How much sushi?

Options

Replies

• sunshineblue1
    sunshineblue1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love sushi!! Getting tempted with all this sushi talk.....
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    If I am eating sushi rolls it's usually 2 rolls. If you are a fish eater, you should really try to branch out and have some sashimi and nigiri...have as much as you want, plan for it and enjoy!

Oh and the spicy tuna roll is very good :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you eat authentic japanese sushi/sashimi then you have a bit more freedom to go all out but if your planning on eating westernised sushi then its pretty much the same as eating fast/junk food. Especially the ones with cream cheese. Perhaps ask for brown rice. etc.

Wait what? Where I eat from is Japanese people making it..... but cause it's in the west does that mean it's junk?

As for brown rice... more calories for very little in return. It's not as much of a better option as people think.

Call me a sushi snob, but I have never seen a cream cheese roll at a sushi restaurant. Not a New York one, anyway. I am there for the raw fish. Occasional broiled unagi and ikura, maybe.

[haha, sorry, I just re-read the original post--I missed the Benihana thing on first pass. Nevermind what I said, OP--listen to the other people.]
  • BadAllikat
    BadAllikat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So glad I stumbled across this thread! My boyfriend and I were talking about going to get sushi, but as noobs to this tracking thing, had no idea where to start. :) Thanks for all the great suggestions that I can piggy back off of! LOL
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    As much as I can handle!! :laugh: I love sushi! Honestly...if we are going to the nice sushi joint in town, which happens once a year, I don't care about calories for that meal. Just being honest!
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I loooove sushi. Did a google search and looky what I found. Now you can pre-plan your benihana meal calories. And yes branch out. I suggest sharing rolls so you can try more. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/benihana
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories all day or do a major workout so I can eat as much sushi as I want.
  • kiwanda88
    kiwanda88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Skip the rolls entirely. Have sashimi instead-- raw tuna, salmon, smoked eel, etc. It's delicious, high in protein, and most of the calories come from good fats. You're eating a lot of rice in a typical roll ("maki") and many of the Western varieties are packed with cream cheese, avocado, and other high-calorie items. Sashimi, in contrast, is the height of simplicity and the best sushi option in terms of net calories and taste in my opinion.
  • jdyg81
    jdyg81 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat it on my cheat day I love sushi
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I lived in Japan for 5 years..... Never saw cream cheese or brown rice lol
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at least 2 rolls. I wouldn't consider 1 roll a meal, but sushi for me is a preplanned 1,000 calorie event...I love sushi and don't get it very often. I personally don't much care for soups, but I have seen lots of people on here recommend filling up on a water based soup first before sushi.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to branch out. The crispy shrimp is probably one of the higher calorie option. I personally love a rainbow roll or a california roll...if you don't like raw fish you can also ask the server if they offer imitation crab or cooked fish options. Also, the vegetarian rolls are also pretty yummy.

I'm with this chick all the way. The rainbow roll at benihana was a little TOO much fish for my FIRST sushi adventure. The Lasvegas roll is thier 'signature' roll, and its deep fried but its REALLY yummy. I always get a spicy tuna roll or a spicy salmon roll. The Gotham roll is freaking awesome as well. The Fishbowl drink is what I get when I go in for happy hour. Dont skimp on Sushi.. make it a cheat day or workout or fit it in your diet somehow. I absolutly LOVE sushi AND benihana
  • emily_ebooks
    emily_ebooks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to vegetarian rolls or salad rolls. Our local supermarket sells "skinny salad rolls" which are basically lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers wrapped in rice paper and they are delicious and they're like 170 calories for 8 pieces.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Avoid rolls with Cream cheese and any type of "spicy" could means they mix sriracha sauce with full-fat mayo. Always great to started with edamame for a low cal, high protein snack. Some sushi restaurants offer rolls that are wrapped in cucumber slices versus rice. Choose wisely, enjoy a nice night out, and if you feel guilty just add an extra workout in the following morning!
    They make sushi with cream cheese?..........that has to be an abomination in most parts of the world.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Start with the miso soup - so good for, like, almost no calories. I often get squid salad too, which isn't bad at all - and also delicious. I usually get a kappa maki - cucumber roll - very few calories and I really like the simple, clean taste. Then I usually get one "splurge" roll - California roll or shirmp tempura roll. There are lots of fairly low-call veggie rolls; a place that I used to go to in Lafayette, IN had pickled gourd roll - OMG - so good!!

Have fun!
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'll usually get six pieces :) Maybe seven if I decide to have vegetable sushi. I always get brown rice.
    I can't fit in any more than that! I can't understand how you guys eat so much!! Don't you find the rice super filling?
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my weakness lol. I usually plan my sushi fiesta so days prior to that I make sure I go under everyday by like 100, then make sure i workout tons (lol) and finally just enjoy myself during my sushi feast. :P but if you are really cautious about what you eat, here is a site that estimates various types of sushi http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I'll usually get six pieces :) Maybe seven if I decide to have vegetable sushi. I always get brown rice.
    I can't fit in any more than that! I can't understand how you guys eat so much!! Don't you find the rice super filling?

Theres a place called Yellow tail in Akron, I think? and it is all you can eat sushi bar OMG. I gained 5 pounds in water weight from all the sushi there.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Avoid rolls with Cream cheese and any type of "spicy" could means they mix sriracha sauce with full-fat mayo. Always great to started with edamame for a low cal, high protein snack. Some sushi restaurants offer rolls that are wrapped in cucumber slices versus rice. Choose wisely, enjoy a nice night out, and if you feel guilty just add an extra workout in the following morning!
    They make sushi with cream cheese?..........that has to be an abomination in most parts of the world.
    Philadelphia roll....raw salmon & cream cheese. Omnomnomnomnom.

As to the OP, my answer to "How much sushi" is always "ALL the sushi!". If I'm going to a sushi restaurant I don't even worry about counting or logging - it's a cheat/refeed day and that's all there is to it. I'll start fresh tomorrow.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you eat authentic japanese sushi/sashimi then you have a bit more freedom to go all out but if your planning on eating westernised sushi then its pretty much the same as eating fast/junk food. Especially the ones with cream cheese. Perhaps ask for brown rice. etc.

Wait what? Where I eat from is Japanese people making it..... but cause it's in the west does that mean it's junk?

As for brown rice... more calories for very little in return. It's not as much of a better option as people think.

Call me a sushi snob, but I have never seen a cream cheese roll at a sushi restaurant. Not a New York one, anyway. I am there for the raw fish. Occasional broiled unagi and ikura, maybe.

[haha, sorry, I just re-read the original post--I missed the Benihana thing on first pass. Nevermind what I said, OP--listen to the other people.]

Honestly, I've had them in several Izakaya in Tokyo. Granted the rolls are "Western" and not "authentic" but the Japanese eat them just the same.

That said, brown rice in sushi is wrong on so many levels. The rice IS the sushi. Sorry, but no.

As to the OP's question, eat what fits into your calorie and macro allowances.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I lived in Japan for 5 years..... Never saw cream cheese or brown rice lol

I never walk into a sushi bar unless I have a minimum 1000 calories to play with. I want to enjoy myself.

I saw cream cheese and mayo on lots of sushi in Japan. Even at the little mom and pop shop down the street and at the conbini. Westernized or not, it's pretty prevalent.

I never saw brown rice sushi, though. I'd be afraid to order that. Brown rice, however, is available in lots of restaurants in Tokyo if you ask. Not that I did. That stuff tastes like glue.