 30 and then ran a 5 mile on Thanksgiving and realized how much more I like longer races any day.

Have a sprint tri, 10k, and half lined up for this year, with intentions to do a full marathon early next year.

Keep at it! :)

not wanting to squash your dreams or anything, but you should really reconsider your plan to get to a marathon. maybe take more time to get there, and spend a couple of years doing lots of halfs.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Last year was the year of the 5k for me! Did 4 of them, sub 30 and then ran a 5 mile on Thanksgiving and realized how much more I like longer races any day.

Have a sprint tri, 10k, and half lined up for this year, with intentions to do a full marathon early next year.

Keep at it! :)

not wanting to squash your dreams or anything, but you should really reconsider your plan to get to a marathon. maybe take more time to get there, and spend a couple of years doing lots of halfs.

Marathons are the worst.
  • mrssaver
    mrssaver Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 5k on the 29th of March (see profile pic). Ran it in 38 minutes which is now my person best. Had a wonderful running partner which obviously made a difference and my husband and children were at the finish line which was nice. Ran the whole way. Just started to run outside just before the race which is soooooo different than a treadmill. Already signed up for another one!!I think they could be addictive.